Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is The Future Of The MLP Card Game?

Denim&Venöm

I've noticed that ever since GenCon 2014 in august, the MLP CCG has sharply declined in popularity. The comic shop where I used to play the game got plenty of players, almost as many as the regular magic tournaments. Now no one shows up. 

And I believe the gencon event found the major flaws in the game. There's basically two ways to win. Rush strategy, where you move characters around rather fast in conjunction with stronger characters for a group win. Or a control strategy, where you prevent your opponent from doing what is needed to succeed. These make them game predictable, and in the case of the latter strategy, not fun to play if you're on the receiving end. Since your opponent is controlling how many tokens you spend, where your characters go or stay or even if they stay on the field or which cards you draw, you are essentially no longer playing the game, and it ceases to be fun. 

What do you guys think? Is the game broken? Was the MLP CCG destined to be a fad? What can be done to make the game popular again? 

I've noticed that ever since GenCon 2014 in august, the MLP CCG has sharply declined in popularity. The comic shop where I used to play the game got plenty of players, almost as many as the regular magic tournaments. Now no one shows up. 

And I believe the gencon event found the major flaws in the game. There's basically two ways to win. Rush strategy, where you move characters around rather fast in conjunction with stronger characters for a group win. Or a control strategy, where you prevent your opponent from doing what is needed to succeed. These make them game predictable, and in the case of the latter strategy, not fun to play if you're on the receiving end. Since your opponent is controlling how many tokens you spend, where your characters go or stay or even if they stay on the field or which cards you draw, you are essentially no longer playing the game, and it ceases to be fun. 

What do you guys think? Is the game broken? Was the MLP CCG destined to be a fad? What can be done to make the game popular again? 

well if your wondering how to make the game popular again they would to balance the game and advertise the game alot more also bring it to more countries would also help. in short fix the games problems and bring it to more countries is the answer 

Edited by HeartsWithin

I did get into the CCG for a brief time in the summer but I fell out of it because it was way too complex for me. Besides the MLP CCG is niche compared to other card games and isn't going to appeal to everyone except for young kids and Bronies. Any older person who's not a brony will not get into this game to be honest.

There might be some overpowered cards, I'm not sure however the reason I decided to stop playing was because it was too confusing for me to play it regularly. I also won't collect a lot of MLP cards anymore but I'll probably buy my single cards of my favorite character Cadance online.

I'm just going to stick with playing Pokémon because I can easily play it regularly and I just enjoy it a lot more.

I think it's fun.  It also borrows elements from a couple of thriving (so far as I'm aware) Fantasy Flight LCGs: Call of Cthulhu and A Game of Thrones.  I kinda wish Fantasy Flight WERE behind it, since we'd prolly also have some awesome pony figures to go along with it, and the LCG format is great.

Back on topic: Card text is king.  This goes for all of the collectible card games I've played.  A single card can change how a game is played.  Creators of the game just have to make that card.  Or, preferably, more than one card like it.  Is there a card that alters point totals?  Is there a card that gives your opponent less tokens each turn?  A card that lets you confront a problem even if an opponent has a Troublemaker there?  A group of cards that, when assembled in your hand, summon the unstoppable Exodiapony?!?  CCG rules are meant to be broken by the cards themselves.

• Brohoof 1

I played card game one's with friend on simlator. It was fun, but we where every confused about rules. And think that one mager think is that new players we be overwalmed with rules. That has no fimlurtiy with card games at all. That all i know. But fell what i can gather is good card game. Is sad hear toh is doing badly.

It's a fun little game to play, but I'm unsure what to think of its future. I mean, it's no Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's certainly at its peak of popularity in the Brony community. Really, I think it just depends how many people will still enjoy the CCG in the future.

I had no idea it was declining in popularity. I like all things relating to FiM, so I have been considering getting into it. I checked out the wiki for it, and the rules seem a little complex, but I'm sure I would be able to get the hang of it in no time once I actually play it. The only thing that has been stopping me, and it is a huge problem, is that I don't know anyone who plays it so it would probably be a waste of money since there's no point in investing in a game that requires another player if there aren't any around. I guess BronyCAN would be a good place to play it, but that's only once a year for three days. As it stands I would be better off checking out the novels instead, which is also on my to do list.

• Brohoof 1

I had no idea it was declining in popularity. I like all things relating to FiM, so I have been considering getting into it. I checked out the wiki for it, and the rules seem a little complex, but I'm sure I would be able to get the hang of it in no time once I actually play it. The only thing that has been stopping me, and it is a huge problem, is that I don't know anyone who plays it so it would probably be a waste of money since there's no point in investing in a game that requires another player if there aren't any around. I guess BronyCAN would be a good place to play it, but that's only once a year for three days. As it stands I would be better off checking out the novels instead, which is also on my to do list.

I have simlure issus, why do think i played it with friend over the intrenet with simlator. Cause have no real outside the computer friends. And also am asswell condring putting my money into comice, and mlp fim dvd's. And even mlp toys/figures if i can find place to buy it. I think the only option for me is to buy things like that online.

• Brohoof 1

I have simlure issus, why do think i played it with friend over the intrenet with simlator. Cause have no real outside the computer friends. And also am asswell condring putting my money into comice, and mlp fim dvd's. And even mlp toys/figures if i can find place to buy it. I think the only option for me is to buy things like that online.

That's where I get my stuff. It's expensive to start a pony media collection at first if you intend to get it all, but once you have all the DVDs and comics, it's just a matter of getting the latest ones when they come out. The novels look to be considerably cheaper than the comics, which I'm thankful for. I was holding out for novel collections of either single volumes or box sets containing a few of them, to save money on these books with the added bonus of additional artwork, but I don't see any sign of that happening in the near future and the books aren't that pricey. I will have to look into this CCG simulator. I'm playing the Gameloft game on and off, but it only satisfies me so much. I would be interested in something with a multiplayer component.