Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cannabis

Member Berry

I don't know...It happened to me to try it and it was okay. But I also think the fact that it is a totally different thing from the tobacco and that not everyone reacts the same way, especially if you acquire the "habit" of smoking it frequently.

I don't think is correct reasoning like: "if alcohol and tobacco are legal, then even marijuana" ..it is a dangerous argument. Certainly I think that marijuana is much less dangerous than alcohol, but..today marijuana, tomorrow what else? one day, it could become legal any real crap.

So, I support legalization for medical use.......for the rest I don't know. A part of me would say "yes" also for recreational use...but,the fact is that I don't trust people. One thing is smoking marijuana occasionally, another is smoking it regularly and without problems of any kind.

• Brohoof 1

I'm all for legalizing it for both medicinal and recreational purposes. Sure, it isn't harmless, but more people have died from alcohol and tobacco than cannabis. And if we were to lock up everyone who smoked marijuana, than that would be a lot of people. The past 3 U.S. presidents (Obama, W Bush, and Clinton) have admitted to smoking cannabis. And also a lot of politicians (including some of the presidential candidates). So that means when it comes to the issue of cannabis, people who say that politicians are hypocritical are right. The other thing is that like people have already pointed out, the stigma of pot (and other drugs) was born out of racism.

I'm against cannabis legalization. It may seem like a good idea to some right now, but later down the road it's going to create a huge problem. Marijuana is a gateway drug. The longer you use it, overtime, it won't give you the same high. The progression will be to go on to a stronger drug to get the same high. And then a stronger one. And a stronger one. Next thing you know, this country is going to have a drug addiction problem on its hands. Sounds outlandish? Not really. While I would like to think that people have enough self control to not get addicted, I wouldn't be so naive to believe that. If cannabis becomes legalized across the board, we'll have a populous of dumb down, stoned people that can't function in society. I'm sure there would be some responsible people, but most won't be. Plain and simple. Isn't it the perfect set up for a corrupt government system to rake in the money and pull one over on people who are too high to give a care?

My mother was working for a medical marijuana clinic in California before it was truly legal. Medically it was on the fence. But it was helping people with cancer and horrible pain.

I'm all for it. Personally it's not my thing either. I've done it, didn't like it. Glad I had the experience but that's it.

But being from a medical family, I understand that dope has no ill effects. Besides paranoia... 

All other drugs, alcohol included have killed far more people. Dope has never killed a single person.

• Brohoof 1

SOMEWHAT on the fence about it until I actually smoked it a couple times recently and I thought to myself "WTFFFFF is the federal government doing, those money grubbers..." So of course it should be legalized, it's so harmless and makes you feel just alright and so so sooo relaxed....Need to quit taking this shit off the feds and legalize it nationally.  B)

My mother was working for a medical marijuana clinic in California before it was truly legal. Medically it was on the fence. But it was helping people with cancer and horrible pain.

I'm all for it. Personally it's not my thing either. I've done it, didn't like it. Glad I had the experience but that's it.

But being from a medical family, I understand that dope has no ill effects. Besides paranoia... 

All other drugs, alcohol included have killed far more people. Dope has never killed a single person.

And sooo, since you have smoked it you realize that it's PRETTYYYY harmless and that the feds have been lying to us...

Not only our government, but I was talking to an Australian friend of mine and I sort of got scolded for trying it cause I GUESS there is so much propaganda about it over there that it's up there with "meth"....god people need to wake up....  

It isn't completely harmless, and pretending that it is strikes me as just as bad as blindly demonizing it or ignoring all its medicinal uses.

Throwing this out there: fast food is more damaging than marijuana. In fact fast food has been proven to have more negative properties than positive, and yet it's perfectly legal to sell and consume. Fast Food is a major contributor to obesity which is one of the leading causes of death in the US.

Smoking marijuana slows your reaction times

Temporarily. Driving and operating machinery would still be illegal while under influence, similar to alcohol which also slows down your reaction times significantly more than marijuana and remains perfectly legal.

Hit the internet: Marijuana use has been tied to a number of vehicular accidents.  Including fatal ones.  If you don't consider marijuana a contributing factor in those accidents, you probably shouldn't consider alcohol a factor in drunk-driving accidents.

And thus why no one is advocating removing laws which would make driving under influence legal. I don't think anyone here has suggested that at all.

That's the thing: You aren't necessarily the most responsible or reliable person in the world when you're under the influence of any drug, illegal or otherwise.  People - high or sober - can be pretty dumb.  Or just not care.  If you're going to smoke marijuana - and I've said this before - do it in a safe environment.  Do it in the privacy of your own home without anyone else's lungs around, and minimize the potentially harmful effects your actions (or lack thereof) could have on others.

Legalizing it would make that more of the case. If you didn't have to hide it and could just buy it without having to be secretive people wouldn't feel the need to be as secretive about it and thus would be more comfortable doing it at home or among friends in safe environments instead of needing to go to some party or something or a dealer's house.

Nowadays, I rarely see anyone acting as though marijuana is the devil.  What I mostly see is people acting like it's a saint, and that's just as wrong.  Pretending that nothing bad ever happens to users doesn't mean something bad won't happen to you, and you aren't helping the push to legalize by doing so, either.

For many people marijuana helps deal with depression and pain. Depression is a real illness and marijuana can be used as a treatment just like medication can.

I think you may want to do a bit more research on the subject before you stress such certainty of opinion. It sounds to me like you have a personal stake in this. 

I'm against cannabis legalization. It may seem like a good idea to some right now, but later down the road it's going to create a huge problem. Marijuana is a gateway drug.

This has been proven false many times over at this point. The same way that a beer is not a gateway to hard liquor. When Colorado legalized Marijuana they saw no increase in major drug traffic, so that's clearly been disproven.

The longer you use it, overtime, it won't give you the same high.

Yes and no. To some, yes. However this is only in excessive use, which comes from a lack of self control since marijuana does not contain addictive chemicals in it. No more than say, junk food would.

The progression will be to go on to a stronger drug to get the same high. And then a stronger one. And a stronger one. Next thing you know, this country is going to have a drug addiction problem on its hands. Sounds outlandish? Not really.

It does sound outlandish because you described a minority of cases. Not to mention drug use is FAR more complex of an issue than just "people need that next high". Drug sales are high not because everyone needs to get a better high than last time, they are high because we have a VERY VERY VERY uneven wealth distribution. Many people who live in low income areas have no means to pay even the basics in life and selling drugs is more or less the only means they have. So naturally more drugs are going to get moved that way. While some people have addictions for other reasons a good portion of our drug problem comes from the fact that a lot of people using or selling have no other means to get by in life because they have no opportunities.

Take a stroll through the ghetto one day and tell me how many people you see with houses that are in unlivable conditions, and how many people you see strolling in to offer help, education, food, or even support to them. All our country ever does is talk about how we need to get poor people off of aid, but we don't offer these people living wage jobs and we don't give them opportunities and wonder why they turn to drugs.

If you want to blame the problem on drugs, you're just trying to get out of admitting that the problem is humans lack of giving a damn for those less fortunate than them. Sorry, but in order to TRULY make a dent on drug traffic someone with 4 Mustangs needs to be willing to sacrifice some of his wealth so someone who can't even afford food can get enough clean clothing to get a job to support themselves.

That's the truth of the matter, we blame drugs to get out of admitting that we don't take care of our poor or try to put them in better situations so they have the opportunity to succeed. Then we turn around and make excuses for it.

While I would like to think that people have enough self control to not get addicted, I wouldn't be so naive to believe that. If cannabis becomes legalized across the board, we'll have a populous of dumb down, stoned people that can't function in society.

I would wager your naivety comes from statements like that, not from believing that people have self control.

I'm sure there would be some responsible people, but most won't be.

So Colorado proved nothing to you? Legalized marijuana, population did not turn into stoners, nor did drug traffic increase.

Isn't it the perfect set up for a corrupt government system to rake in the money and pull one over on people who are too high to give a care?

Conspiracy theory, much? 

I can't help but ask; IS THIS EVEN A FORUM LEGAL TOPIC!?  Everywhere else people get banned for stuff like this and I randomly pop on and there it is in the topics thing, open for reply? Definitely not used to that lol.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY HONEST OPINION AND IS NOT A "HEY GO DO IT" OR A "DON'T DO IT" POST.

Anywho I'm cool with it. I've done it several times, and sampled (regretfully (you know I'm talking about you, 'shrooms)) some others as well.  

One major thing that I've experienced is that it's not what it's made out to be. For example most of my teachers throughout school made it sound like sampling will hook a person worse than candy does kids. Partially wrong. IF mixed with other kinds of drugs that are more addicting, or if the person sampling is known for getting addicted to things easily, it will be as made out. Otherwise it's not. Proof? Myself and a buddy. We partake every once in a while. We may say "we want some or would like to smoke some" once in a while. The same goes for alcohol.  Just because we drink does that make us alcoholics? No, and that is pretty much our relationship with the subject, like having a beer just because we want one. We aren't losing our minds without it (at least not in the murderous psycho sense like the media/school's make sampling out to be), aren't committing crimes or selling everything we own just to get a little bit. There are times we'll be board or upset and say "hey we want some because we went to relax" but again the same goes for other subjects, who doesn't have a go to thing they use to relax or wish they had in times of emotional stress? 

As for benefits, that's why I do it. I've got a bad temper and I've unintentionally tested the stuff. Had a situation come up one time while I was under. Normally I would have thrown something or broke something. That time I checked my scratches to see if they needed attention, grumbled about how the stupid cats shouldn't use their claws when on people, and continued watching my movie.Several more times I was run over, and yet I was calm other than a few complaints of "stupid cats". For me it was impossible to get angry, even though I wanted to the last couple of times (there were "skidmarks" all over my legs.   

Whether it should or shouldn't be done/legalized more depends on the person and whom they're with. Sometimes there will be extra ingredients in the batch and those could lead to very things teachers warn about, and are better off avoided.The partaker should be smart and know their limit or be with someone experienced and responsible enough to stop you when you've gotten to a certain point, mostly to avoid any health risks associated with too much (try breathing when you're laughing to hard). 

I can't help but ask; IS THIS EVEN A FORUM LEGAL TOPIC!?  Everywhere else people get banned for stuff like this and I randomly pop on and there it is in the topics thing, open for reply? Definitely not used to that lol.

Well considering marijuana is closer and closer to becoming legal in many areas and already is, it's no different than discussing say smoking? It's not a topic for selling the product, it's for discussing its legality which is usually fine for places that have debate areas.

Well considering marijuana is closer and closer to becoming legal in many areas and already is, it's no different than discussing say smoking? It's not a topic for selling the product, it's for discussing its legality which is usually fine for places that have debate areas.

Yeah but how often is it that we see a topic about a debatable subject live longer than a few replies before it's killed by an admin? Usually it's removed as soon as it's posted. Being that's the common, if not automatic response to such a thread, it's quite shocking to happen upon this thread in an "open for replies" condition. 

Yeah but how often is it that we see a topic about a debatable subject live longer than a few replies before it's killed by an admin? Usually it's removed as soon as it's posted. Being that's the common, if not automatic response to such a thread, it's quite shocking to happen upon this thread in an "open for replies" condition. 

Not true here! The admins actually seldom close topics that are "debate" material. The worst that usually happens is if people are just posting purposefully offensive comments they will be deleted and the thread continues. We even have a debate forum here on MLPForums. It's quite nice actually.

Not true here! The admins actually seldom close topics that are "debate" material. The worst that usually happens is if people are just posting purposefully offensive comments they will be deleted and the thread continues. We even have a debate forum here on MLPForums. It's quite nice actually.

Agreed. Quite supportive of the admins.  

I'm against legalizing marijuana for recreational use; partly because of things like this damned topic.  It isn't completely harmless, and pretending that it is strikes me as just as bad as blindly demonizing it or ignoring all its medicinal uses.  Hell, even caffeine has potentially negative effects; marijuana doesn't get off free just because you think it's been misjudged.

Also, some of the benefits have been comically exaggerated.  Not everyone who smokes marijuana will magically become happy and easy-going and go write some future-chart-topping tune.  Doing drugs doesn't make you more creative; though there have been creative people who happened to do drugs.  Just like with alcohol and sorrow-drowning, any woes and responsibilities that you manage to escape while under the influence of marijuana will come right back to you once the effects have faded.  Even if someone endeavored to stay high all their waking life, their responsibilities wouldn't vanish; though they might be significantly less capable of handling them.

Smoking marijuana slows your reaction times; that's something that would likely impair you should you decide to drive or operate heavy machinery while still experiencing its effects.  Hit the internet: Marijuana use has been tied to a number of vehicular accidents.  Including fatal ones.  If you don't consider marijuana a contributing factor in those accidents, you probably shouldn't consider alcohol a factor in drunk-driving accidents.

That's the thing: You aren't necessarily the most responsible or reliable person in the world when you're under the influence of any drug, illegal or otherwise.  People - high or sober - can be pretty dumb.  Or just not care.  If you're going to smoke marijuana - and I've said this before - do it in a safe environment.  Do it in the privacy of your own home without anyone else's lungs around, and minimize the potentially harmful effects your actions (or lack thereof) could have on others.

Nowadays, I rarely see anyone acting as though marijuana is the devil.  What I mostly see is people acting like it's a saint, and that's just as wrong.  Pretending that nothing bad ever happens to users doesn't mean something bad won't happen to you, and you aren't helping the push to legalize by doing so, either.

I don't think anyone here condones making driving high legal. That's ridiculous. While it certainly has less of an impact on motor skills then alcohol, it is still very dangerous and should be treated the same as drunk driving.

People seem to miss the point. You don't understand that people lose their jobs, their scholarships. hell they even go to PRISON in some states for smoking a damn plant. You support that?! If so, why? That does not help them, that only makes their lives harder. No one should go to jail for non violent crimes.

I respect your opinion, we are all different and entitled to our own opinions, but I just can't understand why anyone would be against it after looking at the facts. Weed is not the devil's grass, but it's not godly either, it's not harmless. Of course it has negative effects, but those effects are blown WAY out of proportion and unproven. People deserve to know the truth.

• Brohoof 3

I'm a medical marijuana cardholder and I live in a legalized state.  It is pretty awesome and our state has yet to fall apart at the seams just because people can get legal cannabis. I'm definitely pro-legalization.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know...It happened to me to try it and it was okay. But I also think the fact that it is a totally different thing from the tobacco and that not everyone reacts the same way, especially if you acquire the "habit" of smoking it frequently.

I don't think is correct reasoning like: "if alcohol and tobacco are legal, then even marijuana" ..it is a dangerous argument. Certainly I think that marijuana is much less dangerous than alcohol, but..today marijuana, tomorrow what else? one day, it could become legal any real crap.

So, I support legalization for medical use.......for the rest I don't know. A part of me would say "yes" also for recreational use...but,the fact is that I don't trust people. One thing is smoking marijuana occasionally, another is smoking it regularly and without problems of any kind.

One of marijuana's biggest arguments towards legalization is that it isn't as harmful as tobacco or alcohol. There is a fbold line between what should and shouldnt be legal and I don't believe that this is a gateway to dangerous drugs becoming available. That's just your paranoia talking.

I don't think anyone here condones making driving high legal. That's ridiculous. While it certainly has less of an impact on motor skills then alcohol, it is still very dangerous and should be treated the same as drunk driving.

People seem to miss the point. You don't understand that people lose their jobs, their scholarships. hell they even go to PRISON in some states for smoking a damn plant. You support that?! If so, why? That does not help them, that only makes their lives harder. No one should go to jail for non violent crimes.

I respect your opinion, we are all different and entitled to our own opinions, but I just can't understand why anyone would be against it after looking at the facts. Weed is not the devil's grass, but it's not godly either, it's not harmless. Of course it has negative effects, but those effects are blown WAY out of proportion and unproven. People deserve to know the truth.

Exactly. This is exactly what I'm saying.

• Brohoof 1

It should be legalized medically and recreationally while cigarettes get banned. Cigarette smokers can smoke weed as a replacement to their cigarettes or quit. Plus it will be sucessful to the economy if they tax it. So many wins for this.

• Brohoof 1

It should be legalized medically and recreationally while cigarettes get banned. Cigarette smokers can smoke weed as a replacement to their cigarettes or quit. Plus it will be sucessful to the economy if they tax it. So many wins for this.

Unfortunately, cigarettes won't be discarded so easily. However, less and less people are smoking. The teenage percentage of smokers is down to around 6% now. We're making good progress.  

People seem to miss the point. You don't understand that people lose their jobs, their scholarships. hell they even go to PRISON in some states for smoking a damn plant. You support that?! If so, why? 

I totally agree with you on this thing.

One of marijuana's biggest arguments towards legalization is that it isn't as harmful as tobacco or alcohol. There is a fbold line between what should and shouldnt be legal and I don't believe that this is a gateway to dangerous drugs becoming available. That's just your paranoia talking.

More than paranoia is my distrust for the people. However, I'm convinced that revolve around marijuana many unfounded rumors, by both sides. I personally would be in favor of legalization, mainly because I want that people who uses it in a responsible way, has a chance to smoke safely. Also, if I were against legalization I'd be a little hypocritical. But I reserve some doubt about the many "benefits" that people attribute to the legalization of marijuana.

• Brohoof 2

I totally agree with you on this thing.

More than paranoia is my distrust for the people. However, I'm convinced that revolve around marijuana many unfounded rumors, by both sides. I personally would be in favor of legalization, mainly because I want that people who uses it in a responsible way, has a chance to smoke safely. Also, if I were against legalization I'd be a little hypocritical. But I reserve some doubt about the many "benefits" that people attribute to the legalization of marijuana.

If people want to do harmful drugs then they will. With or without the boundaries of laws telling them what to do.

• Brohoof 1

On 1/9/2016 at 6:23 AM, SteelSpark said:

Yeah. Imagine watching mlp while smoking a blunt.

you should try it haha, it's dank.

Legalize It.

Edited by Zizkil
i have different opinions now lol
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
(edited)

Here's what I will say. I smoke every day. It's legal, cheap, and readily available in my home state. I think that comparatively, it's less harmful than other narcotic substances like nicotine and alcohol. HOWEVER, it is addictive and not without downsides. It increases tiredness and apathy, and can make you more prone to procrastinating. It is also painful to be without it, if you smoke every day, as you will experience withdrawal. And once you have easy access to it, it's very likely that you will become addicted. I'm not sure that it's generally good for society on the whole, but I can't be sure one way or the other- I am more skeptical of it than I once was, though. 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

I am a libertarian I don't blaze but why should I be concerned if someone is. The fact is I'm not and neither should you, "but we live in a society hurr durr" yeah whatever boomer. What I would say is if you want to speak out against weed then do so for alcohol too or cigarettes that is. Yet honestly it isn't as if weed is this like yo just some weed bro just like alcohol or nicotine it has its own you know things that'll affect your life. However, why should I care about how it affects your life? If you want go get some "e" some meth or whoonga then do it if you die from it whatever your choice enjoy the afterlife haha. 

• Brohoof 2