Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should past generations of MLP be getting the amount of disrespect and hate?

ManaMinori

I haven't seen G1, so I can't really talk about it.

G3 on the other hand, deserves all of the criticism it recieves. I don't see how there would be any artistic integrity behind it. I think it's a safe assumption that it's nothing more than typical corporate focus group bullshit, where the people involved just wanted to get their paycheck as soon as possible, and work on something else.

Yet, people still defend it with the "It's a kid's show." excuse, despite there being much better kid's shows.

No, they don't deserve the disrespect and hate they get. I've found it just to be a 'Brony' fad. Much like the hatedoms for Justin Bieber, Twilight, and the like. There ARE valid criticisms for all things, but you can always tell which hatred is fad and which is genuine. Like the dividing line between hating Twilight because "Vampires don't sparkle" versus "It promotes abusive relationships". Hopefully we can tell which one of those is the valid criticism. It's the same difference with MLP... I've seen soooo many Bronies write off the earlier generations as being "too girly", and it's just horribly ironic... This fandom which wants to pump itself up as guys defying gender norms... If 'girly' is still a bad characteristic to you, you ain't defying anything. Just sayin'.

The first thing to note is that My Little Pony is a toy franchise. It's a lot easier to put everything into context when you understand that.

G1 was very much a product of its time. The original cartoon (My Little Pony 'n' Friends, I believe it's called) can be hard to watch because it is very dated, and oh-so-very 80s. A lot of the concepts come off as very cheesy to any of us watching it today, I'm sure. The animation is full of errors, and the voice recording isn't up to par with what we expect of modern cartoons... BUT it is what it is. I enjoyed watching it, myself. It actually introduced lots of interesting concepts with the villains (some that are being reused in FiM!) and had some fun characters - I loved Wind Whistler.

I think if you can forgive it for being from the 80s it's not bad.

My Little Pony Tales went down a completely different route. I do not dislike it for what it is, but I don't think it's very fitting for the My Little Pony series. They basically just stuck pony characters in a human-style high school setting. Also very much a product of its time... Considering *I* was a toddler at this time, it's very hard for me to watch with that in mind. xD

Of course, G1 toys are highly sought-after. Personally, I prefer the G3 toys, but I can see the appeal in G1 toys - I would love to have Baby Moondancer!

G2 was just a line of toys. The style wasn't bad, but I'm just not a fan of the toy designs. They kind of look like lizards... lol. But the toyline has its fans.

G3, I get it... The specials can be rather boring to watch, and the artstyle can take a whole lot of getting used to. In fact, I'm still not used to it. But I do think that Minty is adorable no matter what. However, I think the specials were well-beyond the point of being watchable - at least up to the point of the Core 7. The Minty Christmas special was really cute and heart-warming. I very much enjoyed it!

As far as animation for the specific age-range this was aimed at, it all was very watchable!

G3 has amazing toys - so much variety! Lots of unique color combinations, and cutie marks. Also I think it's neat that - as far as I can tell - each toy (aside from special ones that came through other methods) comes with a drawing with a unique pose on the card, which also makes them feel more unique.

G3.5, I haven't even seen the cartoon.. I'll be honest. I actually stopped watching G3 once the specials turned into the Core 7 shorts. G3.5 is not well-accepted in any community, although the artstyle (save for the newborns) is not all of that bad.

The toyline became very narrowed down, and so even toy collectors don't usually like it as much as the previous generations. But you see... G4 the super magical special generation that the Bronies all think made this franchise worth paying attention to actually isn't doing too much better in terms of toys. Something to think about! G3 toys > G4 toys. Even if the G4 toys are cute, they are tiny and just not as varied.

• Brohoof 3

I remember my Mom made me watch G3 when I was in preschool and even being a little girl didn't make me enjoy that school. So cliche, boring, and sugarcoated, it put me to sleep. I liked the dolls though.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm that one guy who thinks G3.5 is the best MLP-related thing ever created.

The amount of disrespect I see is staggering. I'm perfectly okay with people disliking it if they have a reason to.
I'm not okay with hating on G3 being a norm. This is so odd and against everything this fandom stands for. Please be more reasonable before you say "kill it with fire" just to say it.

Edited by Zejgar
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I'm not sure why. No fandom deserves hate and abuse. It automatically renders your opinion (which is what it is), invalid. None of that 'my gen is better than yours' crap. Liking one or hating one gen doesn't make you any less of a ponyfan; hating on people over gens or characters does.

People need to understand that in cases of much older fandoms, say 70s to 80s; society was a lot different then, and so kids has different childhoods. We had casettes, not iPods. No internet. A whole different culture when it came to cartoons and movies, music. Kids today wouldn't understand leg warmers, pretty pink castles, and other pop culture/icons featured in G1. Characters faced issues common and known, relevant, to kids of that era. Same with slang, dialogue, and other quirks. They'd probably think Nightshade, god forbid, is their idol Justin Bieber.

It was modern and hip in its day, much like how G4 is modern and hip today. Give another twenty years, and folk will abuse and criticise G4 for being 'dated' and 'silly' too.

Let's face it: without G1, there's be no G4, or future gens to come. Each new gen does not necessarily mean its bad or an improvement. And vice versa! Original does not necessarily mean its bad! The original MOTU cartoon still outshines the rebooted 2002 edition, for instance, complete with its moral messagee at the end.

I myself adore G1. Never touched the next gens up until G4, but even so I prefer G1 over G4. :D

Edited by Lucia
  • Brohoof 4

I love G3... And I agree with Envy. Totally!

I like it to well almost all of it(glres a tmintys Christmas and newborns)

I'm that one guy who thinks G3.5 is the best MLP-related thing ever created.

The amount of disrespect I see is staggering. I'm perfectly okay with people disliking it if they have a reason to.

I'm not okay with hating on G3 being a norm. This is so odd and against everything this fandom stands for. Please be more reasonable before you say "kill it with fire" just to say it.

I respect you like of this gen however 3.5 is in my opinion something that needs to be buried the idea is cute that's not the pr oblem the problem is the asnnimation and the the lack of v oice acting talent and the overall design

I'm not sure why. No fandom deserves hate and abuse. It automatically renders your opinion (which is what it is), invalid. None of that 'my gen is better than yours' crap. Liking one or hating one gen doesn't make you any less of a ponyfan; hating on people over gens or characters does.

People need to understand that in cases of much older fandoms, say 70s to 80s; society was a lot different then, and so kids has different childhoods. We had casettes, not iPods. No internet. A whole different culture when it came to cartoons and movies, music. Kids today wouldn't understand leg warmers, pretty pink castles, and other pop culture/icons featured in G1. Characters faced issues common and known, relevant, to kids of that era. Same with slang, dialogue, and other quirks. They'd probably think Nightshade, god forbid, is their idol Justin Bieber.

It was modern and hip in its day, much like how G4 is modern and hip today. Give another twenty years, and folk will abuse and criticise G4 for being 'dated' and 'silly' too.

Let's face it: without G1, there's be no G4, or future gens to come. Each new gen does not necessarily mean its bad or an improvement. And vice versa! Original does not necessarily mean its bad! The original MOTU cartoon still outshines the rebooted 2002 edition, for instance, complete with its moral messagee at the end.

I myself adore G1. Never touched the next gens up until G4, but even so I prefer G1 over G4. :D

I lobe gen one, it was one of the cooler ones I ive seen, I enjoy the fact that applejack was started there and I happen to love the song whose a silly pony,i love my little pony tales as well and it often makes me smile, my problem only lies in 3. and in the minty special well and the one with rainbow princess/missing rainbow)I think I titles that right) anyhow I don't like those two things mintys Christmas beucase its well........bleach however I wll give it another chnce.As for the newborns I will never give it the light of day again, the rainbow w one I will gve another chance as well seeing as it wasn't al lbad and heck the ponies were dorable
  • Brohoof 1

I support your post! Might want to add you as a friend...

• Brohoof 1

I don't see how slang would effect how people see certain shows, and at what point did G4 use modern slang (such as LOL or ROFL or something). And the idea that because of the time you're born you won't like something from a different time is ridiculous, I watched the dark knight before the batman 1989 movie and I still really like that film (the 1989 one) despite being born in 1999. Hell I've seen people my age who like G1 (in fact I'm actually gonna give it a watch soon).

How is not liking G3 "against the fandom", what do you think we all do in the morning make an oath to like everything to the fandom fairies under a portrait of Celestia? All being a brony is is just liking FIM simple as that. 

People just don't like a lot of the previous generations and they have full rights to express that however they please, and I'm honestly sick and tired of being that not liking it makes you a horrible person. So as far as I'm concerned if the previous gens did make people that annoyed then yes it does deserve all the hate it gets.

(edited)
How is not liking G3 "against the fandom", what do you think we all do in the morning make an oath to like everything to the fandom fairies under a portrait of Celestia? All being a brony is is just liking FIM simple as that.

You've misunderstood my post.

Disliking something is not "against the fandom". Blindly disliking something is "against the fandom".

I'm going to make a bold statement and say that a reasonably large portion of people who dislike G3 (but not all, not even close to all) aren't informed of what G3 even is, beyond having looked at disconnected imagery from it and other people's opinions on it. They probably don't even know that Rainbow Dash dressed in style more times in FiM than in G3.

Edited by Zejgar

You've misunderstood my post.

Disliking something is not "against the fandom". Blindly disliking something is "against the fandom".

I'm going to make a bold statement and say that a reasonably large portion of people who dislike G3 (but not all, not even close to all) aren't informed of what G3 even is, beyond having looked at disconnected imagery from it and other people's opinions on it. They probably don't even know that Rainbow Dash dressed in style more times in FiM than in G3.

Now I get you, but even then though a lot of people have watched it and still don't like it so I wouldn't say they are "Misinformed". 

I accidentally watched a little bit of G3 on YT today. I didn't mean to, but I stayed. I honestly quite liked it.

Though I could write a page-eater of my own to explain my opinion, I think it's already been said in the last few pages, so I'll keep it short: The previous Gens should not receive hate. Criticism, yeah, sure, but not straight-out hate. It's all down to personal opinion- like I, personally, found G3 quite enjoyable and I intend to watch more, but the ones before that just didn't agree with me, given the voicing and stuff. I have yet to really delve into them, but the clips I've seen (actually watched an entire episode of the one where there's the girl looking after them or something. It involved bedsheet-ghosts) I didn't particularly like. Probably the voice-acting.

But hey, I won't bash you for your opinion on a sodding TV show, and neither should the hordes of those that do. How many of them watched examples and made their own opinion, and how many hopped aboard the hatred-wagon? (Though I was guilty of the same a while ago. I got better. Kinda.)

• Brohoof 5

I don't see how slang would effect how people see certain shows, and at what point did G4 use modern slang (such as LOL or ROFL or something). And the idea that because of the time you're born you won't like something from a different time is ridiculous, I watched the dark knight before the batman 1989 movie and I still really like that film (the 1989 one) despite being born in 1999. Hell I've seen people my age who like G1 (in fact I'm actually gonna give it a watch soon).

Ah, feel lucky. I've run into so many people who turn their nose up at anything that isn't 'state of the art', or otherwise equal to something made in the past week. There's a lot of ignorance too; like the idea that we've always had discs for video-games, not cartridges.

Anything older than three years? Must be cave man entertainment, is their way of thinking. Hell, video stores are lumping in shows like The Angry Beavers and Invader Zim in the Retro section.

You'd be surprised how many people hate viciously on anything that isn't new, CGI, and flashy.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see the point of people going out of their way to hate on previous generations both because there are some people who are fans of them and because those generations have come and gone. It dosen't exempt them from criticism, nothing should be exempt from criticism but it seem to me like a lot of bronies try way too hard to hard to prove that G4 is different and better by hating on the others when any such difference should be done by highlighting the positive points of G4 instead. One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of G1 fans and I am one of them. I was pleasantly surprised with it, sure I had seen bits and pieces of it when I was a kid and remember all the pony toys my cousin had but never really paid any serious attention to it until getting into G4. I am not a fan of G3 at all but I am not going to flip out when I find a fan of it, I may not understand what they see it in but I just think "whatever" and move on.

• Brohoof 3

Well maybe not hate after all, we wouldn't have G4 if not for them, but they aren't free from critique just because they're old and this show is a leaps and bounds improvement over even the original. (Which personally I think was the only good one before this.)

Generation 1 is passable -- not nearly as good as FiM, but okay to watch.

Generation 3 is an abomination -- it is the anti-FiM with morals that are 180 degrees away from FiM.

Okay, here's my stance on earlier generations. I haven't seen too much of them because the ones I have seem had no story and were pretty dull, but there are people out there who like them and that's cool but I dont get it. The only "problem" I have with them is because lots of people grew up with them so people think THATS what bronies watch, and no... That's pretty far from the truth I think we'd all agree