Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episode gets overhyped?

cybershocker455

Just by reading the title you can tell this will get into some heated discussions, so I just want to say to provide a good reason why you don't like this episode and to respect the opinions of others. Do unto others as they do unto you, as they say.

With that out of the way, I will admit and say I'm not the biggest fan of Tanks for the Memories. I'm sorry but Rainbow Dash was way too selfish and way too self-entitled in that episode. I get that what they were trying to do but that didn't make Rainbow any less of a jerk in that episode. The fact she didn't get any real comeuppance only makes things worse.

• Brohoof 1

I don't see any as overhyped. I don't particularly enjoy them all, but I do admit to liking Tanks For the Memories, and several others that are largely viewed as "overrated" by some.

I'm not picky, I'm not demanding. I'm just a very hard to disappoint guy.

• Brohoof 3

Hands down season openers and finales. Also, episodes that feature Luna or Discord.

(Of course there are exceptions, though...)

The first because they often try to have a too epic feeling but end falling short because the cartoon can't keep up with expectations and the stakes involved. The second because the fans go berserk when they are announced and no matter how flawed the episode, it gets praised simply for the fact that these characters star on it.

• Brohoof 3

Slice of Life, Luna Eclipse, and Magic Duel 

"OHMAIGAWD LUNA"
"OHMAIGAWD TRIXIE"
"OHMAIGAWD DERPY, MAH HEADCANON"

"BEST EPISODES EVER!!!!"

EDIT: Seconding Cutie Remark

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 8

Both the Cutie Map and the Cutie Re-Mark. I don't personally don't understand why those two are loved so much. I feel like they are easily the weakest premiere and finale of any season so far. Starlight was barely developed despite getting technically 4 episodes dedicated to her, her extreme abilities seemed unjustified to me, the premiere ended on such a buzzkilled note and they had to make time travel be a major plot-point of the finale, which irritates me. I really did not enjoy the premiere or finale of season 5, but at least the finale ended on a decent note. 

• Brohoof 5

The Season 5 finale, the Cutie Re-mark—by far one of the worst pair of episodes I've ever seen, but it seems to be enjoyed by the majority of the fandom.  :confused:

Probably it's because they spoiled it waay ahead..my friend nearly spoiled it for me too; They didn't do a good job with Starlight's development though,

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much all of the two parters past the end of Season 2. Also a lot of episodes which bring in fandom elements like Trixie in Magic Duel or all the pandering in Slice of Life and Do Princesses Dream? (I do really like the latter though) 

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pride - I think this is the most overrated episode ever. Seems like the only reason why it's loved so much is because Weird Al is in it. And I'm not a fan of polka 

Slice of Life, Luna Eclipse, and Magic Duel 

"OHMAIGAWD LUNA"

"OHMAIGAWD TRIXIE"

"OHMAIGAWD DERPY, MAH HEADCANON"

"BEST EPISODES EVER!!!!"

I disagree with this completely especially as those are 3 of my favorite episodes, but I brohoofed because those comments go perfectly with your avatar. 

I personally think Power Ponies is overhyped. It's like "Ermergerd! Avenger Pernies!" I honestly think that Avengers itself is really overhyped, and that anything associated with is automatically becomes "Teh best thing evar!"  :love:

I believe it's more about certain episodes getting over hype due to the guest stars.

For example, Pinkie Pride was an episode many were looking forward to particularly because of Weird Al. I think it's safe to say half the fans were disappointed because honestly, Weird Al didn't steal the show as many expected.....Pinkie dominated her own episode in my opinion while Weird Al only contributed a little.

The Mane Attraction received huge hype as well ever since the early release of RaRa's song "I am Just a Pony" (or is it called Magic inside of you?) Regardless, by the time the episode was released, the song didnt have that "the feels" impact for me anymore and you could say the episode was more of a "playing it safe" episode rather than a sensational one.

The Mystery Magical Cure is another....everyone knew this was the moment Twilight becomes an Alicorn but I'm sure, despite the songs being enjoyable, the episode itself wasn't really understandable nor the BEST.

The Crusaders of the Lost Mark: too much hype for this episode that was slopily executed imo. Worst paced episode, the songs were good though, DT deserved better than some cliche "my mom is the reason I've given all you hell for the past year", everyone going happy go lucky within 5seconds like how everyone forgave Starlight Glimmer...... just....the episode could have been better tbh. It only had a strong ending

Slice of Life is not a bad episode tbh. I don't mind a fanservice episode since it's common for any huge popular series. But the hype for it is overrated. While I personally think it should be highly appreciated, others practically worship the episode and then get mad when people mention it was nothing but a fanservice episode full of memes and their speculations becoming canon. Don't get angry when we're merely calling an episode what it is....it's not like it's a BAD thing

And finally, The Cutie Re-Mark. A LOT OF HYPE for this....because we all expected more from Starlight and I think her back story was crap as well as her redemption. Her reformation was decent though...I'm glad she didn't hop to stopping her plans super fast. It took further convincing.

Episodes that I personally think receive "over hate" :

Mysterious Mare Do-Well (will explain further if needed)

Edited by Silver Stream.
  • Brohoof 1

Slice of Life.

It's a horrible episodes filled with fanservice and memes and nothing else. Yet people act like it's the second coming of Christ because Derpy said muffins.

• Brohoof 9

Luna Eclipsed. I feel the episode got too much hype and love just due to Luna being in it. The story is pretty bothersome to get to since it hinges on not knowing on why Ponyville is scared of her until the very end. Also that gag of everyone not knowing who Star Swirl was got old very quickly.

• Brohoof 2

The Season 5 finale, the Cutie Re-mark—by far one of the worst pair of episodes I've ever seen, but it seems to be enjoyed by the majority of the fandom.  :confused:

Sounds less like its overhyped and more like your just a minority

Sounds less like its overhyped and more like your just a minority

Look around this thread—you can basically say that for just about every episode mentioned here.  :huh:  My being in the minority is actually precisely why I think The Cutie Re-Mark is overhyped, as that would mean most people do enjoy it, which is more credit than I believe should have been attributed to this two-parter. 

• Brohoof 3

Slice of Life, without a doubt. It's nothing but fanservice and unfunny jokes that doesn't work unless you're in the fandom.

Seriously Slice of Life was a big turning point. A major disturbance. It basically said that the writers will do anything now.

Do Princesses of Magic Sheep was like a mini Slice of Life and that episode was one of my examples of what writers would do after Slice of Life now.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 3

The Cutie Map, The Cutie Re-Mark, and Slice of Life are all episodes I couldn't get into and certainly didn't understand why people liked them.

Slice of Life is unfunny and cringe-worthy, The Cutie Map is dull and uninteresting, and the Cutie Re-Mark just wasn't that good overall tbh

Also any episode with Luna because "Luna!!! xD"

• Brohoof 3

My two most hated episodes are Tanks for the Memories and Slice of Life, both of which have lots of fans.

Tanks for the Memories has nearly ruined Rainbow Dash as a character, by showing that she is willing to go to disturbing lengths for a minor personal gain. But the thing that ruins the entire episode is that she never has to apologize for her horrible deeds. No one is even aware that she blew up the factory. The only way I can tolerate seeing her on screen anymore is by pretending that the whole thing never really happened, erasing the episode from my mind.

And then there's Slice of Life, the only episode which I couldn't stand to watch in its entirety. It was almost physically painful to see the fandom's memes butchered in that way. I think that the scene that best exemplifies why Slice of LIfe is a bad episode is the opening. The "joke" there is just that Derpy says "Muffin". Yes, that's literally the entirety of the "comedic value" of that scene.

That's not even a joke, that's just acknowledging that the fandom says these things sometimes. If you're not into the fandom, you won't get the joke, and if you are, you've seen it done better in fan works.

• Brohoof 6