Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When should Spike mature?

Wardaddy

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now, but how long more can Spike stay a baby dragon? There needs to come a time when he evolves beyond childhood. There have already been a few missed opportunities, such as the Crystal Empire when he rescued the Crystal Heart from Sombra, in Gauntlet of Fire when he chose to help Ember and give her the staff rather than take it for himself, and more recently in the Season 6 opener with McFlurry Heart. So if not then, when should Spike earn his wings?

I don't think that Spike is ever going to get wings.

I would like to see an episode where Spike finally gets over his feelings for Rarity similar to this moment from Gravity Falls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0rc1ntwipQ

and Every Little Thing She Does sounds like it could be an episode focusing on the two.

But Rarity has already appeared way too much in the season already, and characters like Fluttershy need screentime way more than her.

• Brohoof 3

Do you have some evidence to suggest that wings are something a dragon is born without, then earns?  I doubt that premise.  I think that he's either a flightless subspecies of dragon, or, more likely, wings simply grow at a certain age.  Probably at puberty.  I don't think wings are awarded for heroic deeds, nor do I think they appear like an alicorn transformation.

That said, I honestly wish they would have him grow up, but this would raise other obvious, temporal anomalies.  Namely, all colt and filly characters would have to show age as well.  I would have no problem with this.  I'd love it if the CMC and other younglings grew up.  The adults wouldn't need to look any different, because in all likelihood, the mane six would look the same at, say, early 30s as they do now (mid-20s).  But Spike and the CMC should have changed a lot by now.  Unfortunately, it seems that the opportunity to have them grow has passed.  They would have needed to show some change already.  It seems that now they are locked into the animated trope of having young characters unaffected by time.  (e.g. Bart and Lisa)  In most shows, this works, but I wish FIM would take a more realistic approach and have characters grow up.  Honestly, I think it would be frigging awesome if Spike actually grew up and became the size of the Dragonshy dragon.  Imagine the possibilities!

This is something i would love to see and from the looks of it may happen soon so far in season 6 the mane 6 are starting to find that they have their dreams rainbow dash is an official wonderbolt twilight is a teacher instead of a student rarity has boutiques all around equestria we still have pinkie fluttershy and applejack still need to reach their dreams starlight glimmer is still new so we dont know possibly next season we see hers an or pinkie fluttershy and apple jacks dreams found but most likely they will find theirs this season and possibly along with spike in the goblet of fire we sorta see how spike has progressed and we see that he has learned from years in ponyvile ( i dont know exactly how long im gonna guess 3 ) so its definitely possible to see him grow up but there is one issue back in i believe season 1 in an episode it is shown that when spike was greedy he actually grew to a huge size and but didn't have wings. one big thing is ember was larger than spike and has wings so maybe greed doesn't matter in how a dragon grows up but if spike si its gonna be in this season

Honestly, I think it would be frigging awesome if Spike actually grew up and became the size of the Dragonshy dragon.

I think it'd be much more practical for him to become more like this:

spike%2Bthe%2Bknight%2Bseason%2B5.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Well I don't spike will fly given when he did get all big and bad from the greed,  he was a drake and is a drake so no wings for spike sadly.   I do think they should let ho,me grow up a little at least given he has gone though those moments of growth and don't keep pushing him back to the gag reel or just not having him at all around.

I think it'd be much more practical for him to become more like this:

I have to admit, I've never been a fan of the "Sir Spike" design. Its biggest problem is it's an anachronism in this universe. Sir Spike is clearly anthropomorphic, but there are no humans around for Spike to envision this as being the ideal body type he should strive for. Spike only walks on two legs because it seems most young dragons do that due to where their center of mass is (they have big rumps, lol). Once they grow up, they start walking like the dragons of lore on all four legs. (Even Spike gets down on all fours when it's convenient or he needs a little extra speed when running.)

If anything, a more realistic approach would have been for Spike to model his heroic self after some adult dragon he has respect for, or even after Shining Armor whom I'm sure is a big hero in his eyes. In both cases, they are quadrupeds and they don't have those ridiculously skinny legs like Sir Spike or unrealistic muscle tone like some human pro wrestler. I think whoever designed Sir Spike was unfortunately thinking in human terms of an ideal and not a pony or dragon.

And somehow I just don't see him trying to emulate Bulk Biceps or Iron Will, the only commonly seen muscle-bound characters in the show.

I have to say his Guardians of Harmony design is an improvement over Sir Spike, though even there I've seen artwork from fans for adult Spike that looks cooler than that.

• Brohoof 1

I am thinking that, if the movie will be the grand finale for the show, it should happen slightly in between season 6 and movie, basically. So then we see him be a bit more matured in the film or at least by the end of it.

Well, he's a baby dragon, and we know that dragons age slower than ponies, so I don't think he'll grow much as the show goes on. Speaking of growing up, I think the cuties should've grown a bit by now :huh:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Physically for a dragon? Or mentally for his age?

There's always been (still is) this big mystery about what type of dragon. I think there probably is a 'wingless' type of dragon that they haven't brought up yet (heck when he "grew" in secret of my excess - spike still didn't get any wings there).  I think, vaguely, it was mentioned somewhere earlier in the series that dragons can grow to be several years old (I don't recall when it was said in the show, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't).  So, we don't know how long it will take for Spike to actually reach 'adolescent' dragon age. He might not reach it until several years down the road as a possibility.

character/mentally wise, Spike seems to finally be getting a lot better for this season 6 (one of the better improvements imo for this season for Spike).

Edited by pony.colin