Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sonic Rainboom

Tom Snyder

latest.png

We all know that RD is the only one that can pull this off, but saying that anypony can do rainbow colored sonic boom is ridiculous. My theory is that because RD a rainbow pegasus, she can make a sonic boom look like a rainbow version. If any other pegasi does it, you just see a normal version. Other ponies call that a myth or legend, but now that they've seen it; its not much like that anymore. This move is RD's signature one, and i figure nopony else will be able to do it. so if you feel differently, feel free to correct me if you wish to.

• Brohoof 1

I´d say that it was just a plot device to give her a hard-to-reach goal, and when she actually does reach her goal by performing the sonic rainboom( which has been claimed to be impossible, or just a myth, giving the audience an even bigger sense of satisfaction when she actually reaches the goal) we can all feel how she has overcome this personal struggle of overcoming the odds.

(Hopefully i ididnt butcher that completely)

From a lore- point of view, i´d say every object that moves at whatever speed rainbow dash was moving at that point could perform a sonic rainboom.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I´d say that it was just a plot device to give her a hard-to-reach goal, and when she actually does reach her goal by performing the sonic rainboom( which has been claimed to be impossible, or just a myth, giving the audience an even bigger sense of satisfaction when she actually reaches the goal) we can all feel how she has overcome this personal struggle of overcoming the odds.

(Hopefully i ididnt butcher that completely)

From a lore- point of view, i´d say every object that moves at whatever speed rainbow dash was moving at that point could perform a sonic rainboom.

Its never stated that anypony could do it, so i really don't see the truth in that. But RD has been shown doing it a lot in episodes, so i wouldn't say a plot device exactly. I'd say its more of her personal stunt.

Edited by Candy Star

Part of me is skeptical in saying that Dash is the only one who could pull it off, but if any other ponies could pull it off, I'm sure the Wonderbolts would be aking it part of their routines AND I'd say Lightning Dust would probably know it as well.

So yeah; I'm torn. :/

• Brohoof 2

I doubt that, RD was going faster than they were; though she was behind, she caught up after the final push. As i said, i don't think it was going to be a rainbow colored sonic boom for every pegasi, that i only see happening for RD. I'm not blind, others can only do sonic booms. You won't see a sonic rainboom from anypony else.

I doubt that, RD was going faster than they were; though she was behind, she caught up after the final push. As i said, i don't think it was going to be a rainbow colored sonic boom for every pegasi, that i only see happening for RD. I'm not blind, others can only do sonic booms. You won't see a sonic rainboom from anypony else.

That may be possible. I once had a small theory about the sonic rainbooms: Unlike the normal sonic booms which create mechanical waves, sonic rainbooms create electromagnetic waves from all over the spectrum. The inside layer without the rainbow ranges from gamma to UV rays. The rainbow layer is visible light, and the other exterior layers are everything from infrared to radio waves. The position of the color would suggest that the wave length is somehow smaller on certain parts, which is explained by a totally rational solution magic. So basically, if you're too close to a SRB, you get irradiated and die from radiation poisoning.

Well, this is nice in a magical world about rainbows and friendship.

I kind of like to think in Twilight's Kingdom, Twilight actually did one, just from the path behind her. Remember?

twilight_flying_by_fluttershyz1_d7h187b. 

• Brohoof 1

I kind of like to think in Twilight's Kingdom, Twilight actually did one, just from the path behind her. Remember?

twilight_flying_by_fluttershyz1_d7h187b. 

That was her just going fast, but only due to the magic being out of control, and her lack of flying skills.  *Don't hate me!*

That was her just going fast, but only due to the magic being out of control, and her lack of flying skills.  *Don't hate me!*

But isn't a Sonic Rainboom just "going fast" in a nutshell?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe or maybe not, its just a legend that passed down from generation to generation; or just a rumor that spread. Many have tried, but RD was the only one to do it. And RD will be the only one to have it, i can sense the jealousy now. hehehe

So, anybody thinks the cancer pony in Read it and weep it got it because of a rainboom?

That makes no sense man, you can't get cancer from a rainboom. :wat:

Edited by Candy Star

I could be wrong but, when twighlight had all of the alicorn magic and she flew with that trail really fast, it could be because alicorn magic is composed of unicorn, earth pony and Pegasus magic. Because she had that boost of Pegasus magic, she had the ability to fly fast. In this case may be rainbowdash was born with more Pegasus magic than a normal Pegasus would be born with, just like Twighlight was born with more unicorn magic than normal, making her magic powerful. May be that's why rainbowdash can fly faster than most pegasi and do a sonic rainboom.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I could be wrong but, when twighlight had all of the alicorn magic and she flew with that trail really fast, it could be because alicorn magic is composed of unicorn, earth pony and Pegasus magic. Because she had that boost of Pegasus magic, she had the ability to fly fast. In this case may be rainbowdash was born with more Pegasus magic than a normal Pegasus would be born with, just like Twighlight was born with more unicorn magic than normal, making her magic powerful. May be that's why rainbowdash can fly faster than most pegasi and do a sonic rainboom.

Weather control, this seems to be mostly passive as well; since pegasi are able to to just move clouds without much effort. Even emptying the rain clouds, thi doesn't require to do anything but just do what they do best.

Flying is what they are built for, and can reach high speeds; 

Walking on clouds is not magic use, its because they are lighter than the other races. I don't see any pegasi straining themselves to walk on them, so this is passive. 

The sonic rainboom, is just a sonic boom with rainbow colors, any other pegasus tries it they won't show up as rainbows. 

No magic is being used, its just how they're built. 

Edited by Candy Star
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe or maybe not, its just a legend that passed down from generation to generation; or just a rumor that spread. Many have tried, but RD was the only one to do it. And RD will be the only one to have it, i can sense the jealousy now. hehehe

That makes no sense man, you can't get cancer from a rainboom. :wat:

That may be possible. I once had a small theory about the sonic rainbooms: Unlike the normal sonic booms which create mechanical waves, sonic rainbooms create electromagnetic waves from all over the spectrum. The inside layer without the rainbow ranges from gamma to UV rays. The rainbow layer is visible light, and the other exterior layers are everything from infrared to radio waves. The position of the color would suggest that the wave length is somehow smaller on certain parts, which is explained by a totally rational solution magic. So basically, if you're too close to a SRB, you get irradiated and die from radiation poisoning.

Well, this is nice in a magical world about rainbows and friendship.

My comment from above, and its theory about the electromagnetic wave boom  instead of a mechanical wave boom.

(edited)

My comment from above, and its theory about the electromagnetic wave boom  instead of a mechanical wave boom.

But magic had nothing to do with it, all RD did as break the sound barrier. But i guess what you said makes sense. I doubt an object would be thrown back like RD was when she failed. That was for comedy reasons. Air isn't elastic and rubber, all you would do face resistance and get tired. 

Edited by Candy Star

But magic had nothing to do with it, all RD did as break the sound barrier. But i guess what you said makes sense. I doubt an object would be thrown back like RD was when she failed. That was for comedy reasons. Air isn't elastic and rubber, all you would do face resistance and get tired. 

Normally if the wavelength got less intense at greater distances, the colors would range from blue to red respectively from the inside to the outside, but this does not happen. So maybe magic, but also maybe f*cked up physics in Equestria.

P.S. Not for advertising, but if you were interested in how that WW2 fanfic I was writing was going, the 2nd chapter is started and the 1st one finished on fimfiction. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/256918/the-30th-tiger

Normally if the wavelength got less intense at greater distances, the colors would range from blue to red respectively from the inside to the outside, but this does not happen. So maybe magic, but also maybe f*cked up physics in Equestria.

P.S. Not for advertising, but if you were interested in how that WW2 fanfic I was writing was going, the 2nd chapter is started and the 1st one finished on fimfiction. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/256918/the-30th-tiger

I read it, but i'm not one for that type of thing; i prefer the equestrians way of fighting. Swords and spears are always a crowd pleaser. Also magic has a major factor as Black Equinox can attest.

There is an inherent magic to Pegasus flight. Tirek was able to steal it and ground them, even though they still had their wings. Those wings are too small for their bodies, yet they fly. Look at Bulk Biceps. It should be impossible for him to fly. No amount of steroid use would help him. (Did steroids stunt his wings? Does Scootaloo lack some basic magical element in her diet?)

My personal thought is that Rainbow's sheer desire to do it, coupled with her titanic ego, enabled her to express the magic needed for a Rainboom. The first time, she lost herself in the thrill of her first race. The second time she didn't even think. Nothing mattered but saving a friend. Now, she is able to channel that desire at will.

I think Twilight would be able to duplicate the magical conditions needed to produce a rainboom, but won't. She wouldn't want to do that to Rainbow!

(edited)

There is an inherent magic to Pegasus flight. Tirek was able to steal it and ground them, even though they still had their wings. Those wings are too small for their bodies, yet they fly. Look at Bulk Biceps. It should be impossible for him to fly. No amount of steroid use would help him. (Did steroids stunt his wings? Does Scootaloo lack some basic magical element in her diet?)

My personal thought is that Rainbow's sheer desire to do it, coupled with her titanic ego, enabled her to express the magic needed for a Rainboom. The first time, she lost herself in the thrill of her first race. The second time she didn't even think. Nothing mattered but saving a friend. Now, she is able to channel that desire at will.

I think Twilight would be able to duplicate the magical conditions needed to produce a rainboom, but won't. She wouldn't want to do that to Rainbow!

The second time she had to push all self doubt out the window to do it, so i wouldn't say it nothing else mattered. Twilight pulling that off would take a lucky chance; plus she's not that powerful compared to a true alicorn's magic. But she doesn't like to fly, so RD is a still top flier.

Edited by Candy Star

But she doesn't like to fly, so RD is a still top flier.

Eh. from what we have seen, Twilight actually likes flying a good deal. She's certainly no Rainbow Dash who is just as likely to hover in place instead of standing on the ground even if she isn't going anywhere, but Twilight has taken pretty well to flying overall and has been shown to be quite happy with the ability to do so.

Eh. from what we have seen, Twilight actually likes flying a good deal. She's certainly no Rainbow Dash who is just as likely to hover in place instead of standing on the ground even if she isn't going anywhere, but Twilight has taken pretty well to flying overall and has been shown to be quite happy with the ability to do so.

I guess so, but i doubt she could pull something like that off. So a sonic boom from her is unlikely to happen. Also please enlighten me as to when she flies after S4.