Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you feel about Starlight over Sunset?

cider float

It's kinda difficult

They were both incredibly lame villains who have a incredibly rushed redemption, with lame origins stories and lame motives for being evil.

After Rainbow Rocks i did start to enjoy Sunset a bit, but she still isn't one of my favourite characters.

And while i don't like Starlight all that much, she was the main character of both A Hearth's Warming Tail and No second prances my favourite and second favourite episode of the season so far.

So, they both are in 'meh' scale for me

This naturally let her to become a villain and rule a communist town.

There's hardly anything "natural" about that. That could only be considered "natural" for someone with severe mental health disorders, and that's exactly what Starlight's true problem is. 

I find it kind of funny that people are trashing on Sunset Shimmer and yet she's by far one of the best characters to come out of the FiM franchise. Her development has been both wonderful and natural.

*shrugs*  :huh:

I think she's incredibly overrated and don't care for her much at all. Plus, she was hands down the dumbest and most nonsensical villain we've ever seen in both FiM and EG.

(edited)

I don't exactly get why people say that Sunset's reason for being evil is lame. I agree that her depiction in the first EG was weird, but why aren't you hating on Tirek, Sombra or maybe Dazzlings? Because all these villains wanted was power, and Sunset also wanted to be great and when Celestia did not want to let her be great, she ended up in EG.

Edited by TBlaze
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not certain where people got that Sunset backstory was exactly bad. While not good at least it actually made sense for her and made her somewhat interesting.

Starlight's backstory didn't even match up with her character in the S5 premiere which is hilariously bad.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sunset is probably the best character in EQG, but it doesnt say much since all the other characters in EQG are generally bad.

Starlight, as i already said in other posts, is the best thing that happend to the show.

She actually has more personality than all of the characters in the show (except MAYBE twilight).

Except Twilight, all the other mane characters are simply a stereotype with a twist.

They all have their moments of course, but most of the time their personalities and actions seem really generic and boring.

Starlight actually have different views than the rest about almost everything.

She is level-headed, makes good points that are hard to argue with and actually brings something new and mature to the show.

After so many seasons, they actually managed to create a character which is more complex and unique than any main character.

Her design, voice and expressions is just a bonus that makes her even better.

My only complaint would be how the writers try to make the viewers accept her by continuously giving her lines about "how evil she was in the past". 

It doesnt work, and even if it did its forced and untrue.

She was never really evil... almost all of her actions and views can be explained in a way that will make them understandable and acceptable for anyone who isnt completely brainwashed by society standards.

Edited by King
  • Brohoof 1

I for some reason don't normally connect Sunset shimmer and Starlight glimmer together. I never did find Sunset to be that interesting and I feel the same about Starlight as well.  I think the creators are putting her in the series too much. I get a feeling that Starlight won't be in season 7.

(edited)

I have a bunch of reasons I could explain on why Starlight right now is a stronger character than Sunset right now despite having a weaker backstory but it'd just be bashed to hell and back by the hate circlejerk for her on this site. I'll just say this, beyond "She had to WORK to make the Mane 6 like her" what was Sunset's personality in Rainbow Rocks? It's funny to see people say Starlight has no personality when I can see it pretty easily, while she's angsty about her past like Shimmer and Luna are she's far more willing to joke about it, is slightly snarky, retains a manipulative side, still has issues with her first instincts being to bend a situation to her will through magic (which she admits to). She's more like Season 1 Twilight than Sunset Shimmer really. 

But honestly her episodes (or well part of episode in the Crystalling's case since the Flurry Heart stuff kind of sucked) have basically all been the best in the season so whatever. 

Seriously? Starlight deserves nothing. The hate isn't unwarranted, she a horrible character.

Like what the heck, how could anyone like a pony that nearly killed the future and didn't care? Talk about circle jerking, people love this little sow. It's like they completely ignored what she did.

Edited by 1CJB

(edited)

I like Starlight more over Sunset, but maybe more when she was still an antagonist.

Both of these characters have fallen into structurally similar situations, really rushed ham-fisted heel-face turns of which FIM has been notoriously bad with. 

There's always a factor of time-constraint with FIM, but sometimes they really push things to the limit which makes the characters depth suffer as a result (kind of Starlight's situation).

With Sunset, I've always hated how quick her heel-face was made and was thoroughly annoyed with it.  But I could ignore it because EQG was only a side-series and could actually be over-ridden by the main show if it happens.  Sunset was an okay antagonist in the first EQG movie, and was a substantially better protagonist in the second and third films.  Which was irksome because it only further begged the question, why was she an antagonist in the first place if she is so good at understanding ethics, responsibility, humility, respect and patience ? It's like, you're a pretty good protagonist for understand all of these so quickly post-reform. I'd question if you even knew how to be an antagonist in the first place prior.  I'm also not liking how little of a backstory Sunset has that lead her to her actions in the first place. There isn't much to really go on, and it makes her character shallow with little depth.  I can't recall the 8 page comic in the annual, but I don't think it actually changed anything that we didn't already knew.  Sad, that they didn't give much in there. Actually thinking about it as @@Cleverclover, had said, she does seem more like the only main character for EQG going for it. This is a problem about how the human versions are all technically copies of their pony variant but don't really standout in any way on their own, in their own world.

Starlight was an excellent antagonist and I liked it when she was antagonist.  Her being reformed was a well calculated move on Twi's part that I respect and understand from Twi's perspective.  The thing I would've liked was for Starlight to get a more detailed backstory to her because she was a character that actually had complexities to her.  I was expecting one to be established in the finale of S5 and we did get a backstory for her, but of course, it was really tiny and limited.  FIM was pushing their time limit with all the 'alternate future' situations.  There was a lot they could've done to tease her out more, but they rushed it and so she's left with this for a backstory.  Post-reform S5 finale for Starlight, she's been, well kind of inconsistent as a character, which may or may not seem about right (it's hard to say if she's really inconsistent, since there is still complexities to her that leave it open on what state she is in currently). She still has layers to her and post-reform she still has some of the snark charm to her.  Her first appearance she was insecure, regretful and embarrassed to admit anything to Sunburst and to meet up with her old friend.  Later for 'NSP' she had displayed some of the most factious humour that this series has brought out (which was really hilarious to watch), still overstepping boundaries, semi-understanding that it was wrong, but also trying to justify things with magic.  And also feeling betrayed.

Starlight isn't a mane cast member for permanency. She's a patient in a rehab program and that's what they've been trying to do with her.  I suspect that she'll be later pushed out of main episodes once her reformation process has finished. Still need more episodes to see what they do with her later.

They've been both forced into the same situation, but are not alike with each other.  Would need to see what Sunset does in her next appearance and the still more for Starlight.

Edited by pony.colin

She was never really evil... almost all of her actions and views can be explained in a way that will make them understandable and acceptable for anyone who isnt completely brainwashed by society standards.

Umm, no, she was definitely evil by definition. She showed that she was more than willing to kill and harm others to suit herself, and we all must clearly be "brainwashed by society standards" to consider those actions to be unacceptable. They cannot be explained as anything more than her being a textbook sociopath with a startling lack of empathy for others. 

As for the rest of her views, they're clearly the mindset of someone who has a tendency to take things to an extreme, which is actually common for those with mental disorders. And her wanting revenge on Twilight clearly shows that she has no capacity for accepting responsibility, since she would have rather blamed Twilight for causing her own little utopia to crumble rather than acknowledge that there was anything wrong in forcefully brainwashing others to accept her views. 

Oh, and I also just have to say that I don't believe there's any way you could possibly justify Twilight not being a stereotype if you truly believe that the mane five are. 

I think the big problem with Starlight Glimmer was not the fact she was redeemed, but how she was redeemed. Instead of taking a gradualist approach and saving her redemption (and her backstory, for that matter) for Season 6 where it could be expanded upon and given some weight, the writers threw together a montage of her bonding with the Mane Six and making amends with the Equal Four. Each of those scenes (Starlight and Pinkie, Starlight and Rarity, Starlight and Applejack, Starlight and Fluttershy, Starlight and Twilight, Starlight and the Equal Four) could've been an entire episode. If they'd gone that route, I don't think we'd be debating whether or not Starlight Glimmer deserved to be forgiven.

• Brohoof 2

In fact, at this point, I'm sincerely doubting Starlight's status as a main character.

I can only hope; given how she's been so tied to twilight, I'm kind of hoping that she's just there as twilight's "First student" and gets kicked to the background after twilight essentially gets the hang of teaching ponies :P

Like what the heck, how could anyone like a pony that nearly killed the future and didn't care?

Didn't care? When was the last time you watched the finale? Because from I'm standing, she had no idea of the consequences of what she was doing, and when she found out, while she was in denial for a little bit, it was one of the major turning points for her in her redemption.

• Brohoof 2

I think it's just for toys why Starlight Glimmer is not Sunset Shimmer but...ok, I'm not upset about this. Sunset Shimmer is pony from Equestria Girls movies and only EqG movies. Fine. 

But there is at least one Starlight toy :squee:

Huh, checked the database and there's more starlight's than I thought. I thought she only had 1 brushable in the line and then a mcdonalds toy.

Well, guess you learn something everyday, she's got a good amount. (still bullshit that AJ doesn't get a mcdonalds toy but she does)

I wonder how well they're selling.

seriously? Stupid Starlight has a TON more pony figures of her than Sunset.

http://data.mlpmerch.com/search?q=Starlight+glimmer

Absolute BS

She has some, but not more than sunset; Sunset has 24 items on that database compared to starlight's 15. Granted, sunset has been around MUCH longer than starlight, so that's to be expected, but sunset still has more.

On a completely unrelated note, its rather surprising how comparatively little EQG toys Sunset has compared to the other mane six given how much the staff have focused on her.

Huh, checked the database and there's more starlight's than I thought. I thought she only had 1 brushable in the line and then a mcdonalds toy.

Well, guess you learn something everyday, she's got a good amount. (still bullshit that AJ doesn't get a mcdonalds toy but she does)

I wonder how well they're selling.

She has some, but not more than sunset; Sunset has 24 items on that database compared to starlight's 15. Granted, sunset has been around MUCH longer than starlight, so that's to be expected, but sunset still has more.

On a completely unrelated note, its rather surprising how comparatively little EQG toys Sunset has compared to the other mane six given how much the staff have focused on her.

SSunset absolutely DOES NOT have 24 PONY toys. If you include human dolls,thaen maybe. But certainly not strictly equine, hooved, maned and muzzled toys equal to 24.

Unrelated note, yeah it is surprising. More disappointing, if anything. Not happy about that.

SSunset absolutely DOES NOT have 24 PONY toys. If you include human dolls,thaen maybe. But certainly not strictly equine, hooved, maned and muzzled toys equal to 24.

Unrelated note, yeah it is surprising. More disappointing, if anything. Not happy about that.

Discounting the Human items, she has 15 total pony merchandise pieces. This includes the CCG cards as well (But I also included the CCG cards of starlight in her total as well)

I know Sunset has alot of Adult fans, but I'm actually 100% fine with her lack of toys myself XD

Not a huge fan of her, so her just having a normal amount is fine with me :P XD

(edited)

Starlight and Sunset are not comparable. They have nowhere close to the same status. 

In fact, at this point, I'm sincerely doubting Starlight's status as a main character. Sunset, on the other hand, is the only main character of Equestria Girls. 

Im honestly worried about Sunset being shoved aside now that the Purple One has a permenant Counterpart in the EQGverse. Since we gotta push Twilight even MORE above everyone obviously...

Honestly Id happily take ether Glimmer or Shimmer over Twilight in most situations at this point. Like I can count the number of appearences where Twilight was compelling in the last 3 seasons on one hand, and whenever she has a major role the fans get angry because you've got one group of fans who wants her to be the grandmaster of friendship and another that would rather her be more flawed all the time (kind of like she was in No Second Prances, id say im in that group since I thought that was a great Twilight appearance). So she's kind of in a corner where no matter WHAT is done with her it'll be divisive.

I think the big problem with Starlight Glimmer was not the fact she was redeemed, but how she was redeemed. Instead of taking a gradualist approach and saving her redemption (and her backstory, for that matter) for Season 6 where it could be expanded upon and given some weight, the writers threw together a montage of her bonding with the Mane Six and making amends with the Equal Four. Each of those scenes (Starlight and Pinkie, Starlight and Rarity, Starlight and Applejack, Starlight and Fluttershy, Starlight and Twilight, Starlight and the Equal Four) could've been an entire episode. If they'd gone that route, I don't think we'd be debating whether or not Starlight Glimmer deserved to be forgiven.

I think then we'd probably have people complaining about her getting 7 episodes in a season instead.

Seriously? Starlight deserves nothing. The hate isn't unwarranted, she a horrible character.

Like what the heck, how could anyone like a pony that nearly killed the future and didn't care? Talk about circle jerking, people love this little sow. It's like they completely ignored what she did.

>Almost destroyed the world

You know who almost did that too? Luna, and that doesn't stop her from inexplicably being one of the most popular characters in the entire fandom. Despite almost never doing anything and having a fairly inconsistent personality.

And Starlight pretty much was immidately really troubled once Twilight showed her the wasteland that had become the future, she was just in denial for a bit.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

I used to dislike Sunset but in the third EqG movie she was awesome. Starlight being redeemed I didn't think well of at first but I like her the more she's around now. Both universes basically have a Mane 7 now if you think about it, and I think they're both serving their purposes just fine for now. :)

Wait.  Why does it have to be Starlight over Sunset, or Sunset over Starlight?  Why not them both cuddling together in harmony?

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Also, general assumption is that Starlights in FIM to try and cash in on Sunset's appeal in the EQG universe

229639__safe_rarity_crossover_alicorn_ra