Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Other Railway Bronies Out There?

Rhod

I am wondering because... I have never really come across any. Wherever I go, I seem to be the only one (at least the only one who says anything). 

If so, what exactly are you interested in? 

Personally I am into British steam, the GWR to be exact. 

(edited)

I'm into trains quite a bit.

even though a lot of that stemmed from thomas xd

I'm rather interested in the "Talyllyn Railway" in Wales and the Bluebell railway.

Edited by Skarloey
  • Brohoof 1

Ah yes! I'm not alone! 

Don't worry mate, the only reason I got into railways was because my nan got an ancient TTTE book (with drawn illustrations) when I was 3 by Rev. W. Awdry. It was a massive book, and I still have it to this day! 

I haven't been to the Talyllyn yet (even though I live in Wales myself). I am a fan of the Vale of Rheidol myself as well as the Ffestiniog and the West Somerset Railway. 

• Brohoof 1

Here I thought you meant are we working rails.

I used to work for Burlington Northern Santa Fe for a very very brief time before I enlisted. All I did was logistical data. (Okay, I unloaded freight cars) 

• Brohoof 1

Tidy! I have yet to start work. There is an age limit on the driving age for the railways. I can already operate Diesel and Steam with no problems. I carry enough knowledge and in fact model in miniature 5" gauge live steam.  I am building my first engine (5" gauge 'Ajax'). 

Well I'm into trains too (was and still is a massive Thomas/Railway Series nut). I visited a train museum when I was younger and a few years ago rode an actual steam train on an Easter holiday. These days my favorite public transport is the train system.

• Brohoof 1

I used to love trains. I still kinda do but since there really isn't any around where I live (America) I guess it sort of faded or overlooked by other things.. When I was young I loved Thomas and friends. Not really into any particular thing I really like the rails part of trains since they seem kinda like permanent ant trails. With that in mind I always love to see where the rails lead or come from and interact with different things regardless of what kind of train is running on it.

• Brohoof 1

Well I'm into trains too (was and still is a massive Thomas/Railway Series nut). I visited a train museum when I was younger and a few years ago rode an actual steam train on an Easter holiday. These days my favorite public transport is the train system.

Lovely! I personally still haven't been to a museum yet, I'm trying to go to the National Railway Museum in York (they have a Dean Goods :3). 

But you wait until you get to ride footplate and possibly drive, it's an excellent experience! I remember driving a Kerr Stuart Wren, No. 3114 'Dryw Bach'... it was so bumpy I was almost thrown off of the footplate, and those things have no safety guards in their TINY cab XD 

• Brohoof 1

I like riding on railway systems be it trains, metros, light rails, monorails, etc. I also like looking up the different ones around the world as well and how fast they are. In my About Me page, I listed all the ones I've ridden so far in my life.

• Brohoof 1

I used to love trains. I still kinda do but since there really isn't any around where I live (America) I guess it sort of faded or overlooked by other things..

The sad thing about the US is that the Trucking industry, the Airline industry and  others got together and bought out many of the right-of-ways that rail used to have. This is why when you book amtrak it sometimes requires bus connects, or even hailing a taxi. They basically broke the thing up in to pieces that are not completely interconnected.

(Also, I think that what happened should be undone as part of a massive anti-trust lawsuit... But with the lobbyists out there, that will never happen)

I love trains though. When I was a child had a pretty good model railroad, small gauge. And if I do have to travel anytime soon domestically, I seriously want to get one of the few remaining sleepers that Amtrak still offers. It just seems "right". Like this is how people should travel unless they are in a super hurry. The journey is as important as the destination, et al.

• Brohoof 1

The sad thing about the US is that the Trucking industry, the Airline industry and  others got together and bought out many of the right-of-ways that rail used to have. This is why when you book amtrak it sometimes requires bus connects, or even hailing a taxi. They basically broke the thing up in to pieces that are not completely interconnected.

(Also, I think that what happened should be undone as part of a massive anti-trust lawsuit... But with the lobbyists out there, that will never happen)

I love trains though. When I was a child had a pretty good model railroad, small gauge. And if I do have to travel anytime soon domestically, I seriously want to get one of the few remaining sleepers that Amtrak still offers. It just seems "right". Like this is how people should travel unless they are in a super hurry. The journey is as important as the destination, et al.

Interesting. I personally would prefer to travel by train then anything else. I don't like airplanes; they seem unsafe with all the accidents that happens and it seems more accident prone in recent years. Also I'm afriad of heights. Thats not to mention all the BS you'd have to go just to be allowed on one. Cars seems good but I don't trust other people driving.

I was under the impression that most of the trains was converted over to frieght to move product and also the crippling effect of automobiles as they became more popular and easier to acquire.

I collected N gauge model trains. My father collected HO. I had been to a few model trains shows when I was younger and seen different scales such as Z and O scale. They are neat but the last last show I had been to was mostly Lego and Thomas layouts. Don't get me wrong I like them but I'd prefer to see models instead of toys. There also really isn't that many shows that I know of and most of them are like everything else, is far away from my location.

We tried to start a small layout but lack of space kinda condemned it.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting. I personally would prefer to travel by train then anything else. I don't like airplanes; they seem unsafe with all the accidents that happens and it seems more accident prone in recent years. Also I'm afriad of heights. Thats not to mention all the BS you'd have to go just to be allowed on one. Cars seems good but I don't trust other people driving.

I'm terrified of flying and heights... but for some reason... It doesn't bother me if I were the pilot... I just don't trust people. Like, I'd happily get into a two seater prop aircraft, but only if I were the pilot. As far as heights go with me as pilot... I'm not sure... 

I collected N gauge model trains. My father collected HO. I had been to a few model trains shows when I was younger and seen different scales such as Z and O scale. They are neat but the last last show I had been to was mostly Lego and Thomas layouts. Don't get me wrong I like them but I'd prefer to see models instead of toys. There also really isn't that many shows that I know of and most of them are like everything else, is far away from my location.

We tried to start a small layout but lack of space kinda condemned it.

I used to model in N gauge, the layout was stolen though. It was on a 8x4 base board I believe. All that was on it is long gone. It's been a good 10 or 11 years since that happened. I still have my ancient first N gauge loco... and it still works (sort of... it needs new gearing).

I then switched to OO/HO. Got DCC then started collecting locos. I've never had anywhere to run them, and they all have VERY little use. They are all practically still brand new. 

As of last year I went to a bigger gauge again... MUCH bigger... 5" gauge live steam. £250 I bought the chassis for. Cylinders, frames, wheels, smoke box, cab, chimney... basically everything except the boiler. She will be running soon, hopefully at the end of this year. I have got a drawing done of her final look, as well as names and colours chosen and confirmed. 

Live steam is much better because you can travel to different railways around the world... only problem is that it is quite expensive and not very safe.