Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Daring Do or Indiana Jones

green

Indiana Jones.

I think Daring Do is an awesome character, don't get me wrong.  But some of the stuff she does to get herself out of danger is just too far-fetched for me to believe.  And that kinda makes it look like she's being (poorly) written as a Mary Sue.

For instance, when she was bound to a stone altar in a room with spike walls sliding in from both sides, quicksand filling the room from below and spiders and snakes crawling down from every nook and cranny.  (Overkill much Ahuizotl?)  That was a pretty harsh situation for her to escape but.....the ricocheting hat striking the "off switch" was just ridiculous.  Couldn't the writers have come up with something a little less cartoony?

Plus DD was able to trick Doctor Caballeron a little too easily with that lame disguise.  He didn't even think to question who the mysterious pony who looked a lot like Daring Do with a leafy beard was or how she'd heard about Caballeron having the Ring of Scorchero even though he'd only just stolen it a couple of hours ago.  Why so gullible?  I thought this guy was a scholar or something intelligent like that.  

So, to me, Daring Do is a cool character but the writers really need to make her story elements a little more realistic.  

Edited by J. Brony

The title says it all. Who do you think is 20% cooler?

As of my reading the chapter books? Definitely Daring Do. The first 3 Indiana Jones movies are incredibly sexist (hey, it was the 80s, I guess...), especially the 2nd... And the 4th movie's none too popular. :P

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't like the smiley MLPForums uses for "=P" It's supposed to be a lighthearted smiley, eases the mood, but the custom smiley here looks a little... mocking.

Edited by Daring_Do

As of my reading the chapter books? Definitely Daring Do. The first 3 Indiana Jones movies are incredibly sexist (hey, it was the 80s, I guess...), especially the 2nd... And the 4th movie's none too popular. :P

PS: Am I the only one who doesn't like the smiley MLPForums uses for "=P" It's supposed to be a lighthearted smiley, eases the mood, but the custom smiley here looks a little... mocking.

Sexist? :o lol how so?

Indiana Jones by a mile. Daring Do barely has a character and hasn't been developed as much or done nearly as many amazing things as Indy has. I mean, come on guys, we're comparing one of the iconic characters in American cinema to a two-time recurring secondary character in a children's cartoon. It's not even close.

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3

My respect to Daring Do, but Indie :wub: for me is more than 20% cooler. I have loved that man since the first time I saw his pretty face! And the fact that Sean Connery :wub: is in the third one is beyond amazing! AH! If only I were like 30 years older I could have had a chance lol. 

What can I say... I have an old soul 

Sexist? :o lol how so?

Indiana Jones by a mile. Daring Do barely has a character and hasn't been developed as much or done nearly as many amazing things as Indy has. I mean, come on guys, we're comparing one of the iconic characters in American cinema to a two-time recurring secondary character in a children's cartoon. It's not even close.

Watch Temple of Doom, see how they portrayed Willie, and ask me that again.

Daring Do's pretty good as far as ponies go if you've read the books, though. Fun kids' books, my favorite of the chapter books. Then again I've always liked the adventure stories in MLP more than slice of life.

Edited by Daring_Do

Indiana Jones is my childhood movie hero. No one will ever come close to Indiana Jones for me. Out of all the characters inspired by Indiana Jones (and there are a lot), DD is one of the better ones because they didn't just make her a complete copy, but gave her unique characteristics. She will never be quite as awesome though. That's just my opinion. Indiana Jones is one of my favorite all time fictional characters so I'm a little bias in this subject.

And yes, they are sexist, but what movie from the 80's is not? Does it really make them bad movies? Or a bad character? Eh, I get your point of view though. As long you are not putting down one character just because the movie is sexist. Also, I don't even count the 4th movie because of how much of a disappointment it was. They are planning on a 5th on in (I think) 2018. I'm kind of scared of what they will do, because I don't want another bad one.

Daring Do's pretty good as far as ponies go if you've read the books, though. Fun kids' books, my favorite of the chapter books. Then again I've always liked the adventure stories in MLP more than slice of life.

To be fair it is set in 1935, when gender roles would have been different.

To be fair it is set in 1935, when gender roles would have been different.

Mm, it's not in-story gender roles, though - It's how characters are written. But it was the 80s, like McDude said (and like I mentioned).

• Brohoof 1

I just find myself liking Daring Do more. Sure, Shes a copy and paste from Indiana Jones but I just find her character more fun and has alot of potential to be better than a guy with a whip.

• Brohoof 1

No question in my head at all, Harrison Ford fighting Nazis beats minor recurring character who's second outing was received only marginally better than Crystal Skull.

• Brohoof 4

No question in my head at all, Harrison Ford fighting Nazis beats minor recurring character who's second outing was received only marginally better than Crystal Skull.

Daring Do Adventure Collection

(admittedly, probably still doesn't beat Harrison Ford fighting Nazis, but...)

I just find myself liking Daring Do more. Sure, Shes a copy and paste from Indiana Jones but I just find her character more fun and has alot of potential to be better than a guy with a whip.

You should check out the Daring Do chapter books, then, they're pretty good.

Edited by Daring_Do

Daring Do Adventure Collection

(admittedly, probably still doesn't beat Harrison Ford fighting Nazis, but...)

You should check out the Daring Do chapter books, then, they're pretty good.

I probably should get the Daring Do books, and watch the films to make a final decision.

So your reasoning for the first 3 movies being sexist is one character in the second movie? Willie's character isn't sexist. You might find her annoying, but just cuz you don't like how a character acts doesn't mean the movie itself is sexist. Stop throwing words around to slander the hard work of artists. Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 3

So your reasoning for the first 3 movies being sexist is one character in the second movie? Willie's character isn't sexist. You might find her annoying, but just cuz you don't like how a character acts doesn't mean the movie itself is sexist. Stop throwing words around to slander the hard work of artists.

...I said "especially the 2nd movie". I didn't say the 1st and 3rd were immune. The 4th is okay (probably due to being made in the 21st century), but seeing as the 4th's generally agreed to be not very good...

And her character absolutely is sexist.

Edited by Daring_Do

So...I have never actually seen an Indiana Jones film, I know that is weird but there are quite a few classic films I have never seen. :P So by default I have to go with Daring Do here but she is a really cool character. I love how she is so very similar to Rainbow Dash, plus I love how they made her a real character in FiM rather than just a storybook character, seeing Rainbow geek out over her was....cute. :3

• Brohoof 1

Saying Indiana Jones is just a guy with a whip is like saying Rainbow Dash is just a horse with wings. However, I do agree that Daring Do has a lot of potential to be a really good character. She may be a copy of Indy, but I think she also has her unique characteristics that make her better than other Indy copies (and there are a LOT of Indiana Jones copies)

Also, guys, lets get over the sexist thing. Yes the movies are sexist, they were made in the 80s and take place in the 30s. That is a recipe for sexist portrayal of characters. That doesn't mean they are not good movies (except 4).

Edited by McDude
  • Brohoof 1

Saying Indiana Jones is just a guy with a whip is like saying Rainbow Dash is just a horse with wings. However, I do agree that Daring Do has a lot of potential to be a really good character. She may be a copy of Indy, but I think she also has her unique characteristics that make her better than other Indy copies (and there are a LOT of Indiana Jones copies)

I guess what I meant to say is that Indy's whip seems to be more recognized than his character overall. While Daring Do, as you and I both agree, has potential to be a great, if not, greater 2nd Indy.

• Brohoof 1