Urban, Suburban or Rural?

Jackie Snack

1 hour ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I live in a suburban area...which has never been my cup of tea. I miss living in rural areas as I did as a kid and would give anything to live out in the countryside again. 

Save as much of your paycheck as possible for a downpayment, then buy that dream land you always wanted.  :fluttershy:

I live in an urban area and I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’ve seen my share of rural and even suburban, and I’ve had quite enough of it to be honest. I like my cities and I like ‘em BIG, with tons of stuff to do at all times of the day or night, and modern, dependable facilities for every need. When I look out the window, I like to see concrete to the farthest horizon (or until the haze of smog blocks the view).  

• Brohoof 1

I live in a suburban area although I hate it, there's too many people around I'd much rather live in a rural area where it's quiet and somewhat isolated.

I guess you could say I live in a suburban-rural area. There's a good one or two hundred feet in-between houses in my neighborhood, so I don't really know what that would classify as. I will say I'd prefer to live in a rural area, though. Somewhere in the mountains with lots of trees, as long as I can still get a good internet connection.

i was born in the city but i live in the suburbs. i cant stand it. i live in a city of 300k people and it feels so isolated. i love the sounds of the city. the trains, the music blasting from the stores. everytime i visit a big city i just feel so at home. luckily for me im moving to nyc in a few years. <3 

• 1 year later...

I live in city centre and love it:yay:

I've always not liked rural areas, too boring, too calm, nothing to do, no events, etc. I like when city is alive 24/7, tons of places to go, people on streets day and night! 

Always wondered how people define these terms, or if there's a specific definiton. Like, where's the split? A town North of here is its own but it feels entirely like suburbia... even though it has a lot of services available.

Maybe it's as simple as, is there public transportation served nearby? But then again there is (or was?) a bus stop here in my neigh (NEEEEEEIIIIIIGH!!! @NeighingMare)borhood, but it's totally suburban.

I'm suburban.

• 2 years later...

I've lived in the suburbs for most of my life outside of one year in the city. I'm currently living in an urban area, though not completely by choice, and I'm hoping to move to a less crowded area as I prefer the suburbs. As for a rural place, I'm okay with the peace and seclusion depending on where it is, but I know I'd probably get sick of it after a while though.

I'm surprised at the amount of people here who claim to be living in rural areas while those living in urban areas are rarer, since a higher percentage of people live in cities compared to out in the country. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Grew up in various suburbs, but I'm not 100% sure where I am right now.

I'm in an apartment complex that's on the edge of 4 zip codes, every single one of which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a single building more than 4 stories tall, and half of the neighboring properties are pastures.

There's a strong rural vibe, but there's also a lot of newer development and business that have popped up in recent years. Stranger still, none of that is really for new growth, but to support the aging population. :huh:

I would like to one day own a decent sized property near the suburbs. That way we have our space and privacy, but the kids will have access to friends and good trick-or-treating.

I've always lived in a suburban type of area. My preference would be rural or urban though. With the caveat that I'd only live in an urban area that actually has like public transportation so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic. Would love to live in Washington D.C. for that reason even if the city is far from perfect. It's just so different from the places I've lived in.

Same sort of reasoning with living rural, less people less traffic.

I currently live in a suburb and have the vast majority of my life so far. I lived a couple of years in a smallish college town out in the middle of nowhere.

I like the suburb life, but I haven't had much experience with anything else. But I can tell you that I absolutely don't want to live in a rural area. The town I lived in for college was kinda rural, I guess, but didn't feel a lot like that being a college town, so it definitely was different from many of the negative aspects of rural towns. But it always felt like the town was too small to deal with the traffic of the university - stores and restaurants were always packed to the brim and it was annoying. Also, the lack of many stores around meant that if the stores didn't have what you wanted, you were SOL.

So I can safely say I don't want to ever go rural. A true rural small town would be hellish for me for many, many, many reasons. Just not a good fit.

Urban I've never had any experience with at all so I don't know how I'd feel about it. I may have to live an urban life for some time when I move and that makes me nervous as cities have a lot of crime and are noisy. This is why I like my suburb life experience, safe and not too noisy. But urban life has one plus - better public transportation. Something my town suffers at and the small college town was abysmal at.

Overall I wish I could just keep my current suburb life... if only I could transplant it somewhere that has a better climate and better leadership.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in a rural town that slowly grew to a suburb and it sucked. I recently moved to an urban area and it honestly isn't so bad, dare I say I like it so far?

I can do rural or urban because I think there are good qualities of both. However, suburban, at least in my experience fails at capturing the experience of both as well as it's own thing

I've lived my entire life in suburbs. I'm not sure what my ideal style would be, but I've always been happy with suburban life. The only annoyance might be that getting anywhere without a car can be tricky. Public transit exists in my city, but it's only really designed for getting people to and from downtown. I've considered trying out an urban apartment, but my job is closer to the edge of the city and places downtown are extra expensive. I doubt I'll ever live somewhere rural though. My wife hates the idea living in a smaller town. Lol