Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler |Teaser!|MLP: FIM Season 6 first shots preview!..

IvaCatheriaNoid

Okay, don't get me wrong, I am excited and all that and I am curious what is going to happen but....her being born as an Alicorn is friggin' stupid. Maybe it makes sense since (sense since!) we have never seen an Alicorn be born in the show, but that is part of the issue. Twilight and Cadence both had to earn that right but this baby gets a free pass with it. It could work, but it seems to diminish the concept a bit. 

I will say this: While the wings are...massive, I give kudos for not using the soulless baby eyes that we have seen before. These are a lot cuter.

I will give you a chance young baby alicorn thing. 

• Brohoof 2

Jesus.. that baby is so creepy.

But really, why? Please don't tell me the premiere will be centered around the baby. And about those wings.. I don't think they're actually as large as they look. The size of her wings was probably just exaggerated.

All of that aside, I am so excited for this. I'm glad the show is starting back up again so quickly. It has been a 5-6 month hiatus. Not bad, I have to say. Season 5's hiatus was about a year long. Hasbro knows they lost viewers during that time, so I guess they learned their lesson. xP

If I'm being honest I don't have a problem with the color of the baby or it's hair color in fact I think they look pretty cool. But oh my god the wings are so disproportionate and it's eyes are ridiculously huge!

So it's that you find the proportions off rather than not liking the design itself?

Another thing I forgot to mention.. the show changed the baby designs? Why? The ones in season 2 for Pound and Pumpkin were fine, there was no point in changing the baby design. I actually liked those better.

Not much to say other than that the wings and horns are a little too big in proportion compared to the rest of her body. Who knows though, it could be part of the plot... I'm expecting some kind of villain would try to kidnap her because of the abnormality or something...? XD

That aside, this is interesting. We'll have to see for ourselves later this spring.

Yes, I did storyboards for S6 ;) For 4 episodes. 

I can't really tell you what the titles for the episodes are, but I'd suggest you wait until they're officially announced. I can't tell you how many times I've seen various posts "leak" the titles and details for the next season and they'd be WAY off the mark. 

Can you at least confirm that no talks of ending the show on season 6 were made?

Another thing is that I'm annoyed it was born an alicorn.

Twilight and Cadence both had to earn that right but this baby gets a free pass with it. It could work, but it seems to diminish the concept a bit. 

Why does everyone assume that being an Alicorn must be earned or have some kind of extra merit to it. Really we have seen that Alicorns can be just as powerful as normal unicorns. So being an Alicorn does not inherently make anyone more powerful or more significant. Hell, Starlight was able to fly using magic and outmatched Twilight in magic and she is just a unicorn. So this notion that Alicorns need to be kept special or something is kind of silly at this point. I think people are more or less mad that their head canon is now broken.

Before anyone says... Find me the actual quote in the Journal that specifically says Celestia and Luna were born alicorns.

Show me where it says they weren't.

I hope to Celestia that somepony will say something like "Oh... This is a side-effect of being born to an alicorn mother... She'll lose those at some time and have normal wings/horn." Now I know that the likelihood of this actually happening is minimal... But let me dream. I'm actually guessing that this baby is not the real one, it's a changeling. Not the changelings from Canterlot Wedding, the real changelings from myth. The ones that kidnap babies from royalty and substitute with their own, so that they'll feed from the parents' love. But I'm probably putting too much stock in the writers with this theory, and the fact that changelings already appeared in the show.  

This sounds more like a "protect my head canon" theory than a legitimate story line. :P

It sounds very similar to the "Twilight will somehow become a unicorn again" theory that people had at the end of season 5 and it's constructed from the same logic.

Edited by Guest

Why does everyone assume that being an Alicorn must be earned or have some kind of extra merit to it. Really we have seen that Alicorns can be just as powerful as normal unicorns. So being an Alicorn does not inherently make anyone more powerful or more significant. Hell, Starlight was able to fly using magic and outmatched Twilight in magic and she is just a unicorn. So this notion that Alicorns need to be kept special or something is kind of silly at this point. I think people are more or less mad that their head canon is now broken.

Alicorns are much more powerful than unicorns. There is a reason the foal was born with larger wings and horn than usual. Starlight being able to match Twilight in magic prowess made no sense and many, including me, criticized that.

Honestly, I am kind of amazed. A fandom that constantly preaches how progressive it is, is so resistant to any and all changes regardless of how tiny they might be. I mean we're talking about a fandom that flipped out over Vinyl's eye color.

Alicorns are much more powerful than unicorns. There is a reason the foal was born with larger wings and horn than usual. Starlight being able to match Twilight in magic prowess made no sense and many, including me, criticized that.

Yet it happened. So therefore it shows that alicorns being much more powerful by default is merely head canon, so you have no real argument against it.

Honestly, I am kind of amazed. A fandom that constantly preaches how progressive it is, is so resistant to any and all changes regardless of how tiny they might be. I mean we're talking about a fandom that flipped out over Vinyl's eye color.

Yet it happened. So therefore it shows that alicorns being much more powerful by default is merely head canon, so you have no real argument against it.

Don't forget the Brouhaha over Twilight's ascension! There were many cries of "I'm leaving the fandom!" over that.   

• Brohoof 1

Because it's a better story thread than "birthright" and because that is what happened to the other two alicorns we know of, except Celestia and Luna.

Show me where it says they weren't.
Show me where it does. <childish laugh> I'm just saying that neither is canon and I have a preference. Is that a crime?

This sounds more like a "protect my head canon" theory than a legitimate story line.   It sounds very similar to the "Twilight will somehow become a unicorn again" theory that people had at the end of season 5 and it's constructed from the same logic.
It's interesting that you say that because when you ask me to show you where it says that they were born alicorns, it sounds exactly the same. And I feel offended that you'd compare me to people wanting Twilight to go back to being an unicorn. This is a joke by the way.

Don't forget the Brouhaha over Twilight's ascension! There were many cries of "I'm leaving the fandom!" over that. 

It's incredible how people will go so far as to even deny what the show has blatantly stated and shown just because they disagree with it and somehow claim their head canon is still correct despite being proven wrong based upon the grounds of "I don't agree with it."

Alicorns can be beaten by unicorns, Starlight proved that. Alicorns are not ultra-undefeatable by default, that was proven in that fight. Alicorns have proven time and time again to not be the strongest entity in Equestria and can be beaten by others who can use magic depending on their skill level. Honestly I don't get why people feel this is a "bad" thing, it pretty much shows that in Equestria even if you are born talented and powerful that hard work can trump that. Isn't that a BETTER lesson? That talent alone does not trump hard work and dedication? Starlight studied her whole life and was able to defeat Twilight, that shows that Starlight's hard work is rewarded.

Why MUST Alicorns remain this super ultra-god-tier thing?

Because it's a better story thread than "birthright" and because that is what happened to the other two alicorns we know of, except Celestia and Luna.

"Better" is subjective.

Show me where it does. I'm just saying that neither is canon and I have a preference. Is that a crime?

It is annoying when it's clear you are only asserting that point because you can't accept that your head canon is wrong.

It's interesting that you say that because when you ask me to show you where it says that they were born alicorns, it sounds exactly the same. And I feel offended that you'd compare me to people wanting Twilight to go back to being an unicorn. This is a joke by the way.

I never said they WERE born as Alicorns, I said there there is nothing proving they were or were not so to assert one point as more factual than the other is foolish.

And honestly, I see little difference between what you're proposing and what those who were against Twilight Alicorn really. They proposed equally ridiculous far fetched ideas as to why they thought this change was not permanent.

Cadance and Shining had a baby, it's an alicorn, it's more than likely going to stay that way as Hasbro seldom goes back on these things as we've found out. You'll just have to learn to live with it because frankly your idea of somehow retconning it within the episode is rather ridiculous and sounds like a desperate plea to protect head canon rather than accept the possibility of change and letting Hasbro come up with their OWN explanation for their OWN universe rather than accept that which bronies have concocted. 

A fandom that constantly preaches how progressive it is, is so resistant to any and all changes regardless of how tiny they might be.

You're using a strawman (and, Key, you're using a stereotype, too). It's not about the change itself, but the quality and/or execution of the change.

Personally, I don't like Flurry Heart's design because the proportions of the eyes and wings feel really wonky, and the bright blue strip in her hair hurts my eyes.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

There is plenty of evidence for it. Celestia and Luna's special abilities. Their size, including larger wings and horns, which must be for more than aesthetics. Feats such as Twilight Sparkle easily performing a sonic rainboom soon after her ascension. And the season 4 finale, in which Twilight, with the power of 4 alicorns, was able to match Tirek, with the power of all other ponies in Equestria, Starlight Glimmer's likely included.

There is a reason alicorns are so rare, and always members of royalty.

You're using a strawman (and, Key, you're using a stereotype, too). It's not about the change itself, but the quality and/or execution of the change.

Personally, I don't like Flurry Heart's design because the proportions of the eyes and wings feel really wonky, and the bright blue strip in her hair hurts my eyes.

Allow me to rephrase:

There are many (but not all) people in this fandom who are resistant to change even when the change is not that big a deal. Example being Vinyl's eye colors. I am not dismissing arguments because they are resisting change, I am dismissing arguments that are hardly rooted in any kind of reasoning beyond "I don't like thing, I don't want thing." In this case it's the notion that Alicorns are these powerful god-tier creatures. The show has shown that's not true MANY times now, so to deny it is merely just resisting admitting that your theory is incorrect or entertaining other theories.

"Better" is subjective.
 Oh, come on!

"Born into it."

x

"Had to overcome challenges, learn things and apply knowledge gained into practical situations."

It is annoying when it's clear you are only asserting that point because you can't accept that your head canon is wrong.
How do you know what my headcanon is?

I never said they WERE born as Alicorns, I said there there is nothing proving they were or were not so to assert one point as more factual than the other is foolish.   And honestly, I see little difference between what you're proposing and what those who were against Twilight Alicorn really. They proposed equally ridiculous far fetched ideas as to why they thought this change was not permanent.   Cadance and Shining had a baby, it's an alicorn, it's more than likely going to stay that way as Hasbro seldom goes back on these things as we've found out. You'll just have to learn to live with it because frankly your idea of somehow retconning it within the episode is rather ridiculous and sounds like a desperate plea to protect head canon rather than accept the possibility of change and letting Hasbro come up with their OWN explanation for their OWN universe rather than accept that which bronies have concocted. 
And I don't think I said anything different. But you accused me of it. Can you understand a joke, by the way?

Their size, including larger wings and horns, which must be for more than aesthetics.

"Must be", not is. Their design could just be because the artists wanted them to stand out as royalty.

Feats such as Twilight Sparkle easily performing a sonic rainboom soon after her ascension.

Rainbow Dash as a toddler was able to perform one. So perhaps the feat isn't as spectacular as we're lead to believe.

And the season 4 finale, in which Twilight, with the power of 4 alicorns, was able to match Tirek, with the power of all other ponies in Equestria,

Doesn't mean they are powerful BECAUSE they're alicorns, they could have just practiced magic for so long that they have become that strong. Is it such a far fetched idea to think that maybe Celestia and Luna are powerful because of hard work and dedication?

There is a reason alicorns are so rare, and always members of royalty.

A reason we have not been given yet, so we can't say for certain it's due to their power. :P

Oh, come on!   "Born into it." x "Had to overcome challenges, learn things and apply knowledge gained into practical situations."  

That is assuming that being an Alicorn is some kind of significant power boost. If it does not (which is likely) then being born into it is no big deal.

How do you know what my headcanon is?  

Because you're going out of your way to resist a change that you clearly do not like. Either that or you just are complaining for the sake of complaining.

And I don't think I said anything different. But you accused me of it. Can you understand a joke, by the way?

I can understand a joke, thank you. 

I don't care if anyone complains, this gets me wondering what kind of new mishaps could happen.

Yes, her wings are big, but this is probably the first time a baby alicorn has appeared on the show, so that is new.

Her eyes don't seem to match Pumpkin and Pounds eyes, but maybe that might change, this footage isn't final... is it?

Don't try to judge it yet, this HAS gotten me excited, but it is not out yet, so just wait and see.

That is assuming that being an Alicorn is some kind of significant power boost. If it does not (which is likely) then being born into it is no big deal.
It is. There was a coronation and Twilight's friends bowed before her, along with Celestia, who mentioned that Twilight was now her equal and there was an entire season finale about how Twilight grew. And then the kids where fawning over Twilight for being a princess. Yes, being a princess is a big deal, even if the episodes don't do a good job of showing it when it's not plot important.

Because you're going out of your way to resist a change that you clearly do not like. Either that or you just are complaining for the sake of complaining.
How am I resisting a change by saying that I don't like it? Am I supposed to change my opinions on things because they get contradicted? Or must I shut up if my opinions are different than yours? I don't even know how to resist something in a conversation, as if I could change it, somehow, by saying I don't like it. I'm not going out of my way either. I'm doing something that I like: talking about ponies on the internet on my free time, and the subject of being born an alicorn is relevant. At least I was.

I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining either, I'm posting my opinion on a forum dedicated to this topic and participating in the discussion. You assumed that I have a headcanon about wherever or not the the sisters where born as alicorns because I preemptively mentioned the book, knowing that people would probably bring that up, when people do it and do it incorrectly.

Allow me to rephrase:

There are many (but not all) people in this fandom who are resistant to change even when the change is not that big a deal. Example being Vinyl's eye colors. I am not dismissing arguments because they are resisting change, I am dismissing arguments that are hardly rooted in any kind of reasoning beyond "I don't like thing, I don't want thing." In this case it's the notion that Alicorns are these powerful god-tier creatures. The show has shown that's not true MANY times now, so to deny it is merely just resisting admitting that your theory is incorrect or entertaining other theories.

The top half of your paragraph is still a strawman. What happened with Vinyl's eye color caught people by surprise, but they stopped caring, because Vinyl's fur color's a soft cream, and the sharp red eye color makes no sense. But a lot of bronies despised the Twilicorn and the EQG franchise for many good reasons, one of them being their execution is terrible. Season four pushed Twilight's status to the background until Trade Ya!, and season five was really the first time DHX took advantage of her character growth through her status. None of EQG's films have done anything to be a good spinoff. Fighting back a bad argument doesn't equate resisting a change; you're hurting your own argument by encircling the fallacy like a vulture.

One big problem with content like Flurry Heart, besides the baby design and what she can do, is the implication with Cadance and Shining Armor. They're objectively flat characters, and their romance is bogged by telling the audience than showing; when Slice of Life does a better job executing their romance in a few short seconds than all of ACW, something's wrong with ACW's script. We don't know anything about Flurry Heart other than being PC and SA's daughter with a Dumbo reference. If she gets screentime without sacrificing her parents' secondary status, great. But if PC and SA's status gets confined more and more into the background and/or at least one of the mane characters becomes flanderized or out of character, then FH feels less like an inclusion and more addition by subtraction at best and desperation at worst.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Those giant wings look to me like some kind of birth defect. (They look huge, even for alicorns.)

Maybe Flurry has them because Candance wasn't born as an alicorn and when she got turned into one her genetics got a little bit mixed up.

The other characters were also pretty shocked after they saw them.'-'

Edited by Fluidty

You're using a strawman (and, Key, you're using a stereotype). It's not about the change itself, but the quality and/or execution of the change.

Sigh. Not every statement is a "strawman" argument. Go back and read my post. I stated a simple observation. I did not argue for or against anything. There actually were people very upset and some were openly stating that they were leaving the fandom because Twilight had wings.

http://obsessionismagic.blogspot.com/2013/05/looking-back-and-moving-on-magical.html

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:KillRoy231/Reaction_to_Alicorn_Twilight