Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what is a good art program

reader8363

For free, definitely GIMP, but none of them are easy - if you want to use the photoshop-like features that is, there is a learning curve.

You can also check out FireAlpaca, which is also free. It looks kind of like PaintTool Sai. I personally like doing my linework with it.

Also, Krita is pretty good as well (and free). One thing that I must warn about is that pen pressure doesn't work on Macs yet, at least, not since the last time I checked. If you have a PC, that shouldn't be a problem!

Edited by Quartz Aegis
  • Brohoof 1

Definitely GIMP, its 1 of the tools i use for many things, however.. GIMP is more effective in editing rather than creation..

If you want good free software for making painted/sketched looking artwork i strongly recommend Krita ;)

If you want to learn to do vector artwork (with the same styling and technique as the show uses) i highly recommend using Inkscape :D

Krita is the easier to use out of the 2.. you can pretty much just jump in.. select a tool and start creating ⁿ-ⁿ

Inkscape has a bit of a learning curve, but you can quicky master it and start making good vector art in no time :) (Note: Vector art gets better results but is very time consuming..)

Though i myself tend to use a combination of all 3 xD i sketch a draft in Krita, replicate it and fix proportions in Inkscape using the Krita draft at half opacity on the layer below.. export the curves once it's done and color it with gimp ⁿ-ⁿ

But yeah.. hope this helped :)

~AURA

• Brohoof 3

Id say gimp is good for some of photoshops features and fire alpaca and krita are good for actual drawing but it all depends on how you want to do things Id say get gimp and one of the others and I'v heard inkscape is good for vectoring.

GIMP would be the best, but if you're more into the easier programs. I would suggest Paint.Net, it's easy, but much better than MS Paint.

• Brohoof 1

I suggest a trial of Adobe's cloud suite, which will let you try out programs like Photoshop, Premiere and AfterEffects :) Free and you don't need to enter any payment information to get started, with no risk.

If you like Photoshops UI and want a free alternative to using Photoshop checkout Adobe White Rabbit. It's actually Photoshop in every sense and I love it personally.

GIMP is definitely another one to checkout. Paint tool sai, Inkscape, & Paint.net are other one's I'd reccomend too.

• 4 weeks later...

Genuinely free high quality programs I can think of is Gimp and Inkscape. Gimp being alike to Photoshop and Inkscape similarly to Illustrator's vectoring tools. I highly recommend getting familiar with them and at least trying them out.

• 3 weeks later...

i suggest using inkspace for vectoring. its really simple. i find photoshop illustrator is harder. but for the final result idk which one is better. if you want to make some simple art use inkspace :D
that's just my opinion

GIMP, Definitely GIMP.

Also Paint.NET

Or there are paid ones:

Photoshop Flash (I know it's for animating but it can be used for art.)

Paint Tool SAI

Clip Studio Paint

That's all I know, hope this helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Firealpaca is the best FREE one, since one of your criteria is free.

A lot of people are suggesting Paintool Sai but it is NOT free. There's a free trial, but that's not the same as free.

Although, if you're looking for an INCREDIBLE program at a good price, I would suggest Manga Studio whenever

they have their huge flash sales. It's an awesome program and once i tried it i never went back to Sai.

• 2 weeks later...

AHAAAAAAA you guys make me loaf :P

the "BEST" program you will ever find is what gives you the freedom to create and the comfortable feeling to draw (by that i mean not too complicated)

go online search for them all and try them out doodle 5 or so images and choose what feels right.