Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your general thoughts about Starlight Glimmer now in the clique for S6?

pony.colin

(lol, I need to make smaller titles)

Kind of was wanting to just poll and get some thoughts about Starlight Glimmer and her now being part of the mane cast (for at least this foreseeable season 6 as far as I know).  

I vaguely recall I had my reservations for the ending of season 5 and (that I wanted a good backstory for Starlight Glimmer's character overall and she was to me, at least one of the most interest antagonists to be brought in at the time of S5).  From my general position, I've been feeling the 'Heel–Face Turns' that they've been doing for some of their antagonists has been  terribly rushed as of recent seasons, so I sort of just swallowed and accepted that (the EG films committing probably the worst of the fastest heel-face turns ever).

But thinking about it, I feel this was actually a very smart and calculated move on Twilight's part (at the end of S5) to offer Starlight Glimmer the bridge of trust and to have her join the mane cast for this current season 6 (from thinking about it in a "in-universe" standpoint).  Thoughts on things overall and going forward?

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

She will be boring. What role does she feel? We already got our down to earth country gal, fast flying boasting tomboy, fancy dancy don't-get-my-hooves dirty fashionista, book kissing nerd, completely random party pony, shy soft spoken pet loving pony... I just don't feel Glimmer at all. What is she supposed to be, Vegeta?

At least Vegeta was an interesting character.

I actually quite like them adding her to the mane cast. From the one episode we've seen, I think they did a good job of, while showing that she has changed, she is still the same pony, having little outbursts of anger and being a bit manipulative (manipulating Spike into stalling by getting him to tell the story of him saving the Crystal Empire.) Of course, we will need to see her interact with the rest of the mane cast, other than Twilight, to see how she fits in with them, but I'm optimistic that it will work well.

Im thinking Twilight will pull a Optimus Prime and leave while Starlight will become the next leader

Let's just hope that if this happens, Twilight doesn't die and turn grey, traumatizing kids (and bronies) everywhere. :P Because that worked so well the last time Hasbro did that.

Edited by NeonCobalt

@@pony.colin

Just letting you know that I edited the topic of the title to better suit your point, and so that it would better respond to the forum search system and Google search. :)

• Brohoof 3

Well, she was an interesting villain, but her reform felt rushed and lame (I've expected something more traumatizing like being bullied or rejected for cutie mark related reasons), but so far, I think she's a good addition to the main cast so far

So far, from just the premiere at least I've liked her addition to the cast. I think she'll fit in fine, though I hope they continue developing her friendship with Spike in particular, it's nice to finally see him get someone to hang out with in episodes. I also hope she keeps a bit of that manipulative nature too, she showed a few signs of it remaining in the season 6 premiere, and I think it would be both a great strength and a good flaw for her to keep going forward.

Edited by BasementLuna
  • Brohoof 3

She has a great interaction with Spike and I like her as a tool to develop Twilight's character. But her reformation was awful and while the premiere did help a little, I am not fully on board wit her character. Plus I really really do not believe that Starlight deserves to be part of the mane 6.

• Brohoof 1

Although my initial, vitriolic post series 5 - pre season 6 hatred of her has abated slightly, I am still far from sold on the whole idea of Starlight Shimmer as a main character.  The next episode could make or break her from my point of view.

A lot of my reservation stems from a very long history of new characters failing to integrate well into an established ensemble (at least in programs that I have watched) and I just don't personally feel that there was a Starlight Shimmer shaped hole in the cast for her to fit into.  Maybe the next episode will change my mind, just have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 1

Although my initial, vitriolic post series 5 - pre season 6 hatred of her has abated slightly, I am still far from sold on the whole idea of Starlight Shimmer as a main character.  The next episode could make or break her from my point of view.

A lot of my reservation stems from a very long history of new characters failing to integrate well into an established ensemble (at least in programs that I have watched) and I just don't personally feel that there was a Starlight Shimmer shaped hole in the cast for her to fit into.  Maybe the next episode will change my mind, just have to wait and see.

A bit of a Freudian slip there, huh? :P

I'm really liking what they're trying to do with Starlight, and honestly the more I consider the more I consider her different from Sunset Shimmer; though I may save that for another topic.

Really, where Sunset technically had to fend for herself with help from the HuMane 5, Starlight is being given direct guidance by the Princess of Friendship herself, and I think this can lead to a very interesting dynamic. That said while her redemption wasn't the best, it was largely made up for in the premiere and it shows she has a lot of potential. :)

• Brohoof 1

As of right now, I'm under the impression that Starlight's inclusion into the cast offers the mane five absolutely nothing.

Twilight is given a student, and thus receives more room to develop and grow. But I can't help but wonder how much involvement the mane five will have in Starlight's arc, since after all, she's Twilight's student and not theirs. Hell, we haven't even been able to properly gauge their dynamic with her, which I would think would be important for the writers to do, especially since we are expected to believe that the mane five actually trust Starlight now. 

But if their involvement is minimal, then what exactly does Starlight offer them? Another character to play second fiddle to and steal their focus and spotlight away? 

Anyway, this is how I feel as of now. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 1

As of right now, I'm under the impression that Starlight's inclusion into the cast offers the mane five absolutely nothing.

Twilight is given a student, and thus receives more room to develop and grow. But I can't help but wonder how much involvement the mane five will have in Starlight's arc, since after all, she's Twilight's student and not theirs. Hell, we haven't even been able to properly gauge their dynamic with her, which I would think would be important for the writers to do, especially since we are expected to believe that the mane five actually trust Starlight now. 

But if their involvement is minimal, then what exactly does Starlight offer them? Another character to play second fiddle to and steal their focus and spotlight away? 

Anyway, this is how I feel as of now.

The Mane Six trust her, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're on the best of terms with her. We've seen that Twilight considers her a friend, and that's it.

She's been keeping her distance from the Mane Six and sticking close with the member she's known the most. Heck, I'm the finale none of the other members even interacted with her (unless you count the song, but I have my own 2 cents on that for another day).

Plus, Twilight is the one who directly gave her a chance and considered her to change her ways. Twilight is Starlight's biggest influence and motivator as of now. I prefer this way rather than having them force Starlight onto the others' own stories. I mean, with Fluttershy's brother coming sometime this season that's a source of development by its own right.

I also feel this way because of Spike's line in the premiere, "Well Twilight obviously thinks you're worth being friends with, and I do too." Are we forgetting the other mane five? Or are Twilight and Spike the only ones who've made an effort with Starlight and had Starlight return the courtesy?

I've no doubt in my mind that we'll get Starlight interaction with the others, but for now I can see why they're building up her relationship with Twilight specifically.

• Brohoof 1

As a villain, i thought she was meh, her village of equality was interesting and the idea of somepony being able to remove the cutie marks of others was very cool, but it's her backstory that hold me back to declare her one of my favourite villains of the show.

I feel that her 'Heel–Face Turn' was very rushed but i still think that it was better than of Sunset Shimmer.

As for her addition to the mane cast, i like it so far, she certainly was the most interesting part in the premiere and i am very excited for the next episode.

As a villain, i thought she was meh, her village of equality was interesting and the idea of somepony being able to remove the cutie marks of others was very cool, but it's her backstory that hold me back to declare her one of my favourite villains of the show.

I feel that her 'Heel–Face Turn' was very rushed but i still think that it was better than of Sunset Shimmer.

As for her addition to the mane cast, i like it so far, she certainly was the most interesting part in the premiere and i am very excited for the next episode.

I completely agree with this. That's the main point I try to drive home whenever I'm discussing why I think Starlight is a much better character than Sunset. Yes, Sunset was the original in a sense, but that doesn't make her better. I also believe that Starlight's redemption was rushed, but that didn't completely prevent her arc from being saved to me. And they're making it work so far.

Sunset:

-Main motivation: Angry about not learning as much as she could extremely quickly, she gained a desire for power.

-Goal: Rule the school and use Twilight's crown to reenter Equestria and take it over.

-Redemption: Was defeated by Twilight and her friends in the human world, offered a chance to do good instead of evil.

-Repercussions: None 

Starlight:

-Main motivation: After being abandoned by her best friend once he got his Cutie Mark, Starlight became extremely bitter and formed an equalist philosophy.

-Goal: Get rid of Cutie Marks so that nobody could be superior to anybody else; get revenge on Twilight by reshaping the timeline.

-Redemption: Had the upper-hand, but accepted Twilight's offer of friendship and is now her student.

Repercussions: None

Alright, we both know that the two of them pretty much got off scot-free, so that's a noticeable flaw that they both share, but as for the others..

Many people are upset with Starlight's "lame motivation," but what about Sunset? At least the writers tried with Starlight. They gave her a backstory, and they gave her a reason for being a villain besides a cliche desire for power. Sunset was driven by extreme emotions of anger, Starlight was driven by anger, but she was also driven by a sense of idealism.

Between the two of them, Starlight certainly has the better excuse for why she became evil (that doesn't necessarily justify it 100%, but it is the better of the two for sure).

Sunset did what she did for the sake of herself and what she wanted. Starlight truly believed her philosophy that everybody should be equal. In her mind, that's what would have been best for everybody. In that regard, she's a more interesting villain than Sunset Shimmer. What did Sunset really do or have in store that was interesting beyond the typical school bully archetype?

Finally, I believe Sunset's redemption was far worse. The second she was defeated she was offered friendship by Twilight and the others. And there had been nothing that indicated she had any positive traits prior. She was manipulative, controlling, rude, and overall unpleasant. Unlike Starlight, she never showed promise as a redemptionee until her redemption was already over,

Meanwhile, Starlight was completely in an advantageous situation. Twilight knew she couldn't beat her, and Starlight was literally seconds from completing her plan. Yes, Twilight talked her out of it, but that was a two-way street. Starlight could have just as easily finished tearing up the spell as she did accept Twilight's friendship. I don't believe it would have been the same way with Sunset. Sunset seemed to go for her goal no matter what, and never once listened to reason. And if she would have accepted, there is literally no backstory to suggest that there was something Twilight could have said to change her mind. 

Starlight was completely in control of the situation, and gave up her desire for complete equality and revenge for friendship. We even know she expected a punishment, which could have been imprisonment or possibly even worse. She was prepared to be punished, taking the chance of friendship instead of a world where everything turned out in her favor and she would have been free of consequences. If anything, we should be angrier at Twilight for giving her some leeway, not Starlight. But even then, Twilight had good reason to extend a hoof. The most obvious being that if she tried anything else, she couldn't have stopped Starlight. Starlight was clearly superior in magical ability, but Twilight had the best magic of all, the magic of friendship.

This is just my reasoning, though. I'm not trying to force my opinion down anyone's throat. You're all free to prefer whomever you like. :3

• Brohoof 3

Sunset did what she did for the sake of herself and what she wanted. Starlight truly believed her philosophy that everypony should be equal. In her mind, that's what would have been best for everypony. In that regard, she's a more interesting villain than Sunset Shimmer. What did Sunset really do or have in store that was interesting beyond the typical school bully archetype?

Agree, between Sunset and Starlight, Sunset was a far worse villain than Starlight.

I find reformed Glimmer ridiculously boring and a chore to watch. She was so much more interested as a villain well in The Cutie Map anyways.

Her redemption honestly feels like they're trying to recapture Shimmers success but completely failing to understand why that worked the way it did.

As it stands now the way they're treating Glimmer after her reformation is almost kinda disgusting.

Edited by Stasis

Starlight as an addition to the main cast and under Twilight's tutelage, she may have been a slight downgrade from her villain role last season for now but I think with a little more time she will prove that there is a good learning/teaching experience in the making with Twilight.

Starlight as an addition to the main cast and under Twilight's tutelage, she may have been a slight downgrade from her villain role last season for now but I think with a little more time she will prove that there is a good learning/teaching experience in the making with Twilight.

My problem with Twilight is she'll learn a lesson and then immediately forget it. It's reaching Fluttershy levels of repetition. I mean, in the Hooffields and McColts episode revolved around the fact that there's no text-written formula or format for solving a friendship problem.. and how does she try and teach Starlight friendship? Lists galore. I get it, she's a straightforward intelligent character who thinks every solution lies in books, but they're really wearing that part of her out.

The whole "I'm bored" and "I'm a princess but it's not what I thought it'd be" pity party she keeps throwing for herself gets annoying as well.

Twilight is still probably one of my favorite characters, but I do not enjoy these recent developments for her.

My problem with Twilight is she'll learn a lesson and then immediately forget it. It's reaching Fluttershy levels of repetition. I mean, in the Hooffields and McColts episode revolved around the fact that there's no text-written formula or format for solving a friendship problem.. and how does she try and teach Starlight friendship? Lists galore. I get it, she's a straightforward intelligent character who thinks every solution lies in books, but they're really wearing that part of her out.

The whole "I'm bored" and "I'm a princess but it's not what I thought it'd be" pity party she keeps throwing for herself gets annoying as well.

Twilight is still probably one of my favorite characters, but I do not enjoy these recent developments for her.

Maybe Twilight should learn when to move on from the lists and books fiasco.

I don't think there's enough evidence yet for me to state my opinion just yet. I'll need a few more episodes to see what role she fills. 

I can kind of assume she's there because most of the Mane 6 have already learned the lessons of friendship, and they needed a fresh face to fill that void. I can also see her being there as Twilight's first official "student of friendship". An idea that I'm not totally against, but at the same time it feels a little forced to me.

We'll see, but I've liked what I've seen so far.

• Brohoof 1

She's boring. Like others have said, she fills NO role, she has seemingly no chemistry... she's basically there to give twilight another thing to do in life, she's not a character unto herself: she's an accessory to twilight. You're basically taking a parasitic twin and grafting it onto twilight so she's less stagnant as a character by giving her a student.

But you don't NEED to introduce a seventh character to give twilight students, I mean, come on, you can have her do the teacher thing easily by just having her try to tutor other ponies she runs into.

She will be boring. What role does she feel? We already got our down to earth country gal, fast flying boasting tomboy, fancy dancy don't-get-my-hooves dirty fashionista, book kissing nerd, completely random party pony, shy soft spoken pet loving pony... I just don't feel Glimmer at all. What is she supposed to be, Vegeta?

At least Vegeta was an interesting character.

the funny thing is, Trixie is the only one of twilight's Rivals that would have worked well as a vegeta type character (HUGE ego, lots of bluster, ect.). Though, Rainbow dash already kind of fills that role: If RD had some sort of rivalry with twilight she'd be the groups vegeta :P

I actually quite like them adding her to the mane cast. From the one episode we've seen, I think they did a good job of, while showing that she has changed, she is still the same pony, having little outbursts of anger and being a bit manipulative (manipulating Spike into stalling by getting him to tell the story of him saving the Crystal Empire.) Of course, we will need to see her interact with the rest of the mane cast, other than Twilight, to see how she fits in with them, but I'm optimistic that it will work well.

Let's just hope that if this happens, Twilight doesn't die and turn grey, traumatizing kids (and bronies) everywhere. :P Because that worked so well the last time Hasbro did that.

Still better than the Michael Bay Transformers movies.  And let's hope he never gets involved in the show.

That said, if they were going to use her to replace Twilight, they'd probably do it in the movie (assuming the movie will be connected to G4).  Hasbro's been pretty consistent with using cartoon tie-in movies to invoke major status quo shifts. 

And don't think this movie will be an exception, folks (that would be a fool's hope, if there ever was one).  The only reason Hasbro would ever agree to a movie is if they wanted to push a new toy, or line of toys.  And that means something in the status quo would have to change.

Edited by SBaby