Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Solar Eclipse

(edited)

Hi everypony! I was wondering what your thoughts and theories were on why exactly cutie marks appear on ponies. It was established in "call of the cutie" that they appear when a pony discovers their special talent, but I don't think they ever mentioned why it happens in the first place. I have a theory that Starswirl may have had something to do with it when he was making his masterpiece that Twilight eventually finished. Perhaps I'm reading into things too much, but I thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion. So, what do you think is the reason cutie marks appear?

Edit: I apologize for posting this topic here. I now know to post something like this in sugarcube corner. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by Solar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 1

Well, personally, I always thought it was just the natural order of things, inherent in the DNA of all equines.  But I guess that still begs the question of why they would have evolved that way.  I'm not sure there's a practical, lore-based answer to that.  I can't think of one.  The real reason is just because it's adorable.  But I don't believe Starswirl had anything to do with it.  I don't think his spell had anything to do with cutie marks.  He was tinkering with the elements of harmony, perhaps trying to harness their power, which was a mystery to him, seeing as how he had no friends.  (Poor Starswirl.)  But anyway, the spell screwed up the elements, and that screwed up the ponies' identities, and the shuffling of their marks was a byproduct of that.  Of course, the original purpose of the completed Starswirl spell remains a mystery.  We have another thread discussing that altogether.  The point is, I think ponies always had cutie marks, since long before Old Beardo.

• Brohoof 2

Completely agree with Justin. I suppose when they discover their special talents, it's kind of like hitting puberty, so to speak. I know that fillies can get them early, but it's kind of like a kick-start to growing up. At least, that's what I think.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I personally think it's a mixture of magic and science. My theory is that  at some point down the evolutionary line, equine DNA was somehow affected by magic, causing mutations - i.e. horns, wings, maybe cutie marks.

Interesting (but unrelated to the topic at hand) point: In my headcanon, the scientific name for cutie marks is the signum proprium talentum (sign of the special talent)- might need a Latin expert to verify that. I also think the unicorn's horn would have the scientific name cornu magicum (Magical Horn)

Edited by ~Chaotic Eddie~
  • Brohoof 1

@Solar Eclipse, no worries. This should actually go into Show Discussion since we are talking about a specific element of the show itself, and not the fandom or fandom issues. 

• Brohoof 1

That is a very good question, but Starswirll the Bearded Inent near powerful enough to make cutie marks. And if he did then Why would he do that.I belive that it has always been around even though ponies can take a cutie mark away, as seen in the first episode of the 5th season of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. I don't think that they can just make one the same way. But very good question, props to you! Whooves out!!
post-32929-0-71285800-1428985548.jpg

Srry. One more thing. just like Justin and eddie said, it could be part of genetics. But , Hate to take the fun out of things but... BECAUSE LAUREN FAUST WANTED THERE TO BE CUTIE MARKS But whatever you want to say is fine.

Those headphones are my cutie mark . Just so you know

post-32929-0-71285800-1428985548.jpg

It happens in the first place so that all ponies can know what their special talent is just by looking at their flanks.

I think in the days of caveponies, cutie marks were less hobby-based and identified the most fertile or powerful or protective mates and served an evolutionary purpose.

I don't think that any entity voluntarily created the concept of cutie marks. At least, pony society did not all agree on it. I wouldn't be surprised if a sizable portion of ponies cover up or disguise their cutie marks because of fear of being judged by them.

But I think the biological reason it happens is was originally to attract mates, you know, for mating. The fur bristle follicles change color in that area. it has been established in the show with Snips and Snails that cutie marks are not underneath their coat bristles, but entirely made out of their hair bristles.

I think it's something purely genetic like puberty.

So we can't really know why exactly they appear, just like we don't know why there are earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi.

• 1 month later...

If you accept the G1 & G2 ponies as canon, just something that happened a zillion years ago, then there has been a change somewhere along the line.  The G1 & G2 ponies had Cutie Marks at birth (The New Born Twins, for instance) & that has changed.  Also, all the unicorns could teleport but only for very short distances.

Possibly Discord did it when he ruled EQ.

If you accept the G1 & G2 ponies as canon, just something that happened a zillion years ago, then there has been a change somewhere along the line.  The G1 & G2 ponies had Cutie Marks at birth (The New Born Twins, for instance) & that has changed.  Also, all the unicorns could teleport but only for very short distances.

Possibly Discord did it when he ruled EQ.

• Brohoof 1

I never really bothered to look into because I mean it is a show, that's like me going to England to find out if Harry Potter is real and Hogwarts is too, but I will look into and I will try to find stuff out about it for my own fun.

They're based on brands burnt into horses' flanks, and have been there since G1. There's the "real world" reason.

I imagine the in-story reason for them appearing has something to do with destiny, harmony, and order. It's like the physical manifestation of an epiphany and is deeply connected to their magical roots. There isn't going to be some scientific or genetic explanation for them in canon, because its magic, and as Granny Smith says--Magic is as Magic does. ;)

I never really asked myself this...simply because it's one of those things we're not supposed to question for the sake of suspension of disbelief, like "why does magic exist", "why are they so colourful", and "why can the horses talk" and stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...

My theory is that it has to do with magic of friendship. Since ancient times ponies have gained cutie marks. I think it is connected to elements beyond harmony. Let's take flower wishes for example, she has flowers. Suppose they have to do with minor element sets. Now let's say flower wishes cutie mark represents the element of spring from a minor element set called seasonal elements.

I agree with many others here that it's most likely just genetic, of course there's also some magic involved because it isn't like normal puberty since the mark appears when a pony realizes what they're really good at. To me they're there just so everypony can easily represent what their talent is :) Since it's what makes everypony special, they're actually quite important to make that distinction ;)