Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Fitness advice! :D

City Bread

This topic is for those curious about fitness/diet, and want to ask me questions based on such. 

Now I'm no certified trainer/dietitian, but I know my way around much of what and what not to do when it comes to fitness. 

Just hit me up with some questions, and I'll be sure to reply! And it doesn't have to strictly be questions, discussions are more than welcomed too. 

post-37507-0-85633000-1456078459_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

It is said that the first 30 minutes of post workout is the body's peak absorption period, which is the time when I usually treat myself with a nice stick of protein bar.

Is this true though, that your body's absorption ability reaches its peak right after a workout session?

I've been told that the white bread in America is filled with tonnes of sugar, like 6 grams per slice.

Is that true? :o

Not sure, I am not american - but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, haha

White bread is just trash overall  :D

It is said that the first 30 minutes of post workout is the body's peak absorption period, which is the time when I usually treat myself with a nice stick of protein bar.

Is this true though, that your body's absorption ability reaches its peak right after a workout session?

That's a common question.

Tonnes of people say that you should take protein 30-45 minutes after a workout, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Muscle protein synthesis is a process that takes 24-48 hours to complete, so theoretically, if you take protein within this time, you will grow.

I'm not sure though, but I still try to eat as soon after a workout as possible just so I have some amount of energy. :P

Not sure, I am not american - but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, haha

White bread is just trash overall  :D

True, but at least it tastes good!

Whole grain bread though, that's much better.

• Brohoof 1

That's a common question.

Tonnes of people say that you should take protein 30-45 minutes after a workout, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Muscle protein synthesis is a process that takes 24-48 hours to complete, so theoretically, if you take protein within this time, you will grow.

I'm not sure though, but I still try to eat as soon after a workout as possible just so I have some amount of energy. :P

True, but at least it tastes good!

Whole grain bread though, that's much better.

It's just good overall to have a lot of carbs before a workout, and skip the protein bars and all that stuff - it's not good for you

I've been told that the white bread in America is filled with tonnes of sugar, like 6 grams per slice. Is that true? :o
I am American and according to the bread in my pantry (it is wonder bread BTW) it has 5 grams of sugar per two slices.

It's just good overall to have a lot of carbs before a workout, and skip the protein bars and all that stuff - it's not good for you

Meh, there's worse 'fitness' goods out there than protein bars.

But if I were to choose between protein shakes and bars, I'd definitely go for shakes, since there's more HBV protein present in them and it digests faster since it's just a liquid, so your body absorbs it within minutes. 

I am American and according to the bread in my pantry (it is wonder bread BTW) it has 5 grams of sugar per two slices.

I guess it depends on the brand. :o

Meh, there's worse 'fitness' goods out there than protein bars.

But if I were to choose between protein shakes and bars, I'd definitely go for shakes, since there's more HBV protein present in them and it digests faster since it's just a liquid, so your body absorbs it within minutes. 

I guess it depends on the brand. :o

Any supplement is a waste of money imo, just go the natural way and have some nuts with you (unsalted) - that's plenty of protein.

Or if you really wanna go hardcore, buy some canned tuna and eat it dry  :twi: - pure protein

Any supplement is a waste of money imo, just go the natural way and have some nuts with you (unsalted) - that's plenty of protein.

Or if you really wanna go hardcore, buy some canned tuna and eat it dry  :twi: - pure protein

I wouldn't consider supplements a waste of money, they have many uses.

Like, a protein shake can replace an entire meal, and because it's in liquid form, it can quickly and easily be consumed. I wouldn't take supplements if my diet consisted highly in junkfood and sugary crap. Like...they're called supplements for a reason, they help you reach your daily macronutrient intake :)

I wouldn't consider supplements a waste of money, they have many uses.

Like, a protein shake can replace an entire meal, and because it's in liquid form, it can quickly and easily be consumed. I wouldn't take supplements if my diet consisted highly in junkfood and sugary crap. Like...they're called supplements for a reason, they help you reach your daily macronutrient intake :)

In my experience, you just shouldn't base all your protein intake around a shake - there's some people who go complete overboard and eat like 5 protein bars before or after a workout - protein bars and shakes still include ingredients that you shouldnt get too much of (which can be said for a lot of things)  -_-

In my experience, you just shouldn't base all your protein intake around a shake - there's some people who go complete overboard and eat like 5 protein bars before or after a workout - protein bars and shakes still include ingredients that you shouldnt get too much of (which can be said for a lot of things)  -_-

That's crazy :o

There's people out there that take ~4-5 scoops of protein a day. But if you're taking that much just to see results, then you mustn't be eating enough, or even properly. 

That's crazy :o

There's people out there that take ~4-5 scoops of protein a day. But if you're taking that much just to see results, then you mustn't be eating enough, or even properly. 

Just go the cave man style diet and you should see results pretty fast, haha

(and weight train, of course)

Just go the cave man style diet and you should see results pretty fast, haha

(and weight train, of course)

Definitely.

But yeah, there's no point eating in a caloric surplus (oops) without actually going to the gym, you'll just get fat. 

One (bulking) doesn't work without the other (Training).

Edited by City Bread

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told that the white bread in America is filled with tonnes of sugar, like 6 grams per slice.

Is that true? :o

White bread in general is very bad for you. While it's delicious, it lacks important nutrients that other types of bread offers.

@City Bread's assumption is right. It's bogus, any professional bodybuilder will tell you. What matters is how much you take every day, it's known as "macronutrients" or the optimal amount of carbs, protein and fats you should take a day to achieve your goal. The only important thing is that you eat enough an hour before your workout, refill your energy after your workout and get the rest of your macronutrients whenever you want throughout the day. Just be sure to keep the amount of calories low enough to burn fat if that's your goal. If you're working out to gain muscles there's 4 things to take care of: your macronutrients intake, your calorie-intake, doing the correct exercises and switching them up every 4 weeks.

Whoever thought of the absorption ability thing doesn't understand how the sympathetic nervous system works, at all. And who thought it was a good idea to scarf down an entire chicken anyway?

Edited by Winterbass
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a bit of a fitness nut , though I'm likely far from your level. I have a few questions that I'm interested in knowing your opinion over, 

What do you consider the best whey protein mix and why?

Secondly, What are your thoughts on creatine?

Lastly, where do you stand on Vit vs Hit? why? 

Well carbs are very important if you want to gain muscle. Complex carbs, that is :)

Carbs are more for energy, protein and fat are the real muscle builders.

Edited by Xylosian

Carbs are more for energy, protein and fat are the real muscle builders.

I'd certainly want to carb up before doing high intensity training for optimal muscle growth, as carbohydrates are the preferred dource of energy for your body.

How do you stay motivated?

I find it hard to stay motivated and haven't gone to a gym in a long time.

Find a reason (or several) why you're getting/staying fit that's going to motivate you. Maybe it's something big being able to hike all day in the mountains or swim for hours in the sea. Or it could be as simple as having the strength and energy to trounce day-to-day life. Find a reason to get started and keep with it until it becomes a habit.

As an aside, you don't need to go to a gym to get fit. There's a plethora of exercises you can do with a minimum amount of equipment.