Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did human Twilight deserve forgiveness?

ManaMinori

It is not SciTwi's fault. Everything she did in the movie was a culmination of what her life in school was like. She was a recluse, socially awkward with some anxiety thrown in, and all the kids her aged treated her poorly. Especially sour sweet. Why would she trust anyone other than herself?  Flutter Shy could have gotten angry, I know it's Flutter Shy, but SciTwi did not now her.

Also being scared is not a free pass, but it does dictate how some will act in a situation. When you are scared adrenaline starts pumping through the body, causing the fight or flight response. There was nothing to fight so she took flight and ran. She could have acted more logically in that situation, but that is exactly what she couldn't do because of the adrenaline. If she had training to deal with stressful situations she may have been more calm. However, she is just a high school student with plenty of hormones going through her body. Further increasing her irrationality.

When Sunset Shimmer was evil she was way worse the SciTwi. She enslaved the entire school and tried to conquer Equestria. At most Twilight took some renewable magic out of the humane 6.

• Brohoof 2

It is not SciTwi's fault. Everything she did in the movie was a culmination of what her life in school was like. She was a recluse, socially awkward with some anxiety thrown in, and all the kids her aged treated her poorly. Especially sour sweet. Why would she trust anyone other than herself?  Flutter Shy could have gotten angry, I know it's Flutter Shy, but SciTwi did not now her.

Also being scared is not a free pass, but it does dictate how some will act in a situation. When you are scared adrenaline starts pumping through the body, causing the fight or flight response. There was nothing to fight so she took flight and ran. She could have acted more logically in that situation, but that is exactly what she couldn't do because of the adrenaline. If she had training to deal with stressful situations she may have been more calm. However, she is just a high school student with plenty of hormones going through her body. Further increasing her irrationality.

When Sunset Shimmer was evil she was way worse the SciTwi. She enslaved the entire school and tried to conquer Equestria. At most Twilight took some renewable magic out of the humane 6.

so SciTwi isn't at fault in ny way whatsoever, in spite of her and her alone choosing how to react to a situation, in spite of the hormones being hers and no one else's, in spite of her getting wrapped up with magic through her own short-sighted and stupid decision, somone else is to be held accountable. Ok, that makes perfect sense. But let me tell you what does' t make sense- stapling on an additional 20 minutes of contrivances for the sake of pushing SciTwi back into a role of "unapolagetic stupid girl", right after she nearly killed people, just to do it again, and write her in a way that makes people like me think that she's undeserving of forgiveness that second time, just to add anothe contrivancd anc turn her into a "demon" with just as much explanation for it, as in the first movie! That's bad writing, and plot holes everywhere, when the whole thing could've been wrapped up, simple and clean, after the motocross race. The extra time could've better been spent giving more personality to the Shadowbolts to make them more memorable, Twi ratting out Cinch, and being pep talked by her new friends to not let anyone else influence her future, but to make her goals on her own, addressing the deleted animatic of Sunset's homesickness for Equestria...anything but what mess we got after the bike race.

And don't even get me started on how stupid Sunset (and pony Twi) were in the first movie.

Twilight does deserve forgiveness. The idea that she is completely undeserving of mercy is taking it a bit too far, in my opinion. She was genuinely penitent of her actions and its effects on those around her. Forgiveness doesn't automatically mean you forget. I'm not saying that she should be trusted immediately -- that would be foolish -- but that at least she should be given the chance to prove her change of heart. Sunset extended the olive branch to give her that chance; like pony twilight did for her. I find the redemption of both characters to be really powerful.

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 3

She did deserve forgiveness. Remember that she was pressured to do it. As we can see she clearly had no friends at Crystal Prep. She was looking for acceptance. And the mane 5 + sunny ;) befriended her. So ask youself, who deserved forgiveness more? Twilight or Sunset from EQG1?

• Brohoof 2

Of course she did! She was pulled into the trap by Principal Cinch. When Cinch discovered the magic from CHS and the device that Twilight had to absorb the magic coming from when one of the Mane 7 was ponying up, that's when things started to fall. It wasn't Twilight's fault. It was just like S1E1 Twilight. 

• Brohoof 2

@@Nightmare Muffin, What I meant by saying it wasn't her fault was that she had no control over her situation. I don't remember where this happened, but principal Cinch told her not to talk to the canterlot high girls. If this happened before she talked to flutters then I see her justified in running because Cinch held her future hostage. I will admit there were times I thought she should just say "Why are you glowing" or something like that, but I felt she never had the mental state required to stop ask such a question, what with the future hostage thing, and the games. That was a really stressful time. For both Sunset and Twilight. If Sunset was willing to talk and listen the movie would have also ended clean and quick, but she was stressed that pony twi was not responding. Taking it out on SciTwi.

And the question on whether or not twi should be forgiven is really a subjective one, and belongs to the characters. However, there is one objective reason that is important. The characters wouldn't realize this, but forgiving her and letting her stay would be the healthiest thing for Twi. She would be less likely to go all power crazy again because she has people she cares about and wouldn't want to risk hurting them. If the situation arose that she needed to transform we would now see a similar transformation to the one Sunset had when she saved Twi.

What would we get if the Shadowbolts were more fleshed out? compared to humane 6 they didn't do much more than them, And we already know  so they seem more fleshed out. If we watched this movie with no knowledge of either school then neither would get that much characterization. If they made another movie with the Shadowbolts I'm sure that they would get more screen time.

I don't think it was a bad movie or plot. it may not have been the best movie out there, but it wasn't bad. All the reasons you wrote are outweighed by the enjoyable-ness of the movie.

Edited by IvoryDreamer
  • Brohoof 1

She did deserve forgiveness. Remember that she was pressured to do it. As we can see she clearly had no friends at Crystal Prep. She was looking for acceptance. And the mane 5 + sunny ;) befriended her. So ask youself, who deserved forgiveness more? Twilight or Sunset from EQG1?

I would say Twilight deserves forgiveness more, no offense to Sunset though.

so SciTwi isn't at fault in ny way whatsoever, in spite of her and her alone choosing how to react to a situation, in spite of the hormones being hers and no one else's, in spite of her getting wrapped up with magic through her own short-sighted and stupid decision, somone else is to be held accountable. Ok, that makes perfect sense. But let me tell you what does' t make sense- stapling on an additional 20 minutes of contrivances for the sake of pushing SciTwi back into a role of "unapolagetic stupid girl", right after she nearly killed people, just to do it again, and write her in a way that makes people like me think that she's undeserving of forgiveness that second time, just to add anothe contrivancd anc turn her into a "demon" with just as much explanation for it, as in the first movie! That's bad writing, and plot holes everywhere, when the whole thing could've been wrapped up, simple and clean, after the motocross race. The extra time could've better been spent giving more personality to the Shadowbolts to make them more memorable, Twi ratting out Cinch, and being pep talked by her new friends to not let anyone else influence her future, but to make her goals on her own, addressing the deleted animatic of Sunset's homesickness for Equestria...anything but what mess we got after the bike race.

And don't even get me started on how stupid Sunset (and pony Twi) were in the first movie.

No, no it isn't. In fact the story was pretty solid and Twilight herself was pretty realistically written, as that's how people are, especially those with Social Anxiety Disorder that are also bullied. No one makes the "logical decision" all the time. Not only that, she had no one to turn to. She couldn't report Principal Cinch as she has no evidence of her wrong doing, if she were to report her, not only would be her word against Cinch's but she would only get in more trouble than she was already in. Not only did Cinch hold her education hostage but she refused there would be nothing but torment for her at Crystal Prep. Yeah you can say that she should have defied them until you're blue in the face but that would have accomplished nothing. All it would have done is paint a target on her back and Crystal Prep would have relentlessly bullied her until she snapped. There was no logical solution to her situation. Most people in that situation would have done what she did. Honestly, it just sounds like you're looking for excuses to hate Twilight.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

Yes Sci Twi deserved forgiveness. It's pretty obvious she was never evil, she was just corrupted by the magic that she was peer pressured into releasing. She may have made some dumb decisions but she definitely deserves to be forgiven!

• Brohoof 1