Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should past generations of MLP be getting the amount of disrespect and hate?

ManaMinori

(edited)

G3 IMO is just a very mediocre toddlers cartoon, which would have been forgotten long ago if not for FiM and the brony fandom, but it's not really worth hating. Newborn Cuties was a poor effort however.

Edited by DashBandicoot

Funny thing, I do love G3.5. Twinkle Wish Adventure, all things considered, is one of the better G3 movies (heh, I'd even take it over Equestria Girls myself) It fixed one of G3's glaring short comings, which was the core 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZTxuOoipA

Thus I assume most people talk about the Newborn Cuties when they talk about the horrors of G3.5. this is a fair assessment, I think, though it's fairly obvious that Newborn Cuties was a line of cartoons designed for the youngest of the youngest, so I don't really include it within the absolute canon in G3.

I found G3 hate overall more glaring at the start of the fandom, when people still wanted to avert themselves from the MLP reputation. But I've seen it grow better over time.

G3 might not be the same quality as G4, but it's pretty obvious that I still love it and all its characters. It brought a lot of gems, like Minty, Fiesta Flair, Puzzlemint, Sunny Dayz, Terzo Rainbow Dash, Spike and many others. I particularly like how it's one of the most charming, cutest generation the franchise has, topping it over G2 (or G1 Pony tales) and G1 easily for me.

It does lack the adventure quality previous generations had.

It had its bad spots, though with the core 7 pushing out the greater characters and it had some garbage promo features.

• Brohoof 3

Not all of them. G3 sure is an atrocity, but G1 is the closest to FIM and is thoroughly enjoyed by many bronies, G2 is average, and yeah, pretty much G3 is the one truly awful incarnation of the franchise

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

If you grew up with MLP since generation 1, you probably won't have so much trash to talk anout it.

If you started watching MLP when generation 3 came out, you might have... less good things to say.

I wonder if there are any sites or forums dedicated & populated solely by fans of previous gens who haven't seen G4. Cause I'd love to hear their thoughts on the matter. 

I used to be a pre-gen hater like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee found some G3 tapes at a garage sale and thought "Sure why not? I'll be a heathen by brony standards and give the damned things a watch. See what all the negativity is about. " I didn't exactly have much, if any, pony merch at the time. 

I've only seen one episode a piece for G1 & G2, and they weren't all that unbearable. I'll probably give 1 a shot eventually. A bit less eager on 2, as from what I've gathered it's not only lackluster in voice acting & animation, but possessing weak characters and poor morals as well. If anything is anti-FiM, it's probably that. But hey, I've only seen one episode. 

As you can guess by now, G3 is what I've seen the most of. Bought A Charming Birthday & Dancing In The Clouds for fifty cents. Wasn't really expecting much of anything. Went into it open mindedly. And suffice to say, I was impressed. I surprisingly enjoyed them. It stimulated that cutesy enjoying, fantasy loving, kiddish, still thinks anything is possible, imaginative part of my brain. So I watched the rest of the G3 stories I could find. 'Charming's' sequels, Friends Aren't Far Away & A Very Minty Christmas were pretty good. Princess Promenade was alright. Wasn't too into Runaway Rainbow. I thought Positively Pink was beautifully designed and worked well with a solid concept for the 11 minutes it had. 

You may hate me for this, but G3.5 wasn't that bad. For the most part it only had one main core 7 feature, and that was Twinkle Wish Adventure. And you know what? I enjoyed that too. Well animated, decently voiced. I'd put it above both Princess Promenade & Runaway Rainbow. 

However (and I'm pretty sure we're all unanimous on this front), Newborn Cuties was an atrocity. It's bad not only by MLP standards, but by cartoon standards. Poor animation, minimalist voice acting, no plot. It is justified to criticize it for the lack of effort involved, and to hate it for the insulting blemish it leaves on the franchise.  Frankly, G3.5 & the core 7 shouldn't be lumped anywhere near Cuties. Cuties should be it's own separate gen, like G3.75 or something, cause Twinkle Wish is too good by comparison to suffer due to Cuties reputation. 

To answer the original question, is the hate justified? No. Is the criticism justified? Yes. Cause ultimately criticism is just another way of stating one's opinion, and we're all entitled to that. Should there be more fan love & contribution for the previous gens? Absolutely. There is so much potential to be expanded upon and explored in the previous gens. I'd love to see even a quarter of the creative effort put into G4 artistry placed into the previous gens. 

If they're not your thing, that's ok. If you like previous gens, that's cool too. Love & tolerate bruh. 

Oh, for any G3 fans in the house. 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/102781-g3-fan-club/

img-3465513-1-134526652328.png

tumblr_ml9jb1RmLn1sookbko1_500.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I'd wish some older versions of ponies came back for their unique manestyles and more background ponies, but really I don't wish for anything to come back from the older gens....

• 11 months later...

Funny thing, I do love G3.5. Twinkle Wish Adventure, all things considered, is one of the better G3 movies (heh, I'd even take it over Equestria Girls myself) It fixed one of G3's glaring short comings, which was the core 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZTxuOoipA

Thus I assume most people talk about the Newborn Cuties when they talk about the horrors of G3.5. this is a fair assessment, I think, though it's fairly obvious that Newborn Cuties was a line of cartoons designed for the youngest of the youngest, so I don't really include it within the absolute canon in G3.

I found G3 hate overall more glaring at the start of the fandom, when people still wanted to avert themselves from the MLP reputation. But I've seen it grow better over time.

G3 might not be the same quality as G4, but it's pretty obvious that I still love it and all its characters. It brought a lot of gems, like Minty, Fiesta Flair, Puzzlemint, Sunny Dayz, Terzo Rainbow Dash, Spike and many others. I particularly like how it's one of the most charming, cutest generation the franchise has, topping it over G2 (or G1 Pony tales) and G1 easily for me.

It does lack the adventure quality previous generations had.

It had its bad spots, though with the core 7 pushing out the greater characters and it had some garbage promo features.

I agree with this post so much!!!!!

I wonder if there are any sites or forums dedicated & populated solely by fans of previous gens who haven't seen G4. Cause I'd love to hear their thoughts on the matter. 

I used to be a pre-gen hater like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee found some G3 tapes at a garage sale and thought "Sure why not? I'll be a heathen by brony standards and give the damned things a watch. See what all the negativity is about. " I didn't exactly have much, if any, pony merch at the time. 

I've only seen one episode a piece for G1 & G2, and they weren't all that unbearable. I'll probably give 1 a shot eventually. A bit less eager on 2, as from what I've gathered it's not only lackluster in voice acting & animation, but possessing weak characters and poor morals as well. If anything is anti-FiM, it's probably that. But hey, I've only seen one episode. 

Oh, for any G3 fans in the house. 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/102781-g3-fan-club/

sig-3771650.img-3465513-1-134526652328.p

sig-3771650.tumblr_ml9jb1RmLn1sookbko1_5

Actually, MLP Tales is still G1, G2 ponies didn't had an animated adaptation. Just as a thought, Daring Doo's VA worked in MLP Tales  :lol:

Not sure about this topic, as I'd never consumed prev gen ponies, so I'm not entitles to opinion. The only thing I could write is neither gen should be disrespected, as they were successful within their intended boundaries. The difference in G4 is that they wanted to step further, and it brought the franchise further than anticipated. I think the only ones that earned disrespect are G2 (lack of success, as it was short lived and not even an animated adaptation was made), and G3.5 newborn cuties (need explanation?  :toldya: )

• Brohoof 2

Actually, MLP Tales is still G1, G2 ponies didn't had an animated adaptation. Just as a thought, Daring Doo's VA worked in MLP Tales :lol:

Not sure about this topic, as I'd never consumed prev gen ponies, so I'm not entitles to opinion. The only thing I could write is neither gen should be disrespected, as they were successful within their intended boundaries. The difference in G4 is that they wanted to step further, and it brought the franchise further than anticipated. I think the only ones that earned disrespect are G2 (lack of success, as it was short lived and not even an animated adaptation was made), and G3.5 newborn cuties (need explanation? :toldya: )

contrary to popular belief, g3.5 wasn't Newborn Cooties, as g3 underwent 2 style changes during its generation. The original g3 style, which the toyline reflected, the second, shorter, rounder, cuter style, which the toyline again reflected (this is g3.5) this was given animated shorts rather than full direct to VHS movies like g3, and finally, Newborn Cooties, which is the horrible abomination most mislabel as g3.5. In actuality. It's more like g3.5v2, or g3.8
  • Brohoof 2

In my Opinion the older Generations shouldnt get that much hate, since they are the Origin of My Little Pony.

Im fine with people disliking it, but some Bronys ( ? ) call them ugly or garbage. How are they garbage? They are Kids Shows and actually got good critic. So...how are they garbage?

But whatever, i dont like G4 that much anyway, i like every drawing Style before G4 better and My Little Pony Tales is my favorite.

So,in my Opinion G4 isnt even the best Show.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

In my Opinion the older Generations shouldnt get that much hate, since they are the Origin of My Little Pony.

Im fine with people disliking it, but some Bronys ( ? ) call them ugly or garbage. How are they garbage? They are Kids Shows and actually got good critic. So...how are they garbage?

But whatever, i dont like G4 that much anyway, i like every drawing Style before G4 better and My Little Pony Tales is my favorite.

So,in my Opinion G4 isnt even the best Show.  :lol:

Finally I found someone who nearly shares the same idea!

contrary to popular belief, g3.5 wasn't Newborn Cooties, as g3 underwent 2 style changes during its generation. The original g3 style, which the toyline reflected, the second, shorter, rounder, cuter style, which the toyline again reflected (this is g3.5) this was given animated shorts rather than full direct to VHS movies like g3, and finally, Newborn Cooties, which is the horrible abomination most mislabel as g3.5. In actuality. It's more like g3.5v2, or g3.8

Such a disservice to G3.5, especially Twinkle-wish adventure, for Newborn cuties to be lumped into the same category. 

• Brohoof 1

No it doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I can understand not liking something, but doing it just because others are, doesn't make you cool and attacking fans of other gens doesn't make you cool, it just makes you come off as immature and rude. Which is precisely what some fans (and I mean this for any fandom) are.

I hate spongebob for example, but I won't go outta my way to troll the fans and bash videos or fanart.

Each gen has their own flaws and perks.

G1 had an incredible line of sturdy built toys with variety in color, set, species, (there were seven species in fact) and poses. It had a fun fantasy adventure style show.

It's flaws include irritating voice acting and some animation errors, which personally I think is fun to look out for in any 80s or 90s cartoon and the songs aren't always that great.

I've outgrown Tales, but I still have a soft spot for it.

I can't judge G2, since I've never owned any merchandise. I'm not really crazy about the body style, which is a shame because they had some fantastic colors and symbols.

G3's show is a bit bland and cliché but it's not as terrible as people say. The toys are beautiful in terms of color and symbol variety. I just wish they hadn't done away with boy ponies and made more unicorns and pegasus. Not fond of Breezies either, if the toys had looked more like the show I would have picked up a few. But no offense to Breezies fans, they have very odd faces.

3.5 I won't lie, I was very disappointed when they replaced G3s for those. I don't like the bobblehead look at all and the newborn cuties cartoon was very bad. You'd be better off letting your toddler watch sesame street or Dora the explorer or blues clues.

G4 brought the fantasy adventure back into the show which is a good thing. However I'm not fond of the big headed, little body look and the quality control annoys me. I also dislike how small they are. But there are some cool designs, they finally brought in Unipegs as well as a new species and added gender diversity amongst the Pegasus and Unicorns. I would like it, if they made sea ponies, since real seahorses have thin mouths.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

3.5 I won't lie, I was very disappointed when they replaced G3s for those. I don't like the bobblehead look at all and the newborn cuties cartoon was very bad. You'd be better off letting your toddler watch sesame street or Dora the explorer or blues clues.

Yes! toddlers should watch Dora or Blue's Clues. They are really good shows.

G4 brought the fantasy adventure back into the show which is a good thing. However I'm not fond of the big headed, little body look and the quality control annoys me. I also dislike how small they are. But there are some cool designs, they finally brought in Unipegs as well as a new species and added gender diversity amongst the Pegasus and Unicorns. I would like it, if they made sea ponies, since real seahorses have thin mouths.

Yes! The seas ponies! I love them! They should return here. With their little tune!

• Brohoof 1

many people hate g 1-3 because it is what people think of when my little pony is broght up. its almost as if most people thing a brony is someone who watches g1-3 for fun. as gen 1-3 directly influence what the fandom is seen as from the outside, people feel like they have to make clear distinctions between the old "bad" mlp and the new "good" mlp. Is it deserving of its hate, probably not. is it deserving of our praise, probably not. gen 1-3 were forgettable and passable enough to sell kids toys, not good enough to be remembered.

I honestly think there's no point in hating any TV show or what-have-you, I mean, it takes a lot of energy to hate something, and it fills you with negativity and stresses you out and why would you do that to yourself?  (Barring very, very extreme circumstances, of course.)

Personally, I like Gen 1.  I haven't seen much of it, and FiM is way better, but I do like Gen 1 and I do like the art style, perhaps more than FiM's.  I even found MLP Tales to be tolerable.

I didn't like any of the G3 stuff I saw, though.  I saw some clips from episodes on YT, and I saw a special or two, and honestly, they didn't have enough respect for their audience for me to enjoy it.  And yes, I know the audience was young girls, not adults, but as a kid I wouldn't have (and didn't) watch this because it's one of those shows that acts like being a child makes you unable to comprehend more complex plots.  Is the whole generation like that? I have no clue. What I saw was though, and what I saw of G3.5 was as well.  That said, I don't hate them, I wouldn't be annoyed if they were on, but I just didn't particularly care for this era of the series.

Although to be fair, as a kid, I always watched Transformers (Beast Wars) and Thundercats and stuff like that instead of MLP anyway so... it's kind of surprising that Gen 1 and Gen 4 got any attention from me.  Though I do vaguely remember seeing some of G1 way back in the day, once or twice.

At any rate, no, I don't think they deserve hate.  But I do see why people don't like G3 and G3.5.

• Brohoof 2

well, the other gen were aimed solely at little girls but unlike g4, they had no realism, much depth to the characters or realistic characters. even laure faust agrees and says "just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying". she has a point and intentionally challenged gender stereotypes and tried to make the characters realistic. even when Hasbro insisted they be into fashion, she made it realistic with rarity having her own clothes business.

They are Kids Shows and actually got good critic. So...how are they garbage?
  1. Being a "kids' show" isn't an excuse. A show appropriate for kids can be just as bad, if not worse, than adult shows. If we put adults shows under an analytical microscope, it's fair to equally scrutinize "kids' shows." To dissuade flaws implicates that kids are dumb.
  2. The original G1 is dated in some areas, including animation and storytelling, but the one critical thing it does so well is respect its audience. Young or old, boy or girl, it doesn't talk anyone down. I can see why many don't or won't like it; it hasn't aged well.

Tales, G3, and G3.5 are huge downgrades from the original series.

Tales: Even in 1990s standards, the animation is really sloppy with a lack of focus on depth of field, keyframes, and a slow walk/run cycle. While ponies living in a real-life-like atmosphere isn't bad in itself, Tales has a very false form of realism in the form of bluntly cynical storytelling and a side focus on a stereotypical form of lust. But the worst part is how it embraces a very cruel, mean-spirited attitude under the guise of realism. When they're cruel, we're sometimes supposed to laugh at it or be happy to see it, but to take cruelty as a positive creates serious unfortunate implications. Cruelty isn't funny.

G3: To pair it down to one word: sexist. Every single character in G3 is as flat as EQG1!Sunset. There's no regard for genuine conflict, instead focusing on very shallow, stereotypically feminine stories under the support of archaic gender roles. Generic scenery art associates (saccharine) colors with gender and gender roles. The plots are often way too slow. We're supposed to care about the characters and their conflicts, but how can we care when the characters are so stupid and the stories contain so much dead air? The animation was its lone strength, yet that hasn't aged well.

G3.5: It takes everything from G3 (including its worst qualities) and degrades them. The animation from Newborn Cuties is its biggest flaw.

If Hasbro wants to make a "kids' show" (or more specifically, a family show, as you can't sell products to kids), go ahead. Don't do it badly. Tales, G3, and G3.5 are all very poorly executed. The fact that they're supposed to be appropriate for kids puts them under more scrutiny, not less. What kids see and hear around them influences their outlook on life. Good-quality production, including ones that openly challenge offensive stereotypes, helps our kids. Bad production accomplishes the opposite effect. FIM (not the EQG spinoff) is the best generation for many reasons, one of which is its ability to respect all of the demographics while not shooting down its production values.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

well, the other gen were aimed solely at little girls but unlike g4, they had no realism, much depth to the characters or realistic characters. even laure faust agrees and says "just had endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying". she has a point and intentionally challenged gender stereotypes and tried to make the characters realistic. even when Hasbro insisted they be into fashion, she made it realistic with rarity having her own clothes business.

Tales and G3 were more girly yes. But in regards to MLP n Friends,Lauren Faust is full of shit. I don't call squaring off against Lava Demons, a giant stone golem dog, smooze or a witch who steals your youth, typical girly frou-frou shit. There were villains nearly every week, not all were great and some are underrated but out of 65 episodes and one movie, there were precisely 9 episodes that didn't feature them in any danger from some malicious force. Well ten if you include Revolt of Paradise Estate. Beezin is not the most competent villain.

Furthermore remember that you watch a Girl's Show. No matter how much you try and deny it.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

Well, you learn something new everyday  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

Well, you learn something new everyday  :twi:

indeed. It really doesn't make sense to the fans who even give the show series generations (if Pony Tales wzs "gen 2" because a different show style and toyline style, then Newborn Cooties should be "gen 4" in the show, and "gen 3.8" by the toyline. Since te series underwent 2 style changes, while the toyline itself had 3)

But since toys came first, it's gen 3.8, logically.

Gen 3 original base design

post-23572-0-60766200-1461343478_thumb.jpg

Gen 3 second style change

post-23572-0-95146600-1461343597_thumb.jpg

Gen 3 third iteration

post-23572-0-22412400-1461343691_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind them at all. I'm very happy to say that I've been a former fan and I still like looking back at generation 1-2. My favs! I had plenty of pony toys and loved watching it as a little girl. Some episodes were really good, too! I especially liked the one with the ghost who turned out to be a bird that came with a mission to chase them out and destroy their house, etc. Also, the one with the plants that grow and turn evil. xD Crab cops! Amazing... People hate on the former generations so much because they think it's "too girly". While being girly isn't a bad thing at all. People are obviously overreacting.

• Brohoof 2