Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who are Cadence and Blueblood related to?

HoztileManikyn

Okay, so in the first changeling episode, we hear that Cadence is Celestia's niece, and in the Galla episode we here that Blueblood is her nephew, They can't be Luna's children, because she would have been on the moon at the time of their conception, so is there a sibling of the royal sisters we don't know about? 

In Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell (One of the books), Cadance explains that she was born a pegasus and ascended to alicornhood much like Twilight did.  For Blueblood, I've heard nothing official about him.

From both of these, I think it can be assumed that both are referred to as nephew and niece either out of respect (much like how Hawaiians call each other Auntie and Uncle) or because they were adopted into the royal family.  One headcanon I've heard that I really like is the latter, where Blueblood's 52nd-great-grandfather was adopted into the royal family and given the Duchy of Canterlot as his title and demesne, which has since been passed down to each subsequent Blueblood or Bluebelle.

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 1

In Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell (One of the books), Cadance explains that she was born a pegasus and ascended to alicornhood much like Twilight did. For Blueblood, I've heard nothing official about him.

I'll admit, I don't like having to use an outside source for show canon, but I tend to be more accepting of that one for Cadance because it can work without breaking anything.  So I tend to be accepting of a backstory that Cadance was actually adopted by Celestia as her niece.

Prince Blueblood on the other hand, I've always theorized that he is from the original continuing unicorn monarch lineage from Hearth's warming eve. That unicorn monarch lineage originating from King Bullion, passed through to his daughter Princess Platinum and then down from there and so on and so on.(getting to Prince Blueblood) .  I theorize that the unicorn monarchy never gave up their royalty status but instead, ceded the majority of ruling power to Celestia and Luna (or whatever the heck those two have).  That's what I've always gone on for a long while now.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well, in the episode where Flurryheart is born, both Celestia and Luna are astonished & say they have never seen a born alicorn.  This implies:

1) They were both born as something else & ascended.

2) This also means it's POSSIBLE that one or both of them gave birth to nonalicorns.  I always thought that when Blueblood referred to Celestia as aunt it was a curtesy title or a sign he was adopted.  However, by this theory it is possible he is descended from Luna & he just left out 1000+ years of "greats" when he called Celestia aunt.