Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How does Fluttershy make money?

melody5697

Subsistence farmer.

She owns her cottage, and she takes care of a small number of animals which produce barterable goods: Eggs from her chickens, wool from her sheep, honey from her bees, ect.

Its not much, but her Monetary costs in life are basically "Animal food, me food", and so she probably goes into town, baters her eggs and honey for a few bits, and then uses that to skate by.

From Putting your hoof down we can see that she is NOT financially well off, and this kind of synchs up well with her being a subsistence level individual.

Yeah, I suggested something similar near the end of Page 1, and I'm liking the idea more and more.

She doesn't need to make money in Equestria Girls. She's a junior in high school.

True, however there are many juniors in high school who have jobs these days.   

She’s the elusive mangaka behind classics like Pamphlet Collector Cherry, Magical Goat Epical Stargrazer, Jack Tar Sun, and other works for those with more singular tastes.

I was just talking about this in another thread, actually.  I wish her job was clearly defined like the others.  Obviously it's some type of pet care, pet sitting, etc.  May the Best Pet Win seemed to imply that she runs a pet adoption agency out of her home.  I always thought that Filli Vanilli implied that she runs the Ponyville Humane Society.

She is a pet trainer and groomer. 

There are many episodes in which she is grooming animals. And she has a standing appointment with Rarity for Opal to be groomed. 

She also trains animals, such as working with AJ's dog and she trains birds to sing for events. 

I've answered this in a similar topic in the past....

I'm just gonna copy pasta if you don't mind...

She has a lot of jobs, 

She's been shown to work as a veterinarian 

sig-4436183.fluttervet.png

animal trainer,

sig-4436183.Fluttershy_and_Birds_S2E26.p

and pet store owner

in different episodes. 

It is, however, important to note,  that while  she "is" rendering services, exchange of money was never shown and as such there is a possibility that she is doing all of this for free.

Edited by Crescent Light

• 2 months later...

She probably is payed to help other ponies deal with their pets and animals whether through consultation, training or watching. She may also be called upon to deal with some of the wild animals that come out of the Everfree forest at times.

As others have mentioned she probably sells eggs as well.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity makes dresses. Rainbow Dash used to be a weather pony and is now a Wonderbolt. Pinkie Pie works at a bakery. Applejack runs an apple farm. Twilight probably had a full scholarship and got spending money from Princess Celestia in addition to being a librarian prior to becoming a princess. But I can't think of a single example of Fluttershy earning money. Is she on disability or something?

The same way other animal caretakers get paid. You could look into that. 

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Animal_Caretaker/Hourly_Rate

I have always thought that Equestria operated on a rent in kind/labour type system where the crown (Princess Celestia and Luna), own the vast majority of property throughout the country/continent that is Equestria. In that system it's possible to own one's home but only exceptionally wealthy ponies like the Riches would. For most other ponies, they are permitted to live on a property they don't own in exchange for providing a service to the community based on their destiny/talent. If their service doesn't generate any revenue then they will also receive a monthly dividend to live off of.

Where they live and what they do is determined by the crown which is largely passed off to the mayors who know more about the individual needs of the community, but all the various jobs that need doing are fulfilled because ponies are able to find their niche without worrying about making ends meet. It's a personal headcanon, but it would make sense given the way things work in Equestria and the focus on one's "destiny" as opposed to more superfluous things like a career, which our society has to focus on by necessity. Also note that most ponies live in fairly uniform looking houses and even the ones who don't generally don't have a yard. In fact fences in Ponyville seem fairly non-existent aside from around Fluttershy's cottage, and even then it's debatable if that can be considered her yard or more of a communal area she just happens to occupy. The Apples are the main exception but they provide food for the whole town and may have some kind of rent in kind or revenue type deal given the size of their property.

To answer the OP, Fluttershy's service to the community effectively ensures that the town doesn't get overrun with wild animals, so it would make sense that she would be placed in a cottage on the outskirts of town, and I'm sure putting her up and paying her a living wage would be worth it to ensure that bears don't rampage through Ponyville or that a horde of rabbits won't eat all the vegetation (as seen in the show).