Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why must americans(Not meaning to generalize) generalize race with voices

Sofen

Because thats a myth and it isnt true. British people is a proof of that.

So i don't get why they have to create this label on dumb stuff that race = voice type. Its untrue and i think it really needs to go away :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Sofen

Do you live in America? Certain regions have different dialects, and as a general rule, ethnic groups tend to have their own tweak of that dialect within said region. It's more of a reflection of fact than a myth. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Do you live in America? Certain regions have different dialects, and as a general rule, ethnic groups tend to have their own tweak of that dialect within said region. It's more of a reflection of fact than a myth. 

Yes. Thats true. Dialects is one thing. If i grew up in Africa or whatever, i don't think i would speak less African than people who are there. The problem i have is people think that race biologically = fact on voices, which is pure nonsense. I would rather prefer definitions like African American slang or dialect, or American English. Just to clarify it in terms of dignity.

Edit: Or to be more presise. Race have absolutely nothing with how you pronounce words, historically ethnically in terms of where language is from, thats one thing but it has nothing to do with race in terms of biology on wordings, its cultures and how language was invented as a way of communicating. That comes from your upbringing, thats what it is.

What i detest is when people go around and say. You sound like that race. NO! its a myth :diamondtiara:

Edited by Sofen
  • Brohoof 1

From my perspective, I love the variation of dialects and accents, and do not view them to be bad in any way. To me, it's part of what makes America great. Of course you'll have racists condemn the "African American slang" as being beneath them. It's a two way street as well, I once taught a class that consisted entirely African American students, and one of the kids was incessantly bullied by his classmates for "sounding too white." Sadly, this was a 2nd grade classroom!

• Brohoof 1

From my perspective, I love the variation of dialects and accents, and do not view them to be bad in any way. To me, it's part of what makes America great. Of course you'll have racists condemn the "African American slang" as being beneath them. It's a two way street as well, I once taught a class that consisted entirely African American students, and one of the kids was incessantly bullied by his classmates for "sounding too white." Sadly, this was a 2nd grade classroom!

Yes. But i dislike that race = biological fact of wordings, its that which i react to, not history or people taking it in usage.

But the fact that different languages exists or variation is pretty cool. Like Jamaican english for example  :)

• Brohoof 1

Yes. But i dislike that race = biological fact of wordings, its that which i react to, not history or people taking it in usage.

Oh yes, quite. As if your biology dictates how you speak. That's annoying. How do they explain why white Americans sound different than white Europeans then? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh yes, quite. As if your biology dictates how you speak. That's annoying. How do they explain why white Americans sound different than white Europeans then? 

Or Australian English and Scottish. Good point :)

Edit:

See if you spot differences :)

Also if we were to use the typical stereotype of low voice = that. Then Hannah Montana sounds black by that definition. Now i hate using those words but i just had to pick one example. So its more or less a myth in a society that is labeled for some reason.

Edited by Sofen
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...