Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spiritualism, Wicca, and Pagans

Vemillia Nightshade

All squares are rectangles, but all rectangles are not squares.

It's always been my understanding that all Wiccans are pagans, but not all pagans are Wiccans. 

A pagan is a person who is polytheistic, and believes in many gods. A pagan can also be a person who just simply worship/revere nature. Before Christianity came to be, the majority of us were pagan. We worshipped Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic, and Norse gods, and so on. Not all pagans participate or believe in magic, and there isn't anything dark about them.

A Wiccan is a person who believes in and practices witchcraft, or magick, and was introduced in the 50's or 60's. Because the Christian Bible has caused many Christians to believe witchcraft is evil, you will very rarely find a Christian who is Wiccan. It's for this reason that Wiccans do not associate with Christianity. Paganism doesn't look down on witchcraft and ritual, so this is why many Wiccans are pagan. 

I identify as an Eclectic Wiccan, and also a pagan. I don't think of the gods as literal beings, but mere representations of the aspects of this world. I could technically be an atheist in that respect. I do worship nature, however, and I believe in reincarnation. I do practice witchcraft/magick, and I do observe the quarters and cross-quarters of the year. It's my belief that we all have powers regardless of what religion we are. It's just up to us to study and develop them further. Many Christians will not do that because they are told that it's wrong. It's the Wiccans and pagans who accept their abilities/ the existance of these abilities, so that's why all this paranormal stuff gets associated with them.

Well i did play a game called "Clock Tower 1995" Miss Mary in that game is evil and practice wicca i think, since she does spells and magic and such. Although this is a strawman argument. The one i've talked too are really nice. I distinguish between reality and the non.

The only bad thing about religions is if one is fundamentally right about it and justify it by doing off with others. Its usually then that it becomes a problem. But if one truly want to believe in something they feel comfortable with, then thats perfectly fine. Its who they are ^^

http://clocktower.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Barrows

Edited by Trine
  • Brohoof 1

even though I am an athiest, i find pagan and wiccan stuff really fascinating, and i enjoy learning things about non-standard religions, and like having friends of those beliefs, and i dont know if this is just pure chance or not, but from personal experience, ive seen that pagan women are like, the nicest and kindest people in the world, so like give yourselves a pat on the back XD

• Brohoof 2

@@Vemillia Nightshade

Oh my! . . . Sorry, the title of the thread was too good to pass up.  :P

My former, not ex, girlfriend actually is a Wiccan so this world is not completely alien to me. I guess my only question would be how you became interested or felt you were called to this path?

Well the answer really isn't easy to explain. Though I'll admit, my gift awoken near my mid-teens. At the time though, I thought it was my imagination but once I looked into more with a good friend. I began to make sense of things. What helped me piece together what I was, was from a symbol I've always known. I would draw it a lot, but I never knew the meaning at first. The symbol was an old family crest related to the sun and moon. The sun being a occult of dark magic and the moon being of white magic. I was gifted with the moon side of this symbol. Though it seems that I not only wield white magic, I seem to hold all 5 points of the wiccan star in powers. I've even found that I've gain spirits inside myself which have awoken as I understood my power more. Now I stand as being one who walks dangerous path of demon hunting. The very first one I have ever defeated and came close to destroying was a hate demon seeded in myself, which I soon expelled and took down. A good friend of mine who also was a spiritualist, ended up finishing this hate demon off, killing it. I've been free of it since then.

• Brohoof 1

The sun being a occult of dark magic and the moon being of white magic.

That's an interesting flip in symbolism.

Otherwise I wish you luck on this path and only advise you to be careful. Dealing and combating the Powers What Slumber doesn't sound like an easy path to walk. 

• Brohoof 1

That's an interesting flip in symbolism.

Otherwise I wish you luck on this path and only advise you to be careful. Dealing and combating the Powers What Slumber doesn't sound like an easy path to walk. 

It's not. The darker forces do pack a wallop, and I've dealt with my fair share. With each experience I grow stronger however. I do mind what I am doing, though it's sometimes more difficult to plan ahead of your enemy.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the answer really isn't easy to explain. Though I'll admit, my gift awoken near my mid-teens. At the time though, I thought it was my imagination but once I looked into more with a good friend. I began to make sense of things. What helped me piece together what I was, was from a symbol I've always known. I would draw it a lot, but I never knew the meaning at first. The symbol was an old family crest related to the sun and moon. The sun being a occult of dark magic and the moon being of white magic.

I'm sorry, but what is this drivel? Since when has the Sun and Moon ever been black and white entities? The sun represents God/s and the moon represents Goddess/es. Neither is tied to a single morality. Both have light and dark sides, which complement the others opposite sides. Wherever you're learning this stuff is clearly mislead. The only true polar opposite are that Sun is depicted as masculine and the Moon feminine. You lose credibility with every post. .-.

I'm sorry, but what is this drivel? Since when has the Sun and Moon ever been black and white entities? The sun represents God/s and the moon represents Goddess/es. Neither is tied to a single morality. Both have light and dark sides, which complement the others opposite sides. Wherever you're learning this stuff is clearly mislead. The only true polar opposite are that Sun is depicted as masculine and the Moon feminine. You lose credibility with every post. .-.

Don't be giving me this know it all attitude. Also, HOW DARE YOU insult my knowledge on the matter. I'm talking about a something that is personal to me and the symbol I'm linked to. I'm not talking about a belief as a whole. The sun and moon have many interpretations in many cultures. No one will be the same. It's like gods in many different Religions. Sure there are some that worship the same God we do, while others has gods that may share similar qualities. The fact that you would spit on me for that is... well it's angering to put it lightly. I am open to opinions but when one blatantly insults my knowledge, let alone what I believe... I cannot stand for it. So please, unless you are going to talk about wicca, pagans, or anything spiritual, say it. Otherwise keep it to yourself.

Also if you must know, I just got home from a carrying large amount of groceries home, to find you posting this. Imagine my surprise and anger at that moment. All I wanted to to was relax, but what you did was the opposite of relaxing. I really hope you are happy.

(edited)

Don't be giving me this know it all attitude. Also, HOW DARE YOU insult my knowledge on the matter. I'm talking about a something that is personal to me and the symbol I'm linked to. I'm not talking about a belief as a whole. The sun and moon have many interpretations in many cultures. No one will be the same. It's like gods in many different Religions. Sure there are some that worship the same God we do, while others has gods that may share similar qualities. The fact that you would spit on me for that is... well it's angering to put it lightly. I am open to opinions but when one blatantly insults my knowledge, let alone what I believe... I cannot stand for it. So please, unless you are going to talk about wicca, pagans, or anything spiritual, say it. Otherwise keep it to yourself.

Also if you must know, I just got home from a carrying large amount of groceries home, to find you posting this. Imagine my surprise and anger at that moment. All I wanted to to was relax, but what you did was the opposite of relaxing. I really hope you are happy.

Well yeah. I did say it. I was pointing out the incorrect statements you were making. And funnily enough, I do have a background and interest in Wicca. But most of what you've said around are pretty much blind ramblings from somebody who's read one too many fantasy stories.

Well you are not wrong. Wiccans do deal in spells and magic but on a certain level. Very few can truly master such skills. Most masters that do exist are few and far between, but are very wise. The thing is wiccans and pagans may have differences from typical people, but we walk around as typical people. We are no different as mortals, we just have gifts that make us different in spirit.

I wouldn't know with pagans though. I would assume you are right but I wouldn't trust my word on that. My knowledge lays more towards wiccans.

You refer to Wiccans as separate to mortals and that only Wiccans can be 'gifted' with spirtual powers. The reality is that we all have that power in us, but those who practise and follow Wicca theology are able to connect with their personal power. It's not a genetic formula that you may or may not be born with(and even then would mean non-Wiccans could have it), and it certainly doesn't mean you can gain magical powers akin to an episode of Charmed.

You reckon you're imbued with the power of every element as described in the pentagram. Well, yeah. Everybody is. Each element is simply a piece that makes up a whole. Some pieces are bigger than others, and they become your prominent element. But you don't generally get some fancy-schmancy Twilight Sparkle-esque perfection. Yes, you can have more than one dominant element, and yes, you can be primarily balanced with only scant few variations in affinities. But unless you're a storybook protagonist, you don't suddenly have perfect balance. You can't achieve that simply by having a Wiccan background and some experience in the field.

And the Sun and the Moon are not perfect opposites no matter what you reckon. They're not yin and yang. They have complimenting and contrasting elements, both having its share of some. They're never considered solely good or bad and to think such goes against the very nature of Wicca and its Paganism roots. You even boldly claim that Pagans are pretty much Wiccans who delve into black magic. This is a fallacy as neither Paganism or Wicca are on the side of good or bad. You can have good Pagans and Wiccans and you can have bad Pagans and Wiccans. Again, it's not all polar opposites.

Everything you say seems like a cry for attention. You talk about being 'gifted', how only some people can have those skills, and how you managed to go around casually fighting daemons. You make yourself sound all-knowing and yet you mess up even the basics of Paganism and Wicca. Heck, what kind of Wiccan doesn't know about Pagan ancestry?

I might not be an ascended level 70 mage, but I can still define even the most rudimentary of information and can see where your knowledge ends and your gloating begins. And honestly, I'm rather offended by it. A good Wiccan wouldn't go around talking about how amazing their powers are and how many scary monsters they can magic away. A good Wiccan wouldn't put down other religions(especially Paganism) simply because they deem Wicca pure and perfect. A good Wiccan would already know that Pagans aren't the dark to their light, and know of their true depictions and origins(to what can be documented).

So before you play the "woe is me" card, actually take a step back and look at the mess you've caused by stepping in unprepared.

And on a side note, Sorry, I didn't know you just came home from a rough day of carrying groceries. I don't have your mystical abilities.

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 1

Well yeah. I did say it. I was pointing out the incorrect statements you were making. And funnily enough, I do have a background and interest in Wicca. But most of what you've said around are pretty much blind ramblings from somebody who's read one too many fantasy stories.

You refer to Wiccans as separate to mortals and that only Wiccans can be 'gifted' with spirtual powers. The reality is that we all have that power in us, but those who practise and follow Wicca theology are able to connect with their personal power. It's not a genetic formula that you may or may not be born with(and even then would mean non-Wiccans could have it), and it certainly doesn't mean you can gain magical powers akin to an episode of Charmed.

You reckon you're imbued with the power of every element as described in the pentagram. Well, yeah. Everybody is. Each element is simply a piece that makes up a whole. Some pieces are bigger than others, and they become your prominent element. But you don't generally get some fancy-schmancy Twilight Sparkle-esque perfection. Yes, you can have more than one dominant element, and yes, you can be primarily balanced with only scant few variations in affinities. But unless you're a storybook protagonist, you don't suddenly have perfect balance. You can't achieve that simply by having a Wiccan background and some experience in the field.

And the Sun and the Moon are not perfect opposites no matter what you reckon. They're not yin and yang. They have complimenting and contrasting elements, both having its share of some. They're never considered solely good or bad and to think such goes against the very nature of Wicca and its Paganism roots. You even boldly claim that Pagans are pretty much Wiccans who delve into black magic. This is a fallacy as neither Paganism or Wicca are on the side of good or bad. You can have good Pagans and Wiccans and you can have bad Pagans and Wiccans. Again, it's not all polar opposites.

Everything you say seems like a cry for attention. You talk about being 'gifted', how only some people can have those skills, and how you managed to go around casually fighting daemons. You make yourself sound all-knowing and yet you mess up even the basics of Paganism and Wicca. Heck, what kind of Wiccan doesn't know about Pagan ancestry?

I might not be an ascended level 70 mage, but I can still define even the most rudimentary of information and can see where your knowledge ends and your gloating begins. And honestly, I'm rather offended by it. A good Wiccan wouldn't go around talking about how amazing their powers are and how many scary monsters they can magic away. A good Wiccan wouldn't put down other religions(especially Paganism) simply because they deem Wicca pure and perfect. A good Wiccan would already know that Pagans aren't the dark to their light, and know of their true depictions and origins(to what can be documented).

So before you play the "woe is me" card, actually take a step back and look at the mess you've caused by stepping in unprepared.

And on a side note, Sorry, I didn't know you just came home from a rough day of carrying groceries. I don't have your mystical abilities.

Well I so appreciate it then. Making me feel like a less of person because I don't seem to know anything compared to you. I really hope you fed your ego. You only have proved how much of a jerk you really are. I'm just wanting to have a nice conversation about this, not a all out war. But I cannot have that. If I must keep things to myself, I will. I'll just shut up and never utter a word again if it makes you happy. Good day.

(edited)

Well I so appreciate it then. Making me feel like a less of person because I don't seem to know anything compared to you. I really hope you fed your ego. You only have proved how much of a jerk you really are. I'm just wanting to have a nice conversation about this, not a all out war. But I cannot have that. If I must keep things to myself, I will. I'll just shut up and never utter a word again if it makes you happy. Good day.

Look at this. This is childish. You posting a status about how you want to assault me and "hex" me is childish. You know nothing of what you think. All you're doing is using MLPf as a way to vent your edginess and press your own ego. I'm not ego stroking. I'm bringing the facts to the table and stopping your abuse of a very fine belief. You can think I'm attacking you. You can think that I'm out to ruin your day. But the reality of the situation is that somebody called out your nonsense and in a panic to save face you turned to petty insults, rather than being a mature person and at least attempting to prove that what you were saying is true(even though it's not, because I just pointing our every instance of your attention seeking).

http://mlpforums.com/statuses/user/28764-vemillia-nightshade/?status_id=597320

This is the act of somebody who doesn't actually know anything about what they're saying. I'd possibly even go as far to say you're a blight to Wicca morals and have no place in it. You want to see somebody who is actually offended because somebody is out making a farce and using it to their egotistical advantage, look no further than the person you are talking to. I wasn't here to ruin your day. I wasn't here for you. I was here to help people understand how things actually work.

And 'hex' me all you like, it will do nothing but make you feel better about your own mistakes. You don't even understand the basics of Wicca, let alone be at a stage where you can pretend to make a hex. And on the topic, the fact that heavy groceries and a differing opinion on the internet cause you to attempt something that is taboo in good Wicca shows exactly where your stance and knowledge stands.

I'm glad this thread'll die, because nobody needs to listen to your nonsense.

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As much as I do not like to take sides, I agree with Unikitty.

I've always believed that to be Pagan is to be humble, in a way. Bragging about one's gifts is quite rude, and that's just to us mortals. In Shamanism, it is said that if you brag about your power or abilities, you will lose them.

Something tells me you may be looking for trouble, Vemillia

Edited by HopeTheWanderer
  • Brohoof 1

ATTENTION!

This topic is to discuss the nature, philosophy, and spiritual practices of Wicca and various Pagan belief systems. This is an excellent platform for discussing this complex topic with many variations and flavors. If you cannot participate in the conversation in a mature and civil manner then you will be disallowed from being able to interact in this thread. No more warnings will be issued. 

• 2 months later...

I can't just believe I'm just know finding this topic Forum, but I'll share what I think with an open mind right. I love both topics of Wiccan and Pagan because I've always considered myself a mythology nerd every time I dwelled  more deeper and deeper into different types of gods from different religions like Vooduo or Voodou gods, African Gods, Greek Gods, Australian Gods, Egyptian Gods ect. Even hoped that there would be some kind of hope or way that all these gods could have actually been real and get gifts from them.

I like wicca/witchcraft a lot since I'm also a buff for supernatural, occult and other different dark and mythology things also hoping that they might be real, but not kill me. I even have tried some tried some types of spells that didn't really require a lot of materials to perform, but I felt nothing like you described in your post about pegan, wiccan, and other elements and what they can do.

So if there is anyway I can get better at that stuff, and do the things they do, it'll be cool. 

• Brohoof 1

*pokes my head in* 

More pagans! I'm always excited to see other pagans/witches/wiccans etc. I consider myself a hedgewitch who practices eclectic paganism. c: I don't do organized religion very well, so I tend to stay out of Wicca as a whole but I respect those who follow it's creed. I'm mostly into learning about medicinal remedies with plants, aromatherapy and the properties of various crystals and stones used in healing. Also..magical cooking. Totally a thing. :P

I'm also a pantheist and believe all Gods and Goddesses are facets of one divine power that is indifferent to the on goings of human life, but may also lend their powers if called to. I view this power as what one might call mother earth, and though I view this power as maternal, I do think that it's also genderless. :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Pagans aren't like wiccans. Wiccans are like pagans. Witchcraft has been around for a very very long time. Wicca is a newer, more of a religious witchcraft that blends different beliefs. I'm kind of offended that you even said that.

Pagan is a very large umbrella term for religions that are not monotheistic.

I'm just an eclectic pagan witch. Most of the spells or work I would use is traditionaly. I usually deal a large part of my beliefs with the spirit world, hedge-witchery and mythology.

Edited by Tinkh_

I'm Wiccan. I abide by the Wiccan Rede to my best abilities. I don't use magic spells or anything like that.  :P Meditation and alternative medicine is what I do.  :)

Not really interested in the supernatural or spiritual stuff. I'm very down-to-earth, as a skeptic, and an atheist.

• 1 month later...

This is a traditional wicca pentagram and the common misconception is that it is the evil pentagram used for satanic rituals.

I thought it was only satanic if the pentagram was inverted.

Do you know why satanists adopted this symbolism? 

• 1 year later...

I am an old man in my 70's.I am a Pagan and have studied Shamanic practices for almost 60 years.I have no ties with any form of organized religion as I find them all to restrictive for me.I am not a Shaman as I do not belong to a tribe of hunters and gathers and when first starting my path I set goals upon myself I will never achieve.

(edited)

"Pagan" should not be included in the title of this thread, as it applies to any polytheist, not just ones who practice a spiritual religion. Meaning that it applies to everyone who isn't a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Atheist (How I identify), or Agnostic (May be others in there, but that's what I know of). In that case, I actually did know a Pagan in high school, as she believes in the Greek/Roman Gods/Goddesses. (To be honest, I would be far more inclined to believe in these religions than any of the monotheistic religions... They actually make more sense.) 

I personally am not into the supernatural, as I personally believe that most instances of it are not real and fabricated in some way. To all their own I guess...

Edited by Nerdy Luigi

Is fluttershy a witch by any chance?. I have either way ordered the book "Modern Magick" by donald michael kraig. So i plan on study and learn it.