Chronamut

Yeah, good question.  And for that matter, how did she breathe since there is no air on the moon?

The astronaut helmet she brought with her! DUH!

I'm kidding. I have no idea

She was probably trapped like Discord judging from the shadow on the moon. Unless Alicorns dont need food, or they can attain energy through magic. She was actually probably talking to herself saying 'we' repeatedly. Throws a tantrum or two, then uses affirmations alone to keep her focus on returning and to not cognitively deteriorate.

• Brohoof 1

I would venture that the answer of some kind of magical imprisonment that either paused time for Luna (nightmare Night at the time), such as being in a coma. or dramatically increasing at which time passed years seem like days etc...

Or if it was more realistic she sat on the moon suffocating for 1000 years, yeah that sounds fun um Pinkie Pie? I hope that is not the case such punishment for anyone would be extreme. Except for King Sombra I would have no problem with that happening to him. 

I always figured she went into some sort of hibernation, because honestly, if she were literally sitting up there doing nothing for 1000 years, not only would she would literally go insane, it would be an incredibly cruel punishment on Celestia's part. I don't imagine she wanted to torture her, just get rid of her temporarily.

• Brohoof 1

oh maybe she was just splattered all over the moon - after all there was that whole "mare in the moon" shadow on the moon - maybe it took her 1000 years to "pull herself together" nyuk nyuk nyuk..

Considering how she woke up from her dream in a bed in Canterlot in "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" (Or whatever it's called.) I doubt it. 

I wonder if she still visits the moon, or if she's just done with having anything to do with it other than raising and lowering it.

Also why did the alicorns dump the task of raising the moon onto unicorns to begin with, if alicorns actually benefit from doing such actions, and it simply strains unicorns to do so?

I wonder if she still visits the moon, or if she's just done with having anything to do with it other than raising and lowering it.

Also why did the alicorns dump the task of raising the moon onto unicorns to begin with, if alicorns actually benefit from doing such actions, and it simply strains unicorns to do so?

I think Luna going to the Moon would cause PTSD symptoms, so I doubt she would go back unless she's trying to punish herself. 

Back then, the purpose of the Unicorns were to raise the sun and the moon. Maybe the Alicorns let them do it so unicorns as a whole would have a purpose. If Unicorns couldn't raise the sun and the moon, the other tribes wouldn't benefit from them, and they would be extinct. (My theory)

lol "YOU NEED TO DO THIS, OR YOU WILL ALL DIE"

doesn't equestria have gods? Shouldn't they be responsible for all this? I do marvel at how NOTHING works nature wise unless the ponies make it happen.

Crops don't grow, the weather doesn't exist, the sun and moon don't go up and down..

lol "YOU NEED TO DO THIS, OR YOU WILL ALL DIE"

doesn't equestria have gods? Shouldn't they be responsible for all this? I do marvel at how NOTHING works nature wise unless the ponies make it happen.

Crops don't grow, the weather doesn't exist, the sun and moon don't go up and down..

Except in the Everfree Forest. 

Discord was God, but he got so obsessed with his powers that he became corrupt. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had to do something. Princess Celestia wanted him reformed because she didn't want anyone to become atheists from the fear that they will start believing that the sun and the moon don't rise or fall, it looks that way because the planet turns on it's axis. She didn't want Twilight to betray her.  

That's what the cult of atheist ponies want you to believe! (I'm not against atheists.)

lol cute :P

also what happened to celestias parents? I never find consistent information concerning this