Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What languages do you know or want to learn?

Mint Petal

I speak fluently german since i'm austrian. My english knowledge is enough for me to understand the most stuff but spelling and talking is...yeah.

The language i really want to learn is Latin. It sounds really cool, if you speak it in the german way. hehehe.

This thread got three pages in two days, then suddenly stopped? That's a little scary...

Well, if I may. :) I'm very fluent in English. Second-best would be Japanese - I can survive most conversations.

Less-fluent languages: Spanish (3 years), Italian (2 years), Chinese (1 year), American Sign Language (.5 years).

Currently, I'm working on trying to improve my sign language, since it's most needed to communicate where I'm currently living. It's enjoyable to learn as well.

• Brohoof 2

Dutch, as that's my primary language, I have also mastered English and am very fluent in it, thanks to videogames and TV-shows! also French. German slightly, as it sounds alot like Dutch. Spanish slightly, because i have lived in the Dominican Republic for a solid 5 years. I used to know Latin from studying it in school, but it became too difficult and i quit it. I remember one word in Latin, which is "asinus", meaning donkey, ironically...

Edited by Dusk Dream
  • Brohoof 1

I'm pretty fluent in German, French, Spanish, English, Mandarin, Irish, and especially Welsh because it's my first language.

I'm taking Spanish for my GCSE's and I was taught German, French and Mandarin for about 6 years, because my academy is proper fancy and they make us learn everything...

My dad is Irish and my mum is Welsh...

Oh and my aunt is German.

So yeh...

Edited by BubbleGum-Pop
  • Brohoof 2

Apparently, I'm fluent in English. Also, being an ethnic Chinese, I do speak Mandarin fluently as well. (Yes, I'm bilingual. ;P )

Currently, I'm self-learning Italian and German because of my passion for opera, so I might be able to speak a few phrases here and there...  :derp:

好了,余不赘言! :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I speak American English and German. 

I also speak programming languages, such as Binary, Javascript, Java, C#, C++, C, GML, Lua,DSAL(a programming language I made), CSS, HTML, Visual Basic, SQL, PHP, Python, and CAT. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm only fluent in one language, that's English, unless you count programming languages. :P

I wanna learn Russian or Japanese though.

Technically they are a language. A language is a means of communication between organisms, biological or artificial. So yeah.

• Brohoof 1

Technically they are a language. A language is a means of communication between organisms, biological or artificial. So yeah.

That may be the textbook definition of language, but almost nobody (sorry no name pun this time ;_; ) uses the textbook definition of it like that when asking what language you speak.

Like if someone were to come up to you and ask what language you speak, you wouldn't rattle off a bunch of computer languages.

Edited by -Nobody-
  • Brohoof 1

That may be the textbook definition of language, but almost nobody (sorry no name pun this time ;_; ) uses the textbook definition of it like that when asking what language you speak.

Like if someone were to come up to you and ask what language you speak, you wouldn't rattle off a bunch of computer languages.

I guess it is my nature to categories languages into two sets: Organism-Based and Artificially based, if that makes any sense.

• Brohoof 2

english

french

arabic

and some spanish :D

all schools in my  country have to teach at least 2 languages mostly its arabic and french but since im american

i also mastered english

spanish is like a 4th language not super fluent but i can figuer it out  

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in english, french and polish. for writing it'd be english and french mostly

reasons: I was born in california, my parents are from poland, and i live in france now.

Edited by TwilieSparklz
  • Brohoof 2

Being from a lively Puerto Rican family, my native language is Spanish. However I spent so much time learning and speaking English that my brain kinda rewired itself to think in that language and now I sometimes struggle to articulate things in Spanish. My fellow Puerto Ricans often refer to me as a gringo.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mia unua lingvoas Angla. Kaj mi esperas lerni Nederlandan Hispanian kaj Germanan je la venonta auxtuno (eble du auxtinoj je nun, l'fick se m'scias). Ho, kaj mi lernas Esperanton, se oni demandus: kio lingvo estas cxi-tio. Sed rememoru, ke mi estas nur komencanto~

//

My first language is English, and I hope to learn Dutch, Spanish, and German by next fall. Oh, and I'm learning Esperanto, if you'd ask what language [that] is -- but remember I'm just a beginner.

• Brohoof 1

I'm fluent in English, but I've been taking French classes for six years.

Not a lie, seriously, not joking, I can really only say "bonjour". Neither can anyone else in my class, really.

The French programs, really, really, suck.

• Brohoof 1

I can speak my own language fluently obviously which is Icelandic, I can also speak English fluently, I can speak German fluently and Danish. I can speak them all fluently, yet I have become a little rusty in some. I didn't want to learn Danish, it was just at school. I have honestly only used it once in my life with another danish person and that was only one word I said. Still, danish girls are awesome so it could come in handy one day. ;)

Then it's the German language, I learned it because I love BMW and Germany, I haven't used it much either but still the regular "danke", "danke schön" and "guten tag" but I haven't really spoken with another german person. Again, german girls are awesome.. ;) I wanted to be able to just go live in Germany.. But currently I don't want to live in Europe. But hey, at least I can read the manuals in german cars.

English, I obviously use it a lot.. Even more then my native language, I have used it a few times in real life but a lot obviously online. Also, American, British, Scottish and Australian girls are awesome. ;)

Icelandic, again Icelandic girls are awesome.. ;)

So yeah, I have learned a few languages. I don't use them at all, but it's better to know the language and at least having the option. German is my favorite language though, because of their cars. I just like English because I use it so much.

• Brohoof 1

Mein Führer, der Roten Armee haben jetzt durch den Seelow Heights und sind jetzt auf dem Weg nach Berlin. Mein Führer, sie sind uns zehn zu eins, der Krieg ist verloren. Hingabe ist unsere einzige Option.
Mein Führer, die Roten Armee hat sich jetzt durch den Seelowen Höhen gedrängt und ist jetzt auf dem Weg nach Berlin. Mein Führer, sie überlegen uns zehn zu eins, der Krieg ist verloren. Kapitulation ist unsere einzige Möglichkeit.

Setz dich, Remington. Fünf! :P

И вообще: Гитлер капут, война окончена, бери шинель, пошли домой (Russian: Hitler kaputt, war is over, pick up your greatcoat, we are going home).

Russian is my native language.

German is my country language (I live in Germany for 10 years now and know german well enough to graduate high school and study in a university).

And I hope to be fluent enough in English, that I'v learned mostly by watching american movies and series.

Technically they are a language.
Tecnically, it's not.

Even in your defenition. Mashines don't understand high-level programming languages. And I don't think that -Nobady- knows machine codes, which every high-level code have to be translated into.

Also, we don't use it to communicate with machines. We use it to roole them.

• Brohoof 1

I only speak English. I speak a little spanish here and there but not nearly enough to carry on a conversation. I'm very fluent in 13375|>34|<, |-|()\/\/3\/3|2.

Well... Languages I know include English, Dutch and Spanish (took the first few steps in learning Icelandic recently). As for languages I am fluent in, that'd be just English. My Dutch and Spanish are decent at best. Although as far as my Venezuelan cousins are concerned, my Spanish is good enough.

• Brohoof 1

English, I know a bit of Spanish, like simple greetings and such but nothing impressive. Languages don't come as quickly to me as to others and all of my family speaks English.  :mellow: 

• Brohoof 1