Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you feel about Starlight over Sunset?

cider float

I feel like Starlight Glimmer is like a copy of Sunset Shimmer except they made an excuse to make BOTH just to sell two new dolls when they could have just have Sunset Shimmer been the newcomer in MLP: Friendship is Magic from the movie. Don't get me wrong I hate both of them and prefer them both gone but there are people that are big fans of these ponies. Did Starlight Glimmer take over Sunset Shimmer's seat? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Sunset Shimmer was a really lame, uninteresting villain who became a fantastic protagonist. Starlight was a fantastic villain who became a really lame uninteresting protagonist. Starlight was a completely unnecessary addition to the show as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing they've done with her or have yet to do with her that wasn't already done a million times better with Shimmer, and at least she has the decency to exist in her own separate universe.

• Brohoof 6

Sunset is a character that had an unbelievably lame origin story, but she became quite likable later on. Starlight is a character that was insanely overpowered to the point of absurdity and her backstory was incredibly lame.

"Oh no I kinda lost one friend time to destroy everything."  Sunset was at least a bit justified, you know, being thrown into a totally different dimension. I am still not entirely sold on Starlight either at this point, so there's that.I don't like EqG much, but Sunset is okay in my book.

They were both terrible, uninteresting Twilight clones, and the show would be better without either of them. I also don't care for eq girls at all, I think it was a boring, unnecessary addition to the mlp universe. 

• Brohoof 1

Not liking either of them.

The thing about sunset is her function in the group is basically just "twilight but with a villain backstory". Her Time to shine book was basically Winter wrap up: sunset edition, and she's more or less acting as twilight for the group. Problem: We ALREADY HAVE a twilight, called twilight, for the EQG universe :/

Either way, I'm not full of hate for Sunset, but I think she's massively over rated, and I kind of hope they find a way to differentiate her and twilight in roles in the upcoming movie and tone Sunset back a bit :P (Most probably this will be done by making Human twilight's group role vastly different from Pony twilight's role, so LOE will be interesting to see, though I'm not expecting much after FG).

Now, Starlight? Freaking HATE starlight. She was good as a villain in the cutie mark map, but then they decided to Upgrade her magic to Super plot armor levels so she basically makes TWILIGHT look like a lightweight, and have basically made her character "I'm a pitiable Ex-villain with possible autism, love me". Not feeling her at ALL. I find her boring and a poor addition to the group.

So I'll take Sunset Over starlight anyday, even if I'm not a big fan of EITHER. At least Sunset had a better backstory and color scheme than starlight; "My friend moved away and it made me sad" Is NOT a villainous backstory, that's like mental illness reasoning for villainy, and not even GOOD mental illness reasoning.

Also, Sunset at least had a reason to be as good as Twilight, starlight's just "She's Broly, deal with it"

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Sunset Shimmer was a really lame, uninteresting villain who became a fantastic protagonist. Starlight was a fantastic villain who became a really lame uninteresting protagonist. 

This is actually pretty damn accurate imo.

Sunset was a really lame villain albeit one with an interesting backstory, then Rainbow Rocks came and turned her into a really awesome main character who had to earn everyone's trust and goodwill. And I think because the bar was so low for Sunset after the first movie she blew a lot of people's expectations with her performance in Rainbow Rocks

Almost the exact opposite happened with Starlight. She started off as a really awesome and genuinely unnerving villain in her first appearance, then Cutie Remark happened, made her OP, gave her a laughably bad backstory/motive and had everything handed to her on a silver platter with no consequences in the span of a couple of minutes. Both had bad redemptions, but at least Sunset both faced punishment(though not proportionate to her actions) and had an entire movie to actually make it worthwhile. IMO, they should've went with the Zuko route and had Starlight try to earn the trust of the mane 6(whether collectively or one by one is up for debate). Now they still have the rest of the season to make it worthwhile, but so far, sorry, I'm still not feeling it

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Sunset is a Twannabe, Starlight is a Twannabe, they are both hollow and unnecessary dolls inflatable via self insertion, and they both suck yak sacks.

We are deep enough within this season to see where things stand with our latest “Best Waifu.” They have effectively Celestia’d Twilight by making her Starlight’s teacher, forgetting that it’s supposed to be about Twilight learning this whole teacher stuff while going completely gaga with Rarity and Glimmer. It seems this season is supposed to be about Mane 6 fulfilling their hopes and dreams while helping others do the same, but it’s turning out into some kind of writer’s pet fest. Welp, color me unsurprised and slightly irritated.

Sunset is at least tolerable cause she belongs to a sinking ship ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Brohoof 1

At the risk of sounding dramatic: I think she's the worst thing to happen to the show in all of its six seasons, and her continued presence is slowly killing my enjoyment of it. She made a fine entrance is a villain in her Equality town, but everything about her and the way she has been handled since the season 5 finale I have found to be gag-worthy, and the way they try and shoehorn her into the plot isn't helping things.

By contrast Sunset had a comparatively lame introduction and her whole highschool plot was silly, but the following movie really made her a compelling character that I wouldn't mind seeing in the show proper on regular basis. Much better character than Starlight, past a rocky start.

• Brohoof 2

Starlight seems to be very clueless and just waits now for an answer to be spoon fed to her. As a protagonist, she loss a bit of her spark and I'm afraid that she'll never hold up to her pre-reformed self and even that her equality-self wasn't even that redeeming either. I feel like Starlight is now a plot-device just to move episodes.

Sunny mane on the other side, have a reasonable cause as her old life can connect with her present with her reformation. Sunny's aspirations can potentially shed more depth in FIM rather than in EQG.

Honestly, Starlight is one of the most boring, mundane and frankly lame characters we've seen in the series so far. She's not interesting, they keep bringing up her past as if making up for everything wasn't good enough, and it's generally getting annoying. I don't fully hate her, but I think she's a copypasta of Sunset, except she's in Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

Don't care about Starlight at all, to be honest. No personality whatsoever besides 'I used to be evil and I'm struggling to adjust.' What are her likes, dislikes, her hobbies? We don't know, because the writers haven't bothered to give her any.

Sunset doesn't fair any better either. Incredibly bland audience stand-in with the same 'personality' as Starlight.

So yeah, give them more personality outside of 'their evil pasts' and I may start caring about them. I want to be able to connect and relate to these characters, but I can't. They're just really boring and unappealing to me.

(edited)

Starlight's redemption was so rushed it made Sunset Shimmer's from the first EQG movie look like Zuko's in comparison.

Heck it went by so fast, that I am not sure to even call it character reformation. Because it certainly didn't have enough time to be considered an actual arc.  It was more like having friendship being given to her on a silver platter and not having to deal with any sort of consequences of her past atrocities.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 3

Sunset is at least tolerable cause she belongs to a sinking ship ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't mean to be a downer, but I wouldn't celebrate on that; the EQG minis toyline has been incredibly successful, and they're shifting alot of focus to that in order to capitalize on its success.

If legend of everfree performs well, I think that the EQG toyline will most likely rebound due to the Increased focus on the minis.

Honestly, Starlight is one of the most boring, mundane and frankly lame characters we've seen in the series so far. She's not interesting, they keep bringing up her past as if making up for everything wasn't good enough, and it's generally getting annoying. I don't fully hate her, but I think she's a copypasta of Sunset, except she's in Equestria.

Its funny to see all the dislike for starlight on this site; I DON'T like starlight, but everytime I go over to /mlp on 4chan, its almost as much love for her as for Sunset :/

(edited)

I have a bunch of reasons I could explain on why Starlight right now is a stronger character than Sunset right now despite having a weaker backstory but it'd just be bashed to hell and back by the hate circlejerk for her on this site. I'll just say this, beyond "She had to WORK to make the Mane 6 like her" what was Sunset's personality in Rainbow Rocks? It's funny to see people say Starlight has no personality when I can see it pretty easily, while she's angsty about her past like Shimmer and Luna are she's far more willing to joke about it, is slightly snarky, retains a manipulative side, still has issues with her first instincts being to bend a situation to her will through magic (which she admits to). She's more like Season 1 Twilight than Sunset Shimmer really. 

But honestly her episodes (or well part of episode in the Crystalling's case since the Flurry Heart stuff kind of sucked) have basically all been the best in the season so whatever. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 3

I don't mean to be a downer, but I wouldn't celebrate on that; the EQG minis toyline has been incredibly successful, and they're shifting alot of focus to that in order to capitalize on its success.

If legend of everfree performs well, I think that the EQG toyline will most likely rebound due to the Increased focus on the minis.

Its funny to see all the dislike for starlight on this site; I DON'T like starlight, but everytime I go over to /mlp on 4chan, its almost as much love for her as for Sunset :/

Yeah, I know. Just teasing Sunset fans. I mean, how can I even criticize such a perfect and well-constructed character directly?

I wouldn’t bother myself with bouts of popularity on targeted fan sites. Their numbers are always skewed towards Best Waifus. This is how their uniquely comprised populations process things. It’s like asking Starcraft fans what matters most to majority of RTS players. The truth is: we don’t actually know how popular these shitty characters are, yet.

Personally I like Sunset and Starlight; so why not both? :P

Granted I will admit I have a stringer liking for Sunset due to her overall character arc in the EqG movies, but I really like what they're doing with Starlight. They are taking their time with her and just doing different things with her that they didn't have time Sunset; such as making friends with Trixie and experiencing her first true Hearth's Warming Eve after her spell as a villain. Honestly; I'm intrigued at what the future holds. :)

• Brohoof 2

Starlight feels to me like a completely filler character who brings no depth or literally anything to the series in regard to her character.

Say what you will about Sunset but at least she took steps on her own to become a better person and didn't need Twilight constantly telling her what to do. Can you imagine how bad it would've been if Twilight constantly had to tell Sunset how to redeem herself?

Starlight is almost kinda like a worthless parasite.

• Brohoof 3

Sunset was really lame until Rainbow Rocks came. Then she became a Second Twilight. Starlight was really interesting, but her backstory was kinda lame. And then they decided to make her a Second Sunset in season 6. TBH I prefer evil Starlight

Starlight and Sunset are not comparable. They have nowhere close to the same status. 

In fact, at this point, I'm sincerely doubting Starlight's status as a main character. Sunset, on the other hand, is the only main character of Equestria Girls. 

• Brohoof 3

WOW - Why so much hate on Starlight! In my opinion she is an interesting character like the others and I like her presence in the show.

I think some of you are being overly critical. Those saying she has a bad back story with one pony being better than her making her want to destroy Equestria are wrong. The situation in her past happened when she was young and an event that happens in ones childhood tend to stay and deeply effect their future life; such as when people endure a traumatic event or something that shatters ones confidence leading to them never doing anything in life. This naturally let her to become a villain and rule a communist town. Then things went even worse for her when Twilight and the mane 6 threw away all she had worked for (even though it was the right thing to do) so she got even more distraught. And of course after years of negative thinking her ideas and views would be distorted to a point where revenge on such a large scale would seem viable to her. That's why she stopped when Twilight showed her that she was wrong and she can become reformed just like Discord was.

I think its interesting to have an evil character turn good and join the protagonists as its shows their character in a new and different way which is interesting to see. For instants the way she behaves around other reformed characters like Trixie, could she turn evil again? Also the funny little references back to her evil past are always funny to hear.

If anything Starlight serves as a refresher to the mane cast. Besides, its only been a few episodes, i'm sure they have more episodes planned for her in the future. Also, I don't consider her to be a new addition to the mane 6, shes just quite a big character at the moment; this means it will take longer for the writers to show us more about her.

As for Sunset Shimmer, well shes only been in the movies so I don't really consider her a character of the show.

• Brohoof 3

I find it kind of funny that people are trashing on Sunset Shimmer and yet she's by far one of the best characters to come out of the FiM franchise. Her development has been both wonderful and natural.

• Brohoof 2

Starlight is almost kinda like a worthless parasite.

Agree here. Starlight is just... THERE. Her only "Character" is being someone for twilight to interact with and grow from teaching. She doesn't feel like a legitimate character.

Its like Flash sentry: Flash's sole purpose is to be a love interest: If you remove Twilight, he has no reason to exist. Same with Starlight. You remove twilight and the student aspect, and what does she have? NOTHING.

Like, I'm all for new characters: Hell, I loved the comics that had Trixie added to the mix with AJ and Rarity, as she worked well with them. The problem is that Starlight brings NOTHING, she has no chemistry, she adds no new dynamics! She's a flat character (Post reform) who has nothing new that she adds to the dynamic. She's literally stapled to twilight and Is more or less just an extension of Twilight, like a creepy Siamese twin attached to her.

I'd have no issues with a seventh character being added to the mix if they brought something, but Starlight's personality and who she is just adds nothing.

Sunset, on the other hand, is the only main character of Equestria Girls. 

Sad, but true.

I'm hoping they throttle back on the Sunset train a bit in the fourth movie, but given how she's got full time wings now and the deluxe Wing toys feature her, I'm not having much hope.

I find it kind of funny that people are trashing on Sunset Shimmer and yet she's by far one of the best characters to come out of the FiM franchise. Her development has been both wonderful and natural.

Wait, Trashing on sunset? Most of the thread is trashing on Starlight XD

There's a couple negative comments on Sunset (I'm one for example XD), but most of what I've read on the thread has been positive about her

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

While I don't dislike Glimmer anymore, I think she's a weaker character than Sunset. The way the writers handled her redemption left a lot to be desired. I'd have preferred it if they'd saved Starlight's redemption for Season 6 and had her gradually earn the trust of each of the Mane Six on an episode-by-episode basis instead of giving her a redemption montage.  :dry:  If they hadn't gone that route, I think she'd be a much stronger character.

That being said, I've enjoyed the last two episodes featuring Starlight (especially A Hearth's Warming Tail). I'm hoping it's a sign of things to come and a sign that the writers can turn Glimmer around and make up for her rocky start.  :muffins:

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 2