Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Don't be a carbon copy of Disney

TheAnimatorOfficial

(edited)

No one said they should completely copy Disney, just that they should draw inspiration from them, just like the show has had plenty of times in the past

Just let the movie be itself, a My Little Pony movie

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 7

Yeah, I'll second this.  I think that the key to making a good movie will be for the writers to assume intelligence on the part of their viewers (young and old alike), and not treat them like idiots, which is all too common in big budget Hollywood.

@, it took me about 20 minutes to write this because I can't stop staring at your avatar.  It's amazing.

• Brohoof 4

This film needs to do something unique in comparison to other animated films.

Friendship is Magic already has used elements reminiscent of Disney ... in both shot and music composition. Can you elaborate in an element or two you would prefer it to diverge from?

Now that I think about it ... we can make one or two logical suppositions here. With a multi-character cast on an adventure ... we only have a few Disney movies that it would be comparable to (Atlantis, Treasure Island, mayyyybe Lilo & Stitch). I definitely don't see it emulating the story beats and formula that we see in the recent or classic Disney films :P

You are basically looking at an ensemble journey's tale adventure with major characters that do not need to be introduced. That doesn't feel Disney. Well ... maybe Disney Afternoon.

• Brohoof 1

Does it matter whether or not it takes more inspiration from Disney or whatever else there is?

The purpose of a film is to bring entertainment, and of course the cash. MLP:FiM already has it's own style, so it can only take inspiration from other things. It's done it already, and it's always continued pretty well.

I'm just happy they're actually making a Pony film, and not another one of those EQG. That's all I need to be grateful for.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think you'll have to worry about them being a carbon copy. They may draw influence from Disney but that isn't a bad thing. And in the end I'm sure this movie will feel distinctly like FiM.

Edited by Rarity Is Best Pony

Well the inspiration was Lord of the Rings apparently so that mixed with Disney and what MPL usually is sounds perfect for me since those are all things that I love.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You mean like predictable stories and obnoxious comic reliefs?

I'd attribute those traits to current MLP:FiM than current Disney movies.

I don't know where you've been for the past decade, but Disney has been doing really well.

I'd attribute those traits to current MLP:FiM than current Disney movies.

I don't know where you've been for the past decade, but Disney has been doing really well.

Inside Out was an exact carbon copy of MLP. The Good Dinosaur was one of the worst animated films of the decade. Strange Magic made me want to murder the nearest sentient being. Big Hero 6 was the most predictable thing on earth.

Hell, Pixar hasn't made a good film since Up.

Inside Out was an exact carbon copy of MLP.

MLP has nothing on Inside Out.

The Good Dinosaur was one of the worst animated films of the decade.

Worst of the decade is a bit harsh if you look at what else came out, but yes, I agree that The Good Dinosaur was awful as far as Pixar movies go.

Strange Magic made me want to murder the nearest sentient being.

That was only distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The movie itself was made by Lucasfilm Animation.

Big Hero 6 was the most predictable thing on earth.

How so?

Hell, Pixar hasn't made a good film since Up.

I personally think Inside Out is one of their best, but we know your feelings on that. Have you seen Finding Dory though? That's really good.

(edited)

MLP has nothing on Inside Out.

Worst of the decade is a bit harsh if you look at what else came out, but yes, I agree that The Good Dinosaur was awful as far as Pixar movies go.

That was only distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The movie itself was made by Lucasfilm Animation.

How so?

I personally think Inside Out is one of their best, but we know your feelings on that. Have you seen Finding Dory though? That's really good.

Yes. Basically the same thing as Finding Nemo except with mediocre animation and a boring and liberal pandering plot.

As for Inside Out it's five flat characters controlling a robot and two have to get from point A to point B. Yawn.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

Yes. Basically the same thing as Finding Nemo except with mediocre animation and a boring and liberal pandering plot.

I'll give you animation and boring, as while I disagree, those are subjective (however, you should read up on some of the animation technology that was used in Finding Dory; it's pretty cool). However, what part of the film was "liberal pandering?"

I'll give you animation and boring, as while I disagree, those are subjective (however, you should read up on some of the animation technology that was used in Finding Dory; it's pretty cool). However, what part of the film was "liberal pandering?"

The environmental/advertising crap shoved down our throats every scene. Same thing in Zootopia with that garbage "IM SO SPECIAL" plotline.

It's hard for an animated film NOT to try to be like Disney. Disney has sort of set some industry standards that people have come to expect from animated films. Sort of how "The Godfather" and "Good Fellas" set standards for how people think mafia movies should be, or like how Star Wars and Star Trek set standards for sy-fi space movies. The important thing is that we distinguish being "inspired by Disney" and "copying Disney". It's fine, even good, to be inspired by something, but it's bad to just copy it.

The environmental/advertising crap shoved down our throats every scene. Same thing in Zootopia with that garbage "IM SO SPECIAL" plotline.

Well, that is one of Disney and Pixar's calling cards since the 90's at least. You could also go back further and include some of Disney's live action films.

Anyway. FiM isn't adverse to tackling social issues, albeit simplified, so it would shock me to see such a message in the film. The interesting thing a out film is how it can be a proper medium to investigate prevailing views of its era. Animation is certainly not immune to that.