Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Is the earth spherical or flat?

Grepper

Simple, the observation of Brownian motion ...

That is not proof, that is just words. You were told that those things happened. You claimed that you could prove any theory. I took that to mean that you personally could build any experiment to test any theory. That is impossible.

Everyone accepts as fact a great many things that they cannot personally prove.

(edited)

That is not proof, that is just words. You were told that those things happened. You claimed that you could prove any theory. I took that to mean that you personally could build any experiment to test any theory. That is impossible.

It's not that difficult to observe, even for an amateur scientist. A person in the 1820s could do it and anyone who's taken chemistry and physics can set one up. I can do it with a smoke cell, microscope, and DC battery. 

Yes, nothing is truly fact, but without delving too much into philosophy, there are events that are heavily proved and observed by many sources, while there are others founded on faulty evidence and illogical conclusions. The flat earth "theory" is one of them. 

Edited by Sealand
  • Brohoof 1

I am sorry, I didn't build a long enough sentence and my idea was, perhaps unclear. However, I didn't use the word "prove". I used the word "do".

While you could not prove such theories, you could rebuild them, do the work that was done ages ago. Granted enough time and patience of course.

In the Earth case, it is basically an experiment, I presume that's the source of confusion, here. Since the work we are talking about has been done before, there is, technically, no counter-example.

Yes, and it's actually rare, but some people need to prove things before accepting them as a fact. But I don't know if it's bad. As a community, we base our work on trust at some point. And mark my words, I didn't said blind faith, I said trust.

It makes things smooth. For example, when you write here, you assume that there is actually someone talking to you, but even if you knew all the mathematics behind it, you didn't prove it.

Because it's wasted time. That's the same idea here. We don't have to rebuild everything. We have to make sure it has been done right, we trust it, and we have to build on top of it. And considering the ammount of time it takes to prove everything, it is probably better that way, don't you think ?

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

It's spherical (but not a perfect sphere) and those who don't believe so should take a ride on an airplane sometime and look out the window.

• Brohoof 1

It is a sphere, end of story. I mean the way gravity is evenly distributed on this planet and the rounded horizon should both be pretty much proof of it by any standard. Of course unless you're intentionally being an idiot, then I don't know what to tell you. :dry: