Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your opinion on antagonist redemption?

Megachangeling12

Hello again everyone as you know we've seen a number of antagonists from the series reform and change their ways . Those individuals being in order Nightmare Moon , Discord Trixie and Sunset Shimmer I'd like to know do you support their redemptions and if you do what other antagonists would you like to see redeem in the future ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the redemption is done right, and the character being redeemed would make sense(no Chrysalis or Flim/Flam, but Gilda would work)

I actually have less of a problem with Chrysailis redemption then Gilda redemption and hers why . Chrysailis had a more recent appearance and was trying to feed her species while Gilda has basically missed the boat as far as time goes and was a flat and unrealistic jerk plain and simple although Chrysailis redemption would be more complacted ..

Maybe it's just me, but i think that we will see some villain redemption in the future. I won't say anything, since it's spoilers, but that's just me.

As long as it's well made, i have no problem with it.

I'd like to see Sombra reformed (in part because of a headcanon I have about him being corrupted by the same force that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon, but I digress)

That being said, I think any villain being reformed can work. Heck, seeing an arc where the mane six go around trying to reform past enemies could be fascinating (I'm imaging a season wide event, such as the Keys of season 4)

I think the show should be careful with it, the series could be going on for a while longer and if they go and redeem every villain, then they'll just have it make new villains who won't be different enough from old ones to be special anymore. What could be nice would be a season wide event with a single villain, or two villains in case of Flim and Flam, show up multiple times, say every six episodes or so, and slowly become reformed along the way. 

I'd like to see Sombra reformed (in part because of a headcanon I have about him being corrupted by the same force that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon, but I digress)

The "heart as black as night" thing implies he's that way willingly, not via corruption.

Considering I just wrote an antagonist redemption fic about Diamond Tiara, I say it's highly possible for certain characters in bodies of work. It depends on how bad the antagonist is and whether they can atone for what they have done.

Yeah it all depends on ther intent and actions Sombra or Tirek for example can be seen as non reedemabke while Chrysailis is a different story considering her motive . Honestly DT and Silver would be the easiest to reform based on actions .

Some antagonists just shouldn't be redeemed imo. I do love what they did with Sunset Shimmer though. I adore the new her.

cafe to give an example ? I get what your saying but I'd like to hear which ones you think should be abd shouldn't be redeemed .

Yeah it all depends on ther intent and actions Sombra or Tirek for example can be seen as non reedemabke while Chrysailis is a different story considering her motive . Honestly DT and Silver would be the easiest to reform based on actions .

cafe to give an example ? I get what your saying but I'd like to hear which ones you think should be abd shouldn't be redeemed .

Sombra, Queen Chrysalis and Lord Tirek off the top of my head. Discord didn't really make sense either in my opinion.

I think I can see what kind of scenario they might use for Chrysalis though. Maybe something along the lines of her never being loved by anypony and that being why she fed on love.

I think I can see what kind of scenario they might use for Chrysalis though. Maybe something along the lines of her never being loved by anypony and that being why she fed on love.

The comics explained she's actually good to her Changelings (despite being an absolute b***h to everypony else), so her Heel-Face Turn isn't completely out of the question.

The comics explained she's actually good to her Changelings (despite being an absolute b***h to everypony else), so her Heel-Face Turn isn't completely out of the question.

Ah I see. That is interesting.

Well, it's happened 3 times before, and all three times, it worked out fantastically. (I'm not counting Trixie, because she's not really a villain, just a pompous bully who's extremely full of herself.)

I'm all for it, but it depends on the villain. It has worked for Discord largely because his character is open to it and his playing the middle ground served up some interesting stories. Likewise with Sunset Shimmer, we have a character who admits to a mistake, has to live with it, and ultimately redeems herself in the most glorious way possible.

However, I am skeptical it would work for villains like Sombra and Tirek; the former especially who seems to live off of the dark arts & all.

However, I am skeptical it would work for villains like Sombra and Tirek; the former especially who seems to live off of the dark arts & all.

And the latter's main schtick is that he's the most unpleasant S.O.B. to work for/with.

Edited by A.V.

And the latter's main schtick is that he's the most unpleasant S.O.B. to work for/with.

Aye; Tirek was a fairly narrow-minded megalomaniac with a penchant for destruction. Anything is possible, but I don't consider him as redeemable outside of an extreme case. He's a lot more black-and-white than Discord.