Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was "Slice of Life", aimed towards bronys?

Ragingdubstep

Slice of Life was aimed towards the fans that love the show so much and have helped it grow to where it is today. So basically, pretty much all of us, yes. :P

• Brohoof 2

For non USA fans TVY means you can let your 2 year old watch the show & not worry they are going to see anything that would upset any vaguely rational person.  It's not going to scare them, or reference anything even vaguely adult like drug or alcohol use, be too graphically violent, or let the bad guy win.  They will not be asking "what is a lesbian?" or learning curse words.  Next step up is Y7, usually for cartoon violence (typical super hero cartoon, for instance).  MLP has had some episodes about bullies & 1 episode where the Cakes had babies & that is about as adult as it gets

As to Slice of Life being aimed at bronies, yes.  Lyra & Bon Bon, Octavia & Vinyl were the 2 biggest ships in fandom. + hinted Vinyl is mute. About the only 1 they didn't reference would be Lyra's supposed obsession w secret humans.

• 2 months later...

"Slice of Life" consists of bronydom in-jokes and headcanons (and deconstructions thereof) built wall-to-wall. Nopony except us would even get this episode.

So yes, it's tailor-made for bronies.

For non USA fans TVY means you can let your 2 year old watch the show & not worry they are going to see anything that would upset any vaguely rational person.

Hee hee, what does that say about bronies? (Derpygate, royal wedding, Twilicorn etc.)
  • Brohoof 1

It definitely was. It had a lot of references that only a true fan would really understand. The episode even turned some of our headcannons into a reality. But still, it kept the episode understandable for the actual target audience, because they would not understand some of the fandom's inside jokes. Tbh, this episode actually restored my respect for Hasbro.

It definitely was. It had a lot of references that only a true fan would really understand. The episode even turned some of our headcannons into a reality. But still, it kept the episode understandable for the actual target audience, because they would not understand some of the fandom's inside jokes. Tbh, this episode actually restored my respect for Hasbro.

True fan? Better to say some fans.

• Brohoof 1

It was a terrible episode I think for that reason.

It was terrible not only because it pandered to Bronies, but also because it looked exactly like something that Bronies would produce. Everything with Octavia and Vinyl Scratch in that episode was so cringeworthy I skipped that whole scene while watching the episode because seeing the preview for it was already way too much for me.

• Brohoof 3

It was terrible not only because it pandered to Bronies, but also because it looked exactly like something that Bronies would produce. Everything with Octavia and Vinyl Scratch in that episode was so cringeworthy I skipped that whole scene while watching the episode because seeing the preview for it was already way too much for me.

octavia_and_dj_pon_3__jump_the_shark__s5

This scene could have been the whole episode just played on repeat. As Ashens would say: "They didn't so much jump the shark as much as stand on its back and hop up and down and say 'Look at me, I'm Mr. Jumpy Shark Man.'"

The preview with them was what did it for me. As soon as I saw Vinyl and Octavia living together, and then their little...whatever the hell it was they were doing, I nope'd out of their faster than Speedy Gonzales on steroids

Edited by Megas75

It was a terrible episode I think for that reason.

The two biggest flaws of the episode IMO:

1. The writers thought that they could use lots of jokes in the place of good writing
  2. They also thought that they could use references in the place of jokes.

The end result is that they just mention stuff that bronies like, without making it actually interesting to watch.

For example, the "joke" in the opening scene is that Derpy says "Muffin". If you're not a brony, you won't understand the reference, and if you do get it, you've probably seen dozens of better "Derpy likes muffins" jokes already.

Their attempts at pandering were so bad that "Slice of Life" remains the one episode I haven't watched in its entirety. It's so cringy that it almost physically hurts.

• Brohoof 1

I'm kind of surprised I'm not the only one that didn't enjoy Slice of Life. There has been nothing but glowing praise for it when it came out while I was the only one that hated it.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

Hey now, leave some of that cringe for the completely out of freaking nowhere Secret agent Bon-Bon BS. 

I'm kind of surprised I'm not the only one that didn't enjoy Slice of Life. There has been nothing but glowing praise for it when it came out while I was the only one that hated it.

Time.  Usually a lot of people will be all hyped up from the emotional high they get from first seeing the episode then let it cool down and simmer and that allows more time for rethinking and clarification as well as allow those with descending opinions to become more vocal, especially for things that get a lot of attention. 

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts on episode 100:

First, the good:

Doctor Whooves becoming a decent character who is a nod on the Doctor but not a blatant ripoff of him.  Whooves has the originality and potential to stand on his own.

Derpy/Ditzy was totally in-character and did nothing I found particularly cringe-worthy.  No, not even the "muffins" reference.  Still, it sucks that that's now her official name.  

Bon-Bon as a secret agent took me totally by surprise.  I never cared for her before but now at least she can be known for something other than being Lyra's friend.

Now the bad:

Lyrabon.  Stop with all the suggestive gestures plz.  It's confusing everyone.

Vinyl & Octavia are both fun characters but there is no reason why they'd be acquainted with each other, much less be roommates.  Plus, their Yin-Yang house just looked awkward and impractical.

Button Mash needs an official name plus at least one line of spoken dialogue.  

~

So yeah, Slice of Life wasn't a complete wankfest for me, but it wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination either.

Yes and that's why it suucked as 100th episode because instead of celebrating the show like it was suppose to it celebrated the terrible fanon that is 89% nothing but terrible puns and ponies who look sorta kinda like other ponies or movie and tv characters. The other 11% is ponies that sit near each other all the time but the time that caused people to ship them and ponies who have  vaguely similar talents.

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, I think it was. 

As for the episode itself, I think people are a bit harsh towards it.

It was a decent little episode for the fans, and yeah it was crazy and was filled with puns and memes and background characters, but that was the point, and whether you liked it or not, it was meant to be like that.

But at least you won't have to worry about an episode like this for a long time, if ever.

The preview with them was what did it for me. As soon as I saw Vinyl and Octavia living together, and then their little...whatever the hell it was they were doing, I nope'd out of their faster than Speedy Gonzales on steroids

Lol it was that preview that totally turned me off from the episode, too, and that was the scene I skipped over. Terrible, terrible Brony pandering. All I could think was to look and make sure that preview was actually official because I could not believe Hasbro would produce such a thing. Sadly, it was true.

• Brohoof 1

You weren't the only one. I really didn't get all the praise either. Then again I've always had a thing against brony culture. 

Edited by chirox the pony

Yeah, I think it was. 

As for the episode itself, I think people are a bit harsh towards it.

It was a decent little episode for the fans, and yeah it was crazy and was filled with puns and memes and background characters, but that was the point, and whether you liked it or not, it was meant to be like that.

But at least you won't have to worry about an episode like this for a long time, if ever.

Are you kidding me? There has already been more pandering from the subsequent episodes after that one. Slice of Life was like the gateway for these kinds of episodes.