Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Don't you HATE when something "goes viral"?

CosmicHooves

(edited)

This seems to be an issue that has been going on over the past couple years.

When a form of media becomes really really really popular really really really fast it seems to have a threshold on society for a REALLY long fucking time.

I mean, when does society say "it's been a long time, maybe we should talk about something else".

This mostly applies to video games and movies.

Let's say you saw a good movie.

You loved it and so did allot of people.

Let's say that movie became popular.

A year and a half later EVERYONE is still rambling on about that movie.

And even still T-shirts, toys, and other media products based off the movie are STILL being made.

EVERYWHERE you turn the movie is being mentioned.

And over time that movie that you once loved just becomes a jagged stick up your rectum.

THIS is what is happening now a days.

The world doesn't know when to stop obsessing about ONE THING.

And thus I end my rant.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. :D

Edited by Commander Shepard
  • Brohoof 1

"Mr. Bofadeeznutzen, your new gynecologist, will be with you in a moment ma'am." (That's right and I don't regret a damn thing I said.)

I could honestly not care, and instead join the fun too. Nothing wrong with random and silly humor, just as long it doesn't cross certain lines, but yeah. I still don't understand the 9+10=21 joke, but whateve.

Afterall, dank fuel can't melt steel memes.

• Brohoof 1

definitely... being a hipster I like being original.... and I hate it when something goes viral... especially if its something I liked because then that means I gotta find something else cool to stand out...

I try not to stress out over things like this. Sure, it's annoying when a certain film or game gets too much attention and turns into a meme, but it's pretty easy to isolate yourself from that type of thing when you're an adult. You have a lot more control over who you hang around and so on when you're older.

• Brohoof 1

I try not to stress out over things like this. Sure, it's annoying when a certain film or game gets too much attention and turns into a meme, but it's pretty easy to isolate yourself from that type of thing when you're an adult. You have a lot more control over who you hang around and so on when you're older.

Even teenagers can isolate and avoid such content. You just need to be self disciplined.

• Brohoof 1

I hate it when something is created on 4chan, but gets stolen by people on Reddit and Tumblr. 

tumblr_lo8k8s6HCS1qmi74fo1_500.jpg

I can stand Reddit and Tumblr a little because they don's watermark images like 9gag and Cheezburger.

Wouldn't the Brony fandom be considered something 'viral' though? When it started I mean.

The particular case you mentioned is what I don't agree with, the movie example. To me, that is less something being 'viral' and more like something that sticks with people for a long time. There are people who still have and buy things for movies that are 30-40 years old because they love those things and they are embracing that. To me that is a great thing.

So that type of 'viral' thing, I have no problem with. I really has no major problems with most 'viral' things, even stuff that is either terrible or overrated. The stuff is usually easily ignored.

Though I will say that I don't find many vines to be funny.

• Brohoof 1

When I was younger, I use to hate when things became viral. Especially if I liked them before it was cool and well known. Now, I can really care less. You do you- like or dislike what you want.

definitely... being a hipster I like being original.... and I hate it when something goes viral... especially if its something I liked because then that means I gotta find something else cool to stand out...

:okiedokielokie:  Not sure if serious...

Personally, like someone mentioned above, it depends on what it is. There are some memes out there which I can't even begin to fathom as to why anyone finds them funny or interesting, much less how the hell they become so popular. But then there's others of which I end up being one of those whom overuse and drag it out for far too long, because I appreciate them so much.

I just don't like it when things that aren't even entertaining go viral.

Like David After Dentist... Wasn't funny to me.

• Brohoof 2

Things go viral, that's just the way it is. It doesn't bother me in the slightest although it can get a little boring when some song is on for the millionth time or people use memes in context-inappropriate situations.

• 3 weeks later...

No? People like what they like. Why should they stop talking about something popular?

If it goes viral, that means it was good. Weather you or anyone likes the thing, it was successful. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really. After all, if MLP hadn't gone viral on /b/ the fandom might not exist today.

I guess I really did to the point where I don't use Reddit anymore, check Facebook maybe once a day, silence Twitter people that keep foisting that kind of stuff on me and generally maintain a bubble of silence regarding such things. That way I can enjoy things knowing its on my own terms and not the product of being bombarded into submission by internet repetition. 

Not really. Sometimes you'll get some really stupid shit, but sometimes you can also get a goldmine