Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro's Officially selling to all demographics now

Buck Testa

1455328269804.png

1455330918136.jpg

Hot off the presses from hasbro its official that My Little pony is targeted at all ages and genders now. Honestly I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner, but I guess they've finally took to heart that they have a lot more people consuming their products than little girls. I wonder how this might affect the show? Hopefully it will affect their marketing and toy lines, cause some of their stuff (especially the EQG dolls) are straight up nightmare inducing and not in the fun way. 

What are your thoughts on this move by the great and powerful Hasbro? Do you think Season six will be affected by this? Is this a "good" or a "bad" thing? 

• Brohoof 20

So Millennials aren't adults, then?

XDDDDD That made me laugh more than it should. I'm just imagining Tumblr twisting itself in a knot over something like that  :P

I'm sure it all sounded swell in dandy in the board meeting, I doubt they were implying that "Millennials aren't adults" 

• Brohoof 3

It's a surprise to hear Hasbro introducing this concept with selling to every demographic. I'm not sure if season six will be affected or not, but just by looking at all the new items and features, I would say this is a good thing.

• Brohoof 2

I'm looking forward to a 18 Plus My Little Pony spin off show!

They get their ideas from fan fiction. XD

But seriously, the show could become better. They can throw some more adult references.

Edited by Bendy
  • Brohoof 3

Other toy companies and society, take osme notes here. Hasbro is doing something that could be ground-breaking and for the better of society as a whole. This entire 'age specific/gender specific' thing needs to end when it comes to certain things and this is a move into that direction, I hope. 

I also notice a young boy with ponies in the top left. That, is a win. 

• Brohoof 6

This is the third time I've seen someone make a topic about this. xD

Everyone's making a big deal out of this all-inclusive marketing strategy from Hasbro.  As if boys couldn't play with "girls' toys" before, and the shackles of toy-related gender roles have finally been cast off.  Timmy, it's now acceptable for you to dress that Barbie doll and have her hang out with her friends at the mall!

I think the value of advertisement has been greatly exaggerated here.  Did I buy essentially the same Rainbow Dash brushable four times because my demographic was being expertly targeted?  Was it because of that one awesome commercial I saw?  No.  Is marketing what has - until recently - been portrayed exclusively as a "girls' toy line" to boys as simple as airing commercials where a male is seen playing with ponies?  No.  That noisy plastic gun will still be the likelier gift choice for a young boy, because that young boy's parents will buy it for him.

World's not going to change because of this.  And the only thing I don't see up there is an adult male.  That means Hasbro's acknowledging that it's still weird for men to buy these toys for themselves; despite the fact that I'm already doing just that. xD  I'm buying your damned product, Hasbro.  How come I'm not up there? xDD

• Brohoof 5

Well I'll be damned. I never expected to see boys in an MLP ad.

Now they just need to include a big, hairy man somewhere in there.

EDIT:

Actually wasn't MLP originally supposed to be aimed at both girls and boys? Or did I make that up?

Edited by Detritus

Hasbro is doing something that could be ground-breaking and for the better of society as a whole. This entire 'age specific/gender specific' thing needs to end when it comes to certain things and this is a move into that direction, I hope. 

I also notice a young boy with ponies in the top left. That, is a win. 

And Hasbro does it in a good way, by not showing the male audience as stereotype gay boys like Mattel did.

But we should all thank Faust for expanding the audience. I'm really sure she also kept the male audience in mind when creating the show B).

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 1

I'm glad to see Hasbro's expanding the brand more than just merely including different demographics in the advertisements. They were always aware of and capitalized on the diverse fanbase this whole property has, and I'm glad to see them continuing to do it. Some of these new toylines include products this fandom has been requesting for years, and I'm sure it definitely will pay out for them.

• Brohoof 4

World's not going to change because of this.  And the only thing I don't see up there is an adult male. 

I noticed that too. It seems that they are not targeting males beyond the age of 12. Everything beyond that apparently they are only targeting women. Shame, but some progress is better than none. 

I noticed that too. It seems that they are not targeting males beyond the age of 12. Everything beyond that apparently they are only targeting women. Shame, but some progress is better than none. 

It doesn't say "Adult women" It says "Adults"

just saying 

• Brohoof 2

It doesn't say "Adult women" It says "Adults"

just saying 

I'm just pointing out that everything beyond "boys" is all female still. They're still a bit reluctant to admit they are going to market to older males.

I'm just pointing out that everything beyond "boys" is all female still. They're still a bit reluctant to admit they are going to market to older males.

And I'm pointing out that if they wanted to sweep male bronies under the rug they would of used a term like "Women" not "adults"

Do you NEED a male picture in the Adults column? Is it so terrible that there isn't a male picture in the adults column?

And I'm pointing out that if they wanted to sweep male bronies under the rug they would of used a term like "Women" not "adults"

Do you NEED a male picture in the Adults column? Is it so terrible that there isn't a male picture in the adults column?

There isn't a male picture beyond the little boy. My point is that it appears as though they're still shying away from older males. They say "adult" but the only represent women in anything older than little kids. I mean don't tell me you don't find it as odd? This is just a clever way to advertise to adults but not have to include bronies so if anyone criticizes them for trying to sell to those "creepy and weird bronies" like a lot of idiots think they are Hasbro can backpedal and go "Oh no, we never said we were trying to market to them."

There isn't a male picture beyond the little boy. My point is that it appears as though they're still shying away from older males. They say "adult" but the only represent women in anything older than little kids. I mean don't tell me you don't find it as odd? This is just a clever way to advertise to adults but not have to include bronies so if anyone criticizes them for trying to sell to those "creepy and weird bronies" like a lot of idiots think they are Hasbro can backpedal and go "Oh no, we never said we were trying to market to them."

What I find odd is the need for a pictorial representation of a guy in a new ad before it can be said that they are heading in an interesting direction. This thought didn't even cross my mind when I saw this and I'm a guy as well. This is violently reminding me of back when people were griping about Mario maker being racist cause it had a white hand on the box. Are women not allowed to represent adults or what? 

What I find odd is the need for a pictorial representation of a guy in a new ad before it can be said that they are heading in an interesting direction. This thought didn't even cross my mind when I saw this and I'm a guy as well. This is violently reminding me of back when people were griping about Mario maker being racist cause it had a white hand on the box. Are women not allowed to represent adults or what? 

It's just an observation. I mean I could totally be wrong and I am accepting that, but can you not agree that I made a very correct observation: there are no males beyond the little boy and I find that sort of odd considering when most people think of "adult" fans they think of bronies which are predominately male. I just find it odd and I am questioning why, is that not permitted? I just find it very odd considering Hasbro is well aware of the brony fanbase and putting them in an ad like this would basically be easy support from them, would you not agree? It's a no-brainer in terms of profit. I am just curious as to why they did not take the easy and obvious route.