Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What branch of science is your favorite?

The Taxman

What Is Your Favourite Branch of Science?   

81 users have voted

1. 1. What branch of science do you like best?

• Biology
    • Psychology
    • Chemistry
    • Astronomy and Cosmology
    • Physics
    • Social Sciences
    • Other (Tell It In The Comments!)

(edited)

Well, I wouldn't say that Math is Philosophical, as it is (mostly) concrete. The only aspect in math that one could consider philosophical is math involving imaginary numbers (negative roots and such). 

Arithmetic is pretty concrete, yeah, but most of mathematics isn't arithmetic. It's very abstract. Imaginary numbers just barely scratch the surface of mathematics. It goes deeper than that—far, far deeper.

Most people think there is a highest form of mathematics, but this is far from true. All the way up through high school, you learn math in a very linear fashion. Your basic arithmetic leads into algebra, which gives you the tools to do geometry and eventually more advanced algebra. That direction of learning gives way to analytic geometry and trigonometry which ultimately lead into calculus. Since most people never go beyond calculus, they have this erroneous conception that math continues to progress linearly like this—but it's very, very wrong.

The fact is, math splinters off into several different directions after calculus. There are numerous fields out there which are all mathematical, but aren't really comparable in terms of which is more advanced because they are so different. Mathematics isn't just limited to the three-dimensional space that we're used to working in. It goes so far off into the theoretical, and in every which direction. Imaginary numbers are just one small example of this. Other examples would be geometry of non-euclidean space, matrix algebra, or the study of advanced probability functions.

In fact, most math problems are more philosophical in nature, and aren't even solvable with the knowledge that we have. Just think—after two or three years of studying mathematics, a good student could probably write down hundreds of mathematical questions to which the very best mathematicians throughout all of mankind's history could not suggest even a single potential answer.

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 1

Arithmetic is pretty concrete, yeah, but most of mathematics isn't arithmetic. It's very abstract. Imaginary numbers just barely scratch the surface of mathematics. It goes deeper than that—far, far deeper.

Most people think there is a highest form of mathematics, but this is far from true. All the way up through high school, you learn math in a very linear fashion. Your basic arithmetic leads into algebra, which gives you the tools to do geometry and eventually more advanced algebra. That direction of learning gives way to analytic geometry and trigonometry which ultimately lead into calculus. Since most people never go beyond calculus, they have this erroneous conception that math continues to progress linearly like this—but it's very, very wrong.

The fact is, math splinters off into several different directions after calculus. There are numerous fields out there which are all mathematical, but aren't really comparable in terms of which is more advanced because they are so different. Mathematics isn't just limited to the three-dimensional space that we're used to working in. It goes so far off into the theoretical, and in every which direction. Imaginary numbers are just one small example of this. Other examples would be geometry of non-euclidean space, matrix algebra, or the study of advanced probability functions.

In fact, most math problems are more philosophical in nature, and aren't even solvable with the knowledge that we have. Just think—after two or three years of studying mathematics, a good student could probably write down hundreds of mathematical questions to which the very best mathematicians throughout all of mankind's history could not suggest even a single potential answer.

Ahh, I guess I wasn't really following you because I use mathematics for reasons that aren't very philosophical. However, I can see your point about mathematics after Calculus. Currently, I am taking a course in Tensor Calculus (very similar to Vector Calculus, but focuses primarily on Tensor Fields). I always thought of it as being relatively concrete, mainly because it has real world applications in General Relativity. It is extremely complicated, but very fun. 

For me, my favorite branches of science are:

~ Astronomy: I've always been interested in what type of planets and galaxies are out there.

~ Biology: I've been lately wanting to know how life, especially animal life, functions and operates.

~ Psychology: How the mind and brain works interests me because of the complicated and mysterious nature of them.

Another brance of science (assuming it is a brance of science) is meteorology. I've been obsessed with the weather ever since I was very young.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to What branch of science is your favorite?

As a psychology nerd, I'd have to say that social science is my favorite.