Anypony here practice martial arts?

King Mars

I have done some Taekwondo and some Ju Jitsu, but never a full course. I have been interested in more Korean martial arts. I would like to learn to be able to defend myself and build up my nerves if I should ever get attacked. 

What sort of Korean martial arts are you referring to specifically?

Would you mind clarifying as to the nature of your self-defense?

I take a self-defense course taught by my neighbor.

He himself is a master at martial arts, karate, and self-defense.

In the class, we learn how to defend ourselves from attackers

• Brohoof 1

I take a self-defense course taught by my neighbor.

He himself is a master at martial arts, karate, and self-defense.

In the class, we learn how to defend ourselves from attackers

That sounds an awful lot like a martial arts class to me.

That sounds an awful lot like a martial arts class to me.

It probably is but he calls it self-defense

• Brohoof 1

I am actually a black belt in Japanese style Bushido. I started for self-defence, but I grew to enjoy it. It is definitely something that I am glad I did, and will benefit me for the rest of my life.

• Brohoof 1

I practiced Songahm Taekwondo from 2003 to 2005 through the American Taekwondo Association.  I would really like to practice it again if I ever get the chance.

• Brohoof 1

Tae Kwon Do seems to be an awfully prevalent style. Just as a dedicated Kung Fu man, can somepony give me a brief description of what it is like? Apart from "kick focused" I can figure that out just by seeing it. :P  

I studied judo a long while back in my childhood. Had plenty of fun doing so. At the end of the day I just don't think I was physically assertive enough to take any sort of competition seriously. Grading was slow. After a few years I think I only achieved orange belt. I do love martial arts though. I didn't realise how much artistic and philosophical merit it had until I watched a few interviews with Bruce Lee on the subject. I like to watch boxing. I was especially into Amir Kahn's career a few years back.

• Brohoof 1

I don't, although I really want to. I wanted to do fencing as well, but that was too expensive. I just hope that martial arts isn't too expensive.

You are wise for not doing fencing, that sport is about as divorced from martial arts as chess. Speaking from my own experience on the fencing team. The expense of most martial arts schools varies depending on the school. Some only $20 a week, some $50 a week.

I attended a single karate lesson! What does that make me, a white belt? ^3^

Not even. Well yes, depending on the school. Some give the white belt to all who are learning, some expect you to be able to do a basic kata before you even get to be called a white belt.

Not even. Well yes, depending on the school. Some give the white belt to all who are learning, some expect you to be able to do a basic kata before you even get to be called a white belt.
Well...guess I'm a see-through belt then ^3^

I studied judo a long while back in my childhood. Had plenty of fun doing so. At the end of the day I just don't think I was physically assertive enough to take any sort of competition seriously. Grading was slow. After a few years I think I only achieved orange belt. I do love martial arts though. I didn't realise how much artistic and philosophical merit it had until I watched a few interviews with Bruce Lee on the subject. I like to watch boxing. I was especially into Amir Kahn's career a few years back.

Competition is not the only arena that proves a good martial artist. My sifu says that a good martial artist is a good person above all. Sort of tying into what you said about Bruce, a personal hero of mine. Yeah, the martial arts are a gateway to self-empowerment in all areas of life not just the physical.

In fact, I came at them from the opposite angle as you. I was drawn in by the spiritual/religious aspects of Kung Fu, the fighting techniques just being icing on the cake.

Competition is not the only arena that proves a good martial artist. My sifu says that a good martial artist is a good person above all. Sort of tying into what you said about Bruce, a personal hero of mine. Yeah, the martial arts are a gateway to self-empowerment in all areas of life not just the physical.

I definitely know that now but that way of thinking was definitely beyond me when I was 10. Also, by competition, I didn't just mean organized competition events. I also presented it during simple sparring.

I did at one point earn a trophy for perseverance so that was about how deep the psychological aspects went for me.

• Brohoof 1

I definitely know that now but that way of thinking was definitely beyond me when I was 10. Also, by competition, I didn't just mean organized competition events. I also presented it during simple sparring.

I did at one point earn a trophy for perseverance so that was about how deep the psychological aspects went for me.

You can always get back into it. I was on a hiatus for something like a decade before getting back into them.

You can always get back into it. I was on a hiatus for something like a decade before getting back into them.

I wouldn't mind getting back into it. God knows my physical fitness is pretty poor nowadays. Maybe a striking art would be more my style.

Edited by Biggybrony
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't mind getting back into it. God knows my physical fitness is pretty poor nowadays. Maybe a striking art would be more my style.

Hmmmm perhaps Tae Kwon Do, Escrima, Karate, or Muay Thai. Just to name a few art styles with a heavy emphasis on striking.

I have taken some classes here and there, got to see a lot of forms of martial arts, some not-so-restrictive, and learned a bit from each one of them.

The result is a somewhat hybrid between MMA and dirty street fighting. :P