Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g3/core 7 Why do so many people hate generation 3?

chaosprincess

Generation 3 is just okay in my opinion, its a children cartoon for little girls, all of the gender stereotypes for that time period are included. Nobody wants to talk about generation 3.5 because here were it all went downhill before Faust saved a sinking ship.

Generation 1 was good (probably even more hardcore then gen 4 ever was)

Generation 1.5-2 nobody wants to talk about that and people pretend it doesn't exist

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

On 4/24/2018 at 5:35 PM, R.D.Dash said:

Generation 3 is just okay in my opinion, its a children cartoon for little girls, all of the gender stereotypes for that time period are included. Nobody wants to talk about generation 3.5 because here were it all went downhill before Faust saved a sinking ship.

Generation 1 was good (probably even more hardcore then gen 4 ever was)

Generation 1.5-2 nobody wants to talk about that and people pretend it doesn't exist

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the 1.5-2??? Generation 2 didn't have a cartoon, just to clear up the confusion, I have no clue what 1.5 is.

For your history lesson

G1 1981-1995 (this includes MLP Tales; which I'm gonna make an assumption you are incorrectly calling this 1.5-2)

G2 1997-2003

G3 2003-2010 (this includes what people refer to as 3.5)

G4 2010-present

5 minutes ago, KarentheUnicorn said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the 1.5-2??? Generation 2 didn't have a cartoon, just to clear up the confusion, I have no clue what 1.5 is.

For your history lesson

G1 1981-1995 (this includes MLP Tales; which I'm gonna make an assumption you are incorrectly calling this 1.5-2)

G2 1997-2003

G3 2003-2010 (this includes what people refer to as 3.5)

G4 2010-present

Thanks, but like I said as far as everyone is concerned G2 doesn't exist

I like Gen 1&2 just fine. But Gen 3 is way too generic. It's writing is really weak and I often wonder why they put in all the work it takes to animate it when the script sounds like a first draft. I love shows made for little girls and young audiences in general, but this one is so devoid of any substance it seems to suck all the light and sound from the air as I watch it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ain't a fan of Gen 3 myself, without hating it though (hate is such a strong and misused word nowadays). It just appears as tasteless to me but I can't complain about it to be fair. Complaining about Gen 3 is honestly like telling how much a blank paper is "so blank"

However, I have to give some things to the Gen 3. As an example, I do prefer the design of the G3 Breezies over the G4 ones. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Partially because Newborn Cuties was an affront to animation and life itself and all of G3 is judged guilty by association, and partially because hating on the prior gens makes you seem more masculine and sophisticated. 

To everyone with an actual opinion? It was saccharine fluff. Idyllic filler lacking substance, conflict or intrigue. Copy and paste characters with only hints of personality. It wouldn't favor well compared to G1, let alone G4. 

But the generation and a half is a bit overhated (excluding Newborn cuties).

The animation is still solid. The backgrounds are very detailed. The score is pleasant to listen to. The voice cast isn't phoning it in, and actually shares some common VAs with G4. And overall the series is inoffensive and aesthetically pleasing. A chill escape from ones day.

G3 and 3.5 were never meant to be judged on their own, but as companion pieces to the toys (which are superior to the G4 ones in that regard). The show gives a few ideas on how the characters should be, but leaves the rest to be filled in by those playing with the toys. 

But hey, still better than G1.5 a.k.a. MLP Tales. Poor voice acting. Poor animation. Actively opposes having a fantasy setting and even teaches detrimental morals. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 4

• 7 months later...

I could easily see why people don’t like it-it isn’t made with quality in mind and focuses more on marketing than being a nice TV show- but I tend to like it since the ponies are usually pretty cute and they manage to get along pretty well, something real people need to do more often.

• Brohoof 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, people hate Generation 3 because, if you look closer into it, it was all for little girls. I absolutely loved G3 as a kid. Minty was my favorite too. But, the only contents were toys and movies, no storyline, no episodes. a 3.5 Christmas special about a pony wishing for Pink snow, a live action tea party special, it was made fun of for being for little girls. Like the way Caillou became a meme because people think it's annoying.

I personally like G3, but some Bronies don't because the haters of the series think that Friendship is Magic follows the same type. Bronies would be afraid that they would have others thinking that they watch a show about technicolor glitter horses and love it. The haters would also think that G1 is also like that, but G3 was just made for little girls.

On the other hoof, it might be only because of just two words: Newborn. Cuties. 

baby scootaloo meeting Scootaloo G4 would be the most amazing crossover just wow. It wouldn't be creepy at all.

• Brohoof 1

Well it is made strictly for female children from ages 1-5 in mind. So it’s not that interesting.

Also, IMO this generation 3 MLP was not written by people, but by aliens (mostly grey) masquerading as people to mind control unsuspecting female toddler children to do their bidding because the whole show looks horrifying. Have you seen the ponies of Gen 3 and 3.5? I have seen some clips of both of these shows because I hate myself so much. They look as if they went on a diet so hard they’re suffering from malnutrition. Also, the eyes. They are fitting for being horrifyingly soul-staring.

The whole thing seems like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I actually like gen 3/3.5! It's gotten so much hate from the community for seemingly no reason. If you think the characters look ugly it's up to you, but I don't believe that's a reason to detest the entire show!

Personally, I think the designs are cute. Are the plots simple? Mostly yes, but as a lot of people have said, that's because of the target audience.

To me a lot of the songs are good, such as Thing a Ma Do, and Somewhere Super Super New is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

It's perfectly ok if you don't like G3. Just remember that some people have different opinions on things! 

Edited by TheNewBrony
  • Brohoof 4

On 5/21/2018 at 12:38 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

But hey, still better than G1.5 a.k.a. MLP Tales. Poor voice acting. Poor animation. Actively opposes having a fantasy setting and even teaches detrimental morals. 

WHY MUST YOU REMIND ME OF TALES?!

;-; 

On 7/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, GlimGlam said:

Because its for little girls.

So is all of MLP... Including G4.

I don't hate Gen3 per se. I just never found it appealing. And I guess it came out in my early teens so my interests shifted a bit (emo phase lol) and I never saw a reason to be interested in a franchise for little kids and  I focused more on teen media at that time ^^'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, Osoka_Topez said:

I guess bronies don't like it that there is only one boy character in the generation. 

Or maybe they hear everyone saying bad stuff about it and don't bother giving it a chance. 

Meh its kinda so childish and giggly tho. Weirdly I think I like it more now tho then as a kid haha. It's alright. I wish they made gen2 cartoon tho that was the gen I grew up with as a kid.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:08 PM, RDDash said:

Thanks, but like I said as far as everyone is concerned G2 doesn't exist

Gen2 is my fav gen tho (after gen4 ofc) I love the style of the characters. There is a game apparently where u can see how the characters looked as a cartoon.

Edited by flurry

2 hours ago, TheNewBrony said:

Or maybe they hear everyone saying bad stuff about it and don't bother giving it a chance. 

True. Like who can not like Minty. She has a wonderful personality and RD and Pinkie. I also like Ribbon Wishes and Sweet Berry!

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Osoka_Topez said:

True. Like who can not like Minty. She has a wonderful personality and RD and Pinkie. I also like Ribbon Wishes and Sweet Berry!

Minty's my favorite G3. I also like Starsong and Toola Roola. 

Also, would you be interested in helping revive this fan club I found earlier today? 

There was an animation that was unbearable to watch, absolutely unbearable. Bronies assumed after watching it, that it was how MLP used to be before FIM.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TheNewBrony said:

Minty's my favorite G3. I also like Starsong and Toola Roola. 

Also, would you be interested in helping revive this fan club I found earlier today? 

I forgot about Star Song. I always thought she was pretty. Also l liked that pegasus who is white and has the pink and blue colors in her mane. What was her name again?

Edited by Osoka_Topez