Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thinking of getting a tattoo

Luna_tic

Title says it all, been thinking about a Luna tattoo for awhile.  Leaning toward the attached image presently.  I've got ideas for location as well.  If anybody has other Luna art suggestions and/or location advice I would appreciate your feedback.  But I won't fault anyone for being supportive without offering much either, I suppose.

This image is not mine, I found it online a while back and cannot remember who the artist is.  Also I'm not mentioning location ideas that I have because I'm curious about suggestions.  And I know it will be kind of big and expensive.Thank you everybody.

post-34863-0-59319900-1438758078_thumb.png

Edited by Luna_tic
  • Brohoof 1

That's a very detailed image, and not very stylized. In order to capture all the nuance, you'll need a pretty big 'canvas' to put on offer. Back is probably a good bet unless you want the image simplified. Plus, on the back, it'll be covered most of the time with a shirt.

Make sure you choose your tatoo artist very carefully, and make sure they use fresh sanitized equipment between each customer, not cleaned, sanitized, ideally bringing in the needles from a separate accredited supplier.

• Brohoof 1

Just some advice - I'd consider going for the UV ink for her hair to give it that extra 'something'. If you go for normal ink for the mane and tail, it'll just be black/blue with white dots, but with the UV tattoo ink it'll look otherwordly and much better :) Also, it'll look EPIC if you go anywhere with blue lights :)

Also, think about where you want to have it, as a picture that detailed is gonna be extremely painful - I'd probably suggest shoulder blade. At least on the shoulder blade you can cover it up or have it on show and its one of the least painful places too :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

What location did you have in mind? That image is beautiful. :pinkie:  That could potentially look amazing.

Was thinking back, or some sort of wrap around effect on my ribcage that carries over onto my chest.  Depends on if that would be too distorting.

Edited by Luna_tic

Was thinking back, or some sort of wrap around effect on my ribcage that carries over onto my chest.  Depends on if that would be too distorting.

I don't know about distorting, but ribcage is a seriously painful place :)

Really cool picture though :) and go crazy with the hair, that's the funkiest part :) xxx

• 1 month later...

While the proposed image is indeed lovely, I wouldn't recommend having it actually tattooed to your body. It's a painful process to receive one, and more so to remove one should you grow weary of the design. It simply seems a little too extreme. Why not make a poster or T-shirt instead?

• Brohoof 3

As someone with several tattoos, I have a few recommendations if you don't mind hearing them :) That's a very detailed picture you've chosen, so to get the most out of it it's going to have to be pretty large. I'd recommend a back/chest/ or lower leg. UV ink is a good suggestion, but also a bit more expensive and the long term effects from it are just now getting looked into. I don't mean negative health effects or anything, but fading and other just look things. Also an important aspect to consider is the tattoo artist, you should research the ones in your town and find the most honestly priced and great at their job ones. Hope that helps!

Edited by Sanies
  • Brohoof 2

I have a tattoo on my ribs. It's not huge, but the reason I picked specifically there is because even with pregnancy (which obviously wouldn't be an issue for you), that's an area that isn't usually effected by things like stretch marks. That said, it hurt like a bitch. I've been through some pretty physically taxing and painful stuff in my life, and the rib tattoo had me in tears. I remember joking with the artist when he said he was on his last color that yellow wasn't that important, and he should just skip it. With something that looks like it's going to need to be pretty sizable, you will possibly have to do more than one session.

This is likely going to come off as a little negative but i'm just imparting some advise here.

Make sure you are absolutely set on what you want before you get it done, i had my mind set up on what i wanted for over a year before i actually had it done, its going to be on you forever afterall. My tattoo is covering my left shoulder-blade in order to give the artist a decent working area but without having it on show all the time which could limit what jobs would take you on.

Do your research, check the tattooists around you and make sure they're actually going to be skilled enough to actually do what you want them to, there are many "tattooists" in my city and a good majority of them just work off a stencil and cant freehand to save their life, there is nothing wrong with going to a tattooist and asking to see some of their freehand work, you want it to actually look like luna!

Be ready to pay a fair amount of money, the average tattooist here would have charged me roughly £150 for my tattoo, i sought out the best tattooist in the area, it ended up costing somewhere around £700 in the end, it took 2 sessions for a total of around 15 hours of work and over a year to get it completed due to the length of the waiting list.

• Brohoof 1

I would advise you to get it somewhere with the least stretching. If you get lazy and chubby, like me, a stomach/chest tattoo will inevitably warp. xD
Depending on the size, I'd say get it on your upper back, or on a shoulder.

(This is my response from another 'tattoo related thread' thread a few weeks back, copy-pasted)

:grin2: I may at one point get Sunset Shimmer's cutie mark.  :huh: Idk, though... I already have a l'cie brand from FFXIII.

:maud: My rule of thumb tends to be:
1. I need to wait a 2 years. If at that point, I still want it, then I can get it.
2. It has to have deep personal significance, and has to be relatable on an almost spiritual level.

Hello! I am inked and I love tattoos! I intend to get a lot more down the road. A bit of advice I can give you to help you out:

1. MAKE SURE YOU GET PERMISSION FROM THE ARTIST TO USE THAT IMAGE. A lot of tattoo places will NOT let you use work that does not belong to you as a matter of principle. Seek out the original artist and get that if possible.
  2. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest sitting on your tattoo idea that you have decided on for some time. There's an old saying of "if you have not wanted it for X amount of time, you don't really want it enough". In other words if you feel the same way you do about your tattoo idea after time has passed and you haven't changed your mind even a little, then go for it! Otherwise reconsider.
  3. A detailed tattoo like that is GOING to hurt, you must be ready for this. Tattoos can be very painful to some, and depending on their location.