Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should past generations of MLP be getting the amount of disrespect and hate?

ManaMinori

I don't mind them at all. I'm very happy to say that I've been a former fan and I still like looking back at generation 1-2. My favs! I had plenty of pony toys and loved watching it as a little girl. Some episodes were really good, too! I especially liked the one with the ghost who turned out to be a bird that came with a mission to chase them out and destroy their house, etc. Also, the one with the plants that grow and turn evil. xD Crab cops! Amazing... People hate on the former generations so much because they think it's "too girly". While being girly isn't a bad thing at all. People are obviously overreacting.

Hee hee. Lobtimus Prime. I liked Fugitive Flowers too.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind them at all. I'm very happy to say that I've been a former fan and I still like looking back at generation 1-2. My favs! I had plenty of pony toys and loved watching it as a little girl. Some episodes were really good, too! I especially liked the one with the ghost who turned out to be a bird that came with a mission to chase them out and destroy their house, etc. Also, the one with the plants that grow and turn evil. xD Crab cops! Amazing... People hate on the former generations so much because they think it's "too girly". While being girly isn't a bad thing at all. People are obviously overreacting.

I still haven't finish the whole G1. Those two are really great episodes!!!!

• Brohoof 2

I don't really see any problem.  Not everybody will like the same things and it's in people's nature to criticise that which they don't like.  I would only raise an objection if the person criticising previous generations had never actually seen them.

I myself have only seen a very little of the older cartoons, enough to know that I'm not interested in watching more, but not enough to justify panning them to other people.

G1 was tolerable (I was around when it aired on analog TV with fishbone antennas), but I haven't seen enough of G3 or G3.5 to form an opinion (from what I remember, all the good 90s cartoons were on cable at that time.) I suppose I'm a bit biased though since being a somewhat androgynous person, I seem to be right at home with masculine or feminine entertainment, even at the spectrum's extremes.

What'd really be funny, for comedic value only, is if they did a "Generation one-half" special where they had purposely messed-up art, animation, absurd writing and jokes, like Homestar Runner draws MLP or something like that. THAT'D be hilarious as a oneshot (though disastrous if they tried to make it a canon full-length series). Hasbro, if you're reading this PLEASE read this paragraph carefully before trying out any ideas.

The only 'prior generation' that was truly horrible was the Newborn Cuties, both the toys and those primitive flash webcasts. Luckily there was only a small number of those made, and FiM came out almost immediately afterwards.

There was something weird that happened with G3.5 however, that did confuse me somewhat. The toy line and the animations went through the same art-style change from G3, but for some reason all the pegasi in the animations became flutterponies (butterfly wings). But the toys kept the pegasi as pegasi. I've looked around and I haven't found one bit of information as to *why* the animations switched to butterfly wings when the toys remained pegasi wings.

And I wish G2 had gotten animations just to satisfy my curiosity, as I prefer the styling of the few G2 toys I've managed to see (Being in North America, and G2 being pretty much exclusive to Europe.)

Honestly I think that without the previous mlp Generations we might not have friendship is magic

well it's a certainty that we wouldn't, since you need the 1st 3 gens to get to 4. That, and every mae character in FiM were taken from previous gens. So it's not even a question as to whether FiM would exist without past mlp generations. It absolutely would NOT.
  • Brohoof 1

No. They absolutely shouldn't. 

I don't think its fair. Sure, I may not enjoy them nearly as much as the new series but its kind of like our roots. You can't just throw that into the toilet.

However, it can be a problem when people are like "Isn't that the show from the 90s that was  terrible?" and you have to explain that its not as ''bad'' as it used to be

No. They absolutely shouldn't.

I don't think its fair. Sure, I may not enjoy them nearly as much as the new series but its kind of like our roots. You can't just throw that into the toilet.

However, it can be a problem when people are like "Isn't that the show from the 90s that was terrible?" and you have to explain that its not as ''bad'' as it used to be

thank you. And kind of like our roots? Darling, the past gens ARE our roots. And as the elder generation, they should at least be given proper respect, whether people find reason to dislike them or not. Look hard enough, and you can see that there's at least one thing that shines in each gen. Nothing can ever be 100% ALL bad
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

3.5 deserves every ounce of hate it gets. Just why.

The others, though, I find them to be fun in their own ways. Nothing great objectively, but eh, nothing offensively bad.

Honestly, Newborn Cuties should't really be considered a part of G3.5. G3.5 is pretty much Twinkle Wish Adventure, and that was a rather decent showing. 

Newborn Cuties is pretty much it's own thing, having little in common w/ it's predecessor in Twinkle Wish Adventure.  

A G3.75, left to sit alone in the corner, thinking about what it did wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, Newborn Cuties should't really be considered a part of G3.5. G3.5 is pretty much Twinkle Wish Adventure, and that was a rather decent showing. 

Newborn Cuties is pretty much it's own thing, having little in common w/ it's predecessor in Twinkle Wish Adventure.  

A G3.75, left to sit alone in the corner, thinking about what it did wrong.

NC is in a different style than TWA, and the first DVD's of g3, so rightly, yes, it's not g 3.5. More like 3.8

G3 had 3 different design styles, both in its animation, and toyline.

• Brohoof 2

at this exact moment i'm not going to wade into the topic. i'll stick my toe in enough to remind you that the original G1 cartoon like pretty much everything else of that era, was essentially one very long commercial intended to help sell the toy line.

you see ponies on tv, you go to store and buy ponies.

it's a similar story now, but also incredibly different with the advent of the internet and the power of social media.

but still.

the fact is that G4 had a creator that loved G1 and wanted to bring something more to it than the 22 minute commercials from her youth did.

the show aimed at little girls is in existence to sell toys to said little girls.