Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode gets overhyped?

cybershocker455

"OHMAIGAWD TRIXIE"

lolwot?

She's been in two episodes, and most people bitch about her because of Magic Duel. "Trixie was so mean she is evil".

I think Twilight's Kingdom and Cutie Re-Mark, are both overhyped. While the S4 finale was ok, it wasn't HOLY SHIT OMG BEST THING EVER)!&T@&!%@*^!%

And Cutie Re-Mark was just bad all over, but somehow it's praised.

Edited by Zhortac

I'm going to jump on the Slice of Life bandwagon here. A lot of people loved it and were excited for it when it was first announced, but IMO it suffered heavily from bad plot structure and poor pacing. I understand it was more of an episode focused on humor, but even then, by the second time I watched it I realized how forced and unfunny the memes are. It may be just because I outgrew the fanon and BG ponies a while ago, but meh.

Oh, and Scare Master in a way. A lot of people say it was one of the best episodes from S5, but to me it was rather boring, plus Fluttershy's fears felt really exaggerated in the first act. Not to mention Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep, it gets a bunch of praise from Luna fans, yet the moral is done in one of the worst ways possible.

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 5

lolwot?

She's been in two episodes, and most people bitch about her because of Magic Duel. "Trixie was so mean she is evil".

What are you talking about? Trixie's a fan favorite, and the episode came around the time she was still ridiculously popular and people loved the episode(and still do), even though it felt like your typical "Trixie's Revenge" fic along with a redemption that, imo, started the trend of bad redemption.

Hell, her redemption is part of the reason I prefer EQG's Trixie over the pony version, she's just better as a rival/antagonist

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight's Kingdom easily. 

A single DBZ-esque fight scene does not equal "ZOMG BEST EPISODE EVAR!!!" Especially not when the rest of the episode is full of terrible writing and ridiculous contrivances.  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 3

What are you talking about? Trixie's a fan favorite, and the episode came around the time she was still ridiculously popular and people loved the episode(and still do), even though it felt like your typical "Trixie's Revenge" fic along with a redemption that, imo, started the trend of bad redemption.

Hell, her redemption is part of the reason I prefer EQG's Trixie over the pony version, she's just better as a rival/antagonist

No she's not. I've seen more people that hate her, than like her. Considering the majority of the fanbase are fans of Fluttershy, Luna, Derpy, and Rainbowshit. Plus, she hasn't really had a redemption, because she really didn't do anything that bad, and Magic Duel she was influenced by a cursed amulet.

• Brohoof 1

No she's not. I've seen more people that hate her, than like her. Considering the majority of the fanbase are fans of Fluttershy, Luna, Derpy, and Rainbowshit. Plus, she hasn't really had a redemption, because she really didn't do anything that bad, and Magic Duel she was influenced by a cursed amulet.

Just because her fanbase isn't as big as those 4 doesn't mean she isn't a popular character, she's still routinely a popular character in contests and polls. And I still don't buy the "Influenced by the cursed amulet" argument, otherwise she wouldn't have bought it in the first place(hence why the ending was a load of bollucks)

Also Rainbowshit, that's cute

• Brohoof 4

Just because her fanbase isn't as big as those 4 doesn't mean she isn't a popular character, she's still routinely a popular character in contests and polls. And I still don't buy the "Influenced by the cursed amulet" argument, otherwise she wouldn't have bought it in the first place(hence why the ending was a load of bollucks)

Also Rainbowshit, that's cute

And I suppose Rainbow Dash trading Fluttershy into slavery for a book, wasn't her fault right? You really don't understand how cursed magic works, and considering that amulet was being sold by some shady ass, black market looking dude, it's a valid argument. As for her "popularity", it's only gotten this way recently, because of a big push that was made during the last pony vote comp here, which was as far as she's ever gotten. Also, people were expecting her to show up in S5, especially after Gilda got a pretty good redemption episode, and since Trixie was in S1 and S3.

You do know that people can like more than one character at the same time, right? 

No shit, but those ponies have a massively bigger fan support than Trixie. Shit, ever since the S4 finale, Twilight's fanbase has reached their levels and surpassed all but Fluttershy and Luna.

• Brohoof 1

And I suppose Rainbow Dash trading Fluttershy into slavery for a book, wasn't her fault right? You really don't understand how cursed magic works, and considering that amulet was being sold by some shady ass, black market looking dude, it's a valid argument. As for her "popularity", it's only gotten this way recently, because of a big push that was made during the last pony vote comp here, which was as far as she's ever gotten. Also, people were expecting her to show up in S5, especially after Gilda got a pretty good redemption episode, and since Trixie was in S1 and S3.

It's true that the Alicorn Amulet influenced Trixie, but in a sense it amplified her already innate desires, so it is indeed a kind of redemption in that Trixie does feel apologetic about wanting to get revenge on Twilight. Regarding the second point—you do realize that the fanbase isn't just these forums, right? The fandom is spread far and wide into several different Internet communities, and in Equestria Daily, for example, she's quite loved. She has a fairly substantial following, especially considering how she only appeared in two episodes and a movie. So I'd say she's quite popular—and your third point, regarding how people want her to show up in S5, only proves it, which is kinda ironic.  :blink:

Also, uh, maybe cut the unnecessary hostility a bit? It'd be best for all of us to hold a reasoned discussion.  ;)

Edited by Clarity
  • Brohoof 2

It was totally her fault, but those are two completely different situations with two different solutions

Trixie, bought the thing for the sole purpose of revenge and power, even after the guy told her it was a dangerous artifact(until money changed his mind), whereas Rainbow accidentally traded her friend for a book and did what she could to reverse the decision

• Brohoof 3

It was totally her fault, but those are two completely different situations with two different solutions

Trixie, bought the thing for the sole purpose of revenge and power, even after the guy told her it was a dangerous artifact(until money changed his mind), whereas Rainbow accidentally traded her friend for a book and did what she could to reverse the decision

Except that was on her own free will. Trixie had no idea the amulet was like that, hell no one did apparently. Twilight couldn't find anything on it. And to be perfectly honest, the mane 6 are the reason it happened, since they're the ones that started to heckle Trixie, at her show. Then they pushed Twilight to do something, and it escalated when the town idiots nearly destroyed the town, because of the heckling. But I suppose main characters are immune to blame for their own stupidity...

My two most hated episodes are Tanks for the Memories and Slice of Life, both of which have lots of fans.

Tanks for the Memories has nearly ruined Rainbow Dash as a character, by showing that she is willing to go to disturbing lengths for a minor personal gain. But the thing that ruins the entire episode is that she never has to apologize for her horrible deeds. No one is even aware that she blew up the factory. The only way I can tolerate seeing her on screen anymore is by pretending that the whole thing never really happened, erasing the episode from my mind.

And then there's Slice of Life, the only episode which I couldn't stand to watch in its entirety. It was almost physically painful to see the fandom's memes butchered in that way. I think that the scene that best exemplifies why Slice of LIfe is a bad episode is the opening. The "joke" there is just that Derpy says "Muffin". Yes, that's literally the entirety of the "comedic value" of that scene.

That's not even a joke, that's just acknowledging that the fandom says these things sometimes. If you're not into the fandom, you won't get the joke, and if you are, you've seen it done better in fan works.

Agreed. I would add Tanks for the Memories, I didn't like that episode but didn't know it had a big following so didn't refer to it. But since you say so, I would say why I didn't like Tanks for the Memories was that it felt like it was a "try hard" as in it was trying too hard to make Rainbow Dash look like a softie, I felt the same way for the first Tank and Rainbow episode but that one was far less on the cringe factor because Rainbow was still true to her character in getting pets to race for her love. 

I felt Griffonstone made a better show for showing Rainbow Dash's good side and the bond she and Gilda held. 

Edited by cider float

Slice of Life, since it was less of an episode and more of a "Let's see how many fandom references we can cram into twenty minutes!".

Only thing that episode did, was pretty much confirm (as much as they can for a childrens cartoon), that Lyra and Bonbon are a couple.

Well, I would have to say:

-The Cutie Map

-The Cutie Re-Mark

-Slice of Life (Honestly, the episode just felt like fan service, everything the fans wanted or expected in a nutshell. What's worse is that they actually tried to make the episode kind of funny, which just made it even more cringe-worthy.)

-Any Luna, Celestia, or Discord episode

-Twilight's Kingdom

-Crusaders and The Lost Mark (Mostly because the CMC got their cutie marks in this episode. I admit I liked the episode a lot, plus, the songs were amazing, but it was really rushed, as most musical episodes go, and could've been better as a two-part episode, maybe?)

-Scare Master

-Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep

• Brohoof 1

*sigh* I don't think she has even had any episodes about her, but maybe she might in Season 6

I hope to god she gets one in S6, she's far long overdue for one. Even Big Jim says she deserves an episode

• Brohoof 1

I hope to god she gets one in S6, she's far long overdue for one. Even Big Jim says she deserves an episode

Yeah, I hope so.

Just as long as we don't get any more rushed and badly written episodes, like 'The Cutie Re-Mark.'

The season 5 finale was ok, but kind of "meh".

I think the worst part had to be Starlight Glimmer's flimsy and horrible excuse of a backstory, I mean that was so horrible and... ugh, it just made me cringe. :eww:

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, I hope so.

Just as long as we don't get any more rushed and badly written episodes, like 'The Cutie Re-Mark.'

The season 5 finale was ok, but kind of "meh".

I think the worst part had to be Starlight Glimmer's flimsy and horrible excuse of a backstory, I mean that was so horrible and... ugh, it just made me cringe. :eww:

I know I was like "that was what it was all building up towards?" *facehoof*

At that point Starlight's backstory was more like a really bad OC backstory.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2

I know I was like "that was what it was all building up towards?" *facehoof*

At that point Starlight's backstory was more like a really bad OC backstory.

Before her backstory, the pain Starlight Glimmer felt seemed kind of real, but instead of a good or somewhat decent backstory,

she just got a crappy, rushed, and painfully cringeworthy one.

My best guess is that they just ran out of ideas on her backstory...

But, the thing that was more shocking is that she got accepted by the Mane 6 way TOO fast.

At least Sunset Shimmer had a somewhat decent backstory, and it took some time for her to gain trust and acceptance from the Mane 6.

Honestly, I just hate rushed episodes.

It just feels like those kind of episodes go by way too fast, and end up being painfully bad, rushed, and having a 'happy ending' just to make the little kids who watch the show happy.

It's kind of like fairy tales, but even more sugarcoated just to make it more "kiddie", boring, and "family-friendly."

• Brohoof 3

Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep is in many ways a total mess, with one of the most rushed endings in the series, a rather boring first half that doesn't have the time to really do the "mane six nightmares" concept justice for the most part. The massive dream with all it's wackiness IS entertaining but it's not enough to save the episode. If it started anyone but Luna it would be nowhere near as popular. 

Also going to have a throw a vote in for an oldie, Sonic Rainboom. By no means a bad episode but It's frankly dominated by Party of One and Suited for Success as far as single character focus episodes go.

I don't know why people are saying "Discord episodes in general are overrated", What about Discord is typically considered toward the bottom of S5, Three's a Crowd is seen as meh by most (though I actually disagree there, I quite liked it) and Keep Calm and Flutter On is mixed reception at best. The only Discord episodes that are basically universally liked are the S2 opener and Make New Friends But Keep Discord. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 6

I thought of another episode that many people seem to like, but I can't stand: Sweet and Elite

Let's count all the awful deeds Rarity commits during the episode:

1. Lying about who Rainbow Dash is, to protect her reputation
  2. Neglects working on Twilight's dress. This one pisses me off the most, because her lack of effort results in her accidentally making what Twilight wanted. Moral: no need to put in hard work, keep procrastinating and the work will do itself.
  3. Mistreats Opalescence to make an excuse (Also lying to her friends in the process)

By the end of the episode, no one is none the wiser about all of these things. She gets away with it all without having to apologize or confess. What an awful moral to teach to little kids!

• Brohoof 2

I thought of another episode that many people seem to like, but I can't stand: Sweet and Elite

Let's count all the awful deeds Rarity commits during the episode:

• Lying about who Rainbow Dash is, to protect her reputation
  • Neglects working on Twilight's dress. This one pisses me off the most, because her lack of effort results in her accidentally making what Twilight wanted. Moral: no need to put in hard work, keep procrastinating and the work will do itself.
  • Mistreats Opalescence to make an excuse (Also lying to her friends in the process)
By the end of the episode, no one is none the wiser about all of these things. She gets away with it all without having to apologize or confess. What an awful moral to teach to little kids!
She does learn her lesson in the end though.
  • Brohoof 3