How has your age affected your oc's

Lillim

12 users have voted

1. 1. How has your age affected you're oc's age

• My ponies age matches my irl age
    • My pony is younger then me
    • My pony is older then me

I have multiple OCs.

I don't really want to reveal too much about them; I'm pretty protective of my creations. I will say, however, that all three are older than 23 (my age).

I'm not really sure why, but most of the characters I come up with are older or younger than I am. Maybe it's because I like to put myself into the mindset of another person--writing about someone who is too much like me is boring!

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

Kiri isn't a pony (she's a Kirin, but still in the equine family!), but she is meant to be my 'sona. Therefore, her age matches mine, in that she is the equivalent of a young adult in her early twenties. ^^

All I have is my Ponysona Kyoshi. He is actually a colt. Reason for this is because while I am nearly 24, I am still very much a child at heart, I have a lot of child-like aspects to my personality, so I made him a colt to reflect that. ^-^

My OC's are all older than me. Mainly because I feel that the backstory I gave them would require them to be slightly older. They are all inspired by aspects of my own personality, but they are more just fictional characters I created rather than ponysonas meant to represent me, and therefor I don't try to make them the same age as me. I set their age based on their backstory I wrote for them. The only one that is kind of a ponysona is Treble (my avatar), and he is just a few years older than me. Most of them are not that older (just a few years older than me), but one of them is middle-aged.  

Edited by El Duderino

I've had plenty of OCs over the years, and yes, I have noticed a change.

Early on, they were all very bland, cut out stereotypes. Princesses that were pretty and feminine, wolves that were brave, wild and strong, etc. As time went on and I learned more about character design and storytelling, I started enjoy characters with more variety. I developed a liking for interracial or even inter-species friendships and couples, just cause I enjoyed thinking of ways they might interact when the physical forms don't match. Now days, I think a lot about my character's families and background, things that might never come up in their story but still affect them.

As far as relationships go, I seem to recall that in my childhood a lot of my characters were always alone. Then I hit the pre-teens, and suddenly everyone needed a romance. Now, I'm moving towards more variety in that aspect as well. Some of my characters are self-sufficient, some are in a relationship, and some even are married with kids.

Basically, I think it boils down to that over time I've learned to create believable characters of different types.

Well, technically...two out of my three personas are functionally immortal.  The third, being closer to actually being a pony is younger then me, but not by much.

Always felt that not too much can happen in life until your past teenage years. When your a kid your more likely to let things pass or make the rash decisions you have to live with the rest of your life. I like to give a looot of room for things to happen to my characters, give the implication that there still is some room for untold adventures in there somewhere. But then again, maybe we can blame Doctor Who for getting me intrigued by the idea of what immortality can do to warp a mind.

My Draconequus is immortal because...well, long story short is, he left home, got lost & spent the rest of his life trying to get back. Spend your life focusing on the past too much, and you won't be able to have a future or present.

My pony is somewhat younger because I wanted him as more of a starting point. If Widdershins was a story told looking backwards, Ambie was to be a look forward at what he still had to meet.

And...well...for the third one...Well, Hydras just age slower. A polychephalic creature is bound to be convoluted & I'm good at being needlessly complicated!!!