Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anybody moved to America to watch all MLP legally

Lithophila

I bet you have heard people moving to Japan to watch anime or stuff etc. Do you know some people you have met who moved to America simply because they love mlp. I am just wondering? :twi:

Edited by Lithophila
  • Brohoof 1

Not me. I'm born and raised in America, but I usually watch FIM online because my cable network only has Discovery Family SD, and FIM isn't developed for that resolution. In Standard Definition, FIM's video quality sucks.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

And why would you move to another country to watch it? You can just watch it wherever you are.

I get guilts from watching without paying. So i try to just be legal. Netflix have season 2 and 3, but it doesnt have later seasons yet though.

crunchyroll

Ah... it is accepted. But it is somewhat limited to what it airs. It does have Naruto Shippuden atleast though.

Edited by Lithophila

But... its not just any cartoon. Its MLP

...And? Sorry to break it to ya, but MLP technically is "just any cartoon", there's honestly nothing special completely life changing about it. At least for me, anyways.

I get guilts from watching without paying. So i try to just be legal. Netflix have season 2 and 3, but it doesnt have later seasons yet though.

Are you sure? Last time I checked netflix had all seasons.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
Are you sure? Last time I checked netflix had all seasons.

Its probably a restriction. I live in Norway. Here it is only seasons 2 and 3. I had to change the main language to English though in terms of main settings on Audio on the account, so everytime i login it will play the audio in english. Y'know... don't want my native language when watching the show. English always ^w^

...And? Sorry to break it to ya, but MLP technically is "just any cartoon"

Oh : I

Edited by Lithophila
  • Brohoof 1

I see the point.

Here in scandinavia it is hard enough to even find the series, then it is even harder to find it in a non-shitty dub or in english.

The biggest cause of piracy in the north is that our streaming services are terrible. Probably because they have no competition besides piracy.

The US is not really a place I would consider moving to, Canada on the other hand..... maybe.  ;) 

• Brohoof 1

I get guilts from watching without paying. So i try to just be legal

Step 1. Buy the DVDs

Step 2. ?????

Step 3. Profit.

Or you could just get Discovery kids. It's a little bit harder but not impossible.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Step 1. Buy the DVDs

Step 2. ?????

Step 3. Profit.

Or you could just get Discovery kids. It's a little bit harder but not impossible.

I like your thinking. But i wonder if there will be some area restriction on the DVD. Because not all seasons on DVD goes so far to season 5 just to mention some examples in what they sell in Europe. But i will check it out :)

Edited by Lithophila

If I immigrate to another country is going to be for reasons other than just that, if I leave America it will probably be in the likely event that it is going to collapse into a second civil war.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think so because anime is much bigger than MLP.

Anime has a culture, a step up from a fandom. It is a living, breathing subgroup that literally surrounds it's members within and without.

Anime, to put it in different terms, is life for some people.

Fandoms are found within cultures.

So why can't MLP be the same? MLP can be life for some.

Well, I think it's because it's just A show. It's one program.

Anime is many shows. There is much more of it and much of it is grounded in the culture that created it.

Therefore, while I think it's silly that anyone would move to Japan just because of anime, I can see why people would do it or want to do it.

Anime is more than a fandom. It's a culture. It influences the way it's most hardcore fans speak, dress, eat, view the world.

MLP, as it's just one show, would have difficulty grasping that same level.

You don't just watch Dragon Ball Z and suddenly want to move to Japan. Its just a show.

You end up falling in love with anime itself, the vessel that holds the singlar shows, before wanting to make the jump to Japan. They don't move to Japan to watch anime. They move to Japan to submerse themselves deeper into the authentic anime experience.

I don't like anime, but I'm just guessing. I doubt you'll find anyone who wants to move to the U.S.A just because of MLP, but you will find at least a handful of people who would like to move to Japan because of anime. They are often called Weeaboos by some.

Edited by pollo20x6
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think so because anime is much bigger than MLP.

Anime has a culture, a step up from a fandom. It is a living, breathing subgroup that literally surrounds it's members within and without.

Anime, to put it in different terms, is life for some people.

Fandoms are found within cultures.

So why can't MLP be the same? MLP can be life for some.

Well, I think it's because it's just A show. It's one program.

Anime is many shows. There is much more of it and much of it is grounded in the culture that created it.

Therefore, while I think it's silly that anyone would move to Japan just because of anime, I can see why people would do it or want to do it.

Anime is more than a fandom. It's a culture. It influences the way it's most hardcore fans speak, dress, eat, view the world.

MLP, as it's just one show, would have difficulty grasping that same level.

You don't just watch Dragon Ball Z and suddenly want to move to Japan. Its just a show.

You end up falling in love with anime itself, the vessel that holds the singlar shows, before wanting to make the jump to Japan. They don't move to Japan to watch anime. They move to Japan to submerse themselves deeper into the authentic anime experience.

I don't like anime, but I'm just guessing. I doubt you'll find anyone who wants to move to the U.S.A just because of MLP, but you will find at least a handful of people who would like to move to Japan because of anime. They are often called Weeaboos by some.

Not to diss on people who are into anime. But most anime can be more or less lewd. Although it has potential to be interesting. But usually its just... weird. I can mention one anime that is actually pretty good. "Kino's Journey". And also there is a series that bases on some insight into European Medieval history about trade "Not sure if its accurate but its interesting called "Spice and Wolf"

I don't know if this may be the case of publishing what one considers canon, or if its just like this most of the time. Like i can mention some decent ones. But most tend to be pretty lewd etc.

But i will give it that, it can have some very unique drawing styles sometimes. But i feel some are also way too focused on drama or to be more specific melodrama to ham it into your souls. Although to add the experience, the experience is what i love though and that it can be different than everything being about just school, or school fighters, or school drama, or school romance or school sub plot.

Like basically... not all are technically bad. But i see anime more as a way of testing your emotes, like just general ways of practicing it if you wanna draw or something "eye expressions. Outlines drawing, some easy details that flows"

But its cool if people are into it or whatever... Didn't mean to be mean even though it may sound like it :twi:

Edited by Lithophila

For a long time, there was no way to watch MLP legally here in the UK. The first season was on Boomerang and then taken off air for no reason. Then when the DVD's came out, they were put in the pre-school section, which stopped many Bronies from buying them in store out of embarrassment, and you bought the DVD's themselves, the episodes ran out of order. The airing of episodes on POP & Tiny Pop had some of the characters pitch get heightened to the point where the sounded a lot squeakier than they should. Finally, it took until Season 5 aired to get it ON NETFLIX. Which by then, I had already downloaded EVERY episode onto my computer, making it a venture I didn't need.

Pretty much, the UK's handling of MLP has been appalling, but never once did I consider getting on a plane and moving to the US for it. After watching a lot of streams of Season 5 episodes, the constant, consistently bad ad breaks make it very difficult to watch live. I would only ever move overseas if a job ever enticed me there. Plain and simple.

...And? Sorry to break it to ya, but MLP technically is "just any cartoon", there's honestly nothing special completely life changing about it. At least for me, anyways.

Are you sure? Last time I checked netflix had all seasons

Not all Countries have FiM though, because remember, this is Netflix were talking about.

Edited by Zach
  • Brohoof 1

. I live in Norway.

Get a job at the Norway pavillion in Disney World's epcot. They even pay for your travel and housing. Watch FIM in between shifts of selling handcarved trolls and glassmeister herring.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Not all Countries have FiM though, because remember, this is Netflix were talking about.

I will assume the reason is due to voices. Like they usually can be pretty slow in producing the dub so it takes a lot more time to reach that far. While in countries where they are produced they are more or less good to go for airing and you don't really need to worry about it(I mean americans also seems to get the good stuff Japanese makes, more than us poor Europeans, like some games being ported to USA but not elsewhere like SNES era to mention some examples). I wish the seasons could just exist with just purely the english audio. And then update it to other dubbed languages later (Although i am perfectly fine without the dub : 3)

But i guess this is the typical copyright and region protection that creates this hazzard of it. It kinda sucks though that good stuff can't be shared with the world. Although i won't claim to be an expert. But i am sure there is a reason. But i just wish there was a way for it to work in general.

Edited by Lithophila

I don't just have interests, I have obsessions, so I'm not one to judge people for taking their fandoms to extremes (and moving to a different country is definitely an extreme in my book). That being said, I worry about these people when the show ends. Or I'm jealous of them for having the circumstances and means to move according to whatever interest captivates them at the time. I can't decide which.