Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dark Theme

Many of us are night owls, I'm sure. I know I am. I tend to be online for a good portion of the night and one thing that hurts my eyes is a VERY bright colored website in a dark room. Could it be possible to perhaps have like a night time mode that makes the site a little less... Vibrant at night? I know the background changes, but big white text box and light blue trimmings aren't exactly good on the eyes at night time.

We could have it like Youtube where you just toggle it yourself when you want to use it. I know it'd require redesigning a theme, but I feel the end result would be worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

I for one would very much welcome a 'Night Theme' of sorts.

On a side note, I would recommend a poll for those who wanna speak up, but don't wanna actually think up a clever response to this thread to simply say yes or no to your idea.

• Brohoof 1

TVTropes (a favourite site of mine) has a nightvision option, where the background is all black and the text is white. Links to other pages are fittingly green. It's great on the eyes and makes night-time browsing much more relaxing.

• Brohoof 3

On a side note, I would recommend a poll for those who wanna speak up, but don't wanna actually think up a clever response to this thread to simply say yes or no to your idea.

The statistician in me can't agree with polls. Looking over the previous user created polls in Feedback it is painfully obvious that if staff ever went by them to make a decision it would be a huge mistake. You see, only a fractional amount of the active (key word there) community votes on those polls, so the effect would be the same as if we made no poll and staff made the decision themselves (a small minority making a decision without inclusion).

There are far better ways to determine if a new feature will be well received and if it is worth the effort it would take to develop it than a poll with low respondent activity. :)

The statistician in me can't agree with polls. Looking over the previous user created polls in Feedback it is painfully obvious that if staff ever went by them to make a decision it would be a huge mistake. You see, only a fractional amount of the active (key word there) community votes on those polls, so the effect would be the same as if we made no poll and staff made the decision themselves (a small minority making a decision without inclusion).

There are far better ways to determine if a new feature will be well received and if it is worth the effort it would take to develop it than a poll with low respondent activity. :)

kk, just a thought I had. I truly did believe it would help...

@@Key Sharkz,

I recommend trying out flux, it's a program that changes the color temperature of one's monitor according to time of day.  It's customizable as to how much you can have the color temp change, and you can choose between a quick, or a slow transition phase (I recommend the slow one).  

Here is what the settings look like.  Depending on what lights I have on in my room, (overhead, or just dim lamps), I typically have my night color temp setting between 5000K and 5800K, but your eyes may vary.

6288cec781.png

Here's the website if you are interested in it:

https://justgetflux.com/

~ Miles

• Brohoof 5

@@Key Sharkz,

I recommend trying out flux, it's a program that changes the color temperature of one's monitor according to time of day.  It's customizable as to how much you can have the color temp change, and you can choose between a quick, or a slow transition phase (I recommend the slow one).  

Here is what the settings look like.  Depending on what lights I have on in my room, (overhead, or just dim lamps), I typically have my night color temp setting between 5000K and 5800K, but your eyes may vary.

sig-4387486.6288cec781.png

Here's the website if you are interested in it:

https://justgetflux.com/

~ Miles

I've tried it at least on three different occasions and all it really seems to do is make my monitors look yellow. :c

I've tried it at least on three different occasions and all it really seems to do is make my monitors look yellow. :c

Well yeah, that is exactly what it does.  Blue light hurts the eyes at night, which is what you were talking about in your OP... May I ask, when you tried it before, did you ever adjust the settings to be subtle, like say, move the night color temp setting to 6000k, which is just 500k less than the color temp for day?

~ Miles

Well yeah, that is exactly what it does.  Blue light hurts the eyes at night, which is what you were talking about in your OP... May I ask, when you tried it before, did you ever adjust the settings to be subtle, like say, move the night color temp setting to 6000k, which is just 500k less than the color temp for day?

~ Miles

I've tried it all, and I really just found that the orange just annoyed me. It's not quite for me, I would prefer just a dark theme that I can switch on.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe make it just like the background right now, but night themed so it looks like Equestria is dark at night.

Yeah something like that. Like I was thinking making the forums black with the blue trimmings and the text all white, and it would just be a theme you select from the bottom.

I'm not particularly active, but I do agree with this suggestion; I find that darker forums and websites are much easier on the eyes at just about any time of day to me. Grays tend to help, a darker one for the background with either a paler gray or a white font is more relaxing, I find.