Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Fluttershy's "Dark Side" be explored more?

TheMisterManGuy

You may ask why I make a lot of Fluttershy topics? Well, I feel she's not only the most interesting character of the mane 6, but she's also the one with the most story potential. She has the least amount of backstory of the mane 6, she says almost nothing about her personal life, and we have zero appearance from her family. The random outbursts of rage and snark, along with holding out info for long leads me to believe that the writers are planning some huge story with her. So, should Fluttershy's dark side be explored more in Season 5?

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 3

It's canon that F was picked on as a kid, probably a lot.  She has a LOT of suppressed anger & always blows her stack at bullies.  I'd like a back story on why.  I've seen some fan fic she was an abused child or maybe overreacted violently & hurt a bully.  I doubt Hasbro will go there, but I'd still like more on her family

I always found Fluttershy to be really complex, that's why I would love to see this! We haven't seen too much of her back story/life so anything along these lines I think would be great :D Then again, I think back story for any character is great, adds story and depth to the show :) But since Fluttershy is the best (justt sayyiinnggg) seeing more of her story would be super fantastic!

• Brohoof 1

We really need more backstory and the fact that we haven't yet seems like a conscious decision. What are they waiting for? I don't think we need darkness, but of all the characters she has the most suppressed rage. We've seen it a few times, Putting Your Hoof Down and Return of Harmony. Pinky Pie is often placed on the crazy train, but that's mostly from fanfic and Party of One I guess. Pinky's bad side is way too campy for me, but Fluttershy can have an edge to her that's unnerving. It's always the quiet ones. :)

Edited by Nature's Spell

Am I the only one that thinks that Fluttershy doesn't have a "dark side?" The darkest we've seen her was at the Gala.

To me, they all have a dark side: Pinkie Pie (A Party of One), Twilight (Lesson Zero) etc.

Edited by Blobulle

That depends on how you define a 'dark side' versus a personality quirk. Yes, we know Fluttershy was picked on, but that by itself isn't much to lend itself to, and neither does Fluttershy's actions at the Gala. Do a lot of people have triggers that might set them off? Sure, but that doesn't mean it's their dark side.

Yeah, I'll give you Pinkie's obvious depression issues, but Twilight's "Lesson Zero" moment doesn't count to me as much of a dark side.

So, how do you define a 'dark side?'

• Brohoof 4

I can say that I can't see her having a dark side that would be destructive. She doesn't live in fear. Fear is the path to the darks side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense only good in her

• Brohoof 1

I actually wouldn't like that, nor do I approve of her dark side... It makes me uncomfortable when she acts darker than normal and makes me like her less >.<

Her dark side is actually what makes Fluttershy an interesting character. It makes you question the life and family she had as a filly, and makes you question if she really is just weak and helpless, or if that's just a cover up so that no-pony gets hurt.

The Avatar state Twilight went into way back in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. I'm wondering if the writers are ever going to explain that.

If you mean when she hatched Spike, I think the shock of the Rainboom caused her to loose control, and show her true power. In other words, she was over thinking it before.

If you mean when she hatched Spike, I think the shock of the Rainboom caused her to loose control, and show her true power. In other words, she was over thinking it before.

Ok, still, the writers should reveal some info on its origins sooner or later.

I'd be interested to see this explored a lot more. We already know Fluttershy keeps very quiet about her past life and how it affected her, and I reckon there's a good deal more she keeps locked up then what we've seen. Absolutely room for expansion there. They always tell you to beware the quiet ones...

In general though, pretty much the whole mane cast has origin stories I'd like to see explored. The show seems to be avoiding it as a whole, and to me that's just wasted potential. I know its not really what the show's about, but the fact that it's their friendship that ultimately helps them all overcome these problems means it can still make a good story about what they all went through to get there, while still sticking close to the theme of the show. I mean what more has been gained from their companionship if they all had relatively idealistic upbringings to begin with? I think its much more powerful to show them all having to have dealt with a major personal issue before they became friends, much like twilight and her solitude as a filly.

• Brohoof 1

I'd be interested to see this explored a lot more. We already know Fluttershy keeps very quiet about her past life and how it affected her, and I reckon there's a good deal more she keeps locked up then what we've seen. Absolutely room for expansion there. They always tell you to beware the quiet ones...

In general though, pretty much the whole mane cast has origin stories I'd like to see explored. The show seems to be avoiding it as a whole, and to me that's just wasted potential. I know its not really what the show's about, but the fact that it's their friendship that ultimately helps them all overcome these problems means it can still make a good story about what they all went through to get there, while still sticking close to the theme of the show. I mean what more has been gained from their companionship if they all had relatively idealistic upbringings to begin with? I think its much more powerful to show them all having to have dealt with a major personal issue before they became friends, much like twilight and her solitude as a filly.

Yeah, I'd like the writers to explore hardships like that.