Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you rate the Mane Six in terms of who would be best to worst mother?

Azureth

While I think we can agree none of them would be abusive/ all out neglectful to any children they have, some would make better mothers than others, so how would you rank them? Me?

1. Applejack.

2. Rarity.

3.Twilight.

4. Fluttershy.

5. Rainbow Dash.

6. Pinkie Pie.

Applejack is number one due to her being so responsible in helping to raise AB and all her other chores.

Pinkie Pie is at the bottom due to how she's still quite immature and easily gets distracted.

1) AJ - Pretty obvious, she's pretty much AB's mom

2) Fluttershy - has a stronger maternal instinct, but I can see her giving into her kids easily

3) Rainbow Dash - She still has a lot of maturing to do, but I think she'd be better than most give her credit for, if episodes like FttF, or Friends Forever 12 are anything to go by

4) Twilight - She's still does a lot for her kids, but she strikes me as one of those parents who makes grades a too high of a priority

5) Rarity - This is a hard one, she's the one character where its up in the air as far as being a mom goes, she doesn't hate kids, but I don't know if she'd make a good mom

6) Pinkie Pie - That kid is gonna have the worst eating habits ever

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Well Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie have already demonstrated their skill with kids, and I guess Applejack has because of Apple Bloom  so I'd put them high up. Twilight's taken good care of Spike but she seems very busy most of the time. Rainbow Dash would probably be ok too, though I feel she wouldn't want to be held down by having kids. I don't think Rarity would be too good at it nor would she want to be a mother anyway.

Considering all that I would say:

1. Applejack

2. Fluttershy

3. Twilight

4. Pinkie Pie

5. Rainbow Dash

6. Rarity

While I think we can agree none of them would be abusive/ all out neglectful to any children they have, some would make better mothers than others, so how would you rank them? Me?

1. Applejack.

2. Rarity.

3.Twilight.

4. Fluttershy.

5. Rainbow Dash.

6. Pinkie Pie.

Applejack is number one due to her being so responsible in helping to raise AB and all her other chores.

Pinkie Pie is at the bottom due to how she's still quite immature and easily gets distracted.

>Has Rarity as a profile pic

>Places her second

100% not biased.

Anyways, I think AJ and Fluttershy would do a good job at being a mother. The other four - not so much.

Why Pinkie Pie in last position? Every baby that has appeared, she's taken care of them and proven she was rather quite competent, too. Even the Cakes babies eventually behaved. Flurry Hearts immediately took a liking to her too. She's more caring than some might give her credit for, and can be serious/mature when she really has too. Parasprites for example.

I don't really have a ranking for most, as it all comes with experience. Some wouldn't struggle all that much, the others would a bit more as it'd be new to them. Oh well, let's make one based on how they'd struggle at first then:

1. Applejack has basically been a mother to Applebloom for some time.

2. Fluttershy has proven herself as well, even with her brother.
3. Pinkie I've addressed.

4. Twilight who has been raising Spike for a long time, even though it's more of a sibling relationship than a mother-child one.

5. Rarity has Sweetie Belle but suffers from a bit of egotism...

6. Rainbow Dash had no one, is quite selfish and self-centered, but is shown to care a great deal and once she becomes attached, she'd do anything in her power. Tanks for the memories indeed.

Again, this is how they'd struggle at first. Rainbow Dash for instance would be somewhat lost and make a lot of mistake, but all with her child in mind. After being given proper guidance, she'd do just as great as the others.

Best

1. Applejack: The best mother. There really hasn't been much issues with her and Applebloom. She's a good balance of caring and discipline mother. I can imagine her getting married and having foals first. She inspires hardworking, discipline, but still be honest and caring. Also a great loving cook.

2. Rarity: She does seem somewhat keen on celebrating Sweetie Belle's birthday and taking care of her regularly. Her being a bit too busy and running many businesses could alienate her a bit but that could also provide some good education for the children and it could make them a bit independent. 

3. Twilight: Would have good intelligence. She would be the best educational influence towards her children which is very important. The type of discipline they learn won't be too harsh and be of higher learning. She will inspire lots of foals to take up a more bookish occupation. The main premise of her and her children would about being organized and tidy. Almost forgot to mention she has been raising Spike since his infancy though she does treat him like a slave... reason why she couldn't make it any higher.

4. Fluttershy: She's the most caring of them all but her need to discipline is weak. She would be walked all over her children. When she puts her hoof down she puts it down hard though and her caring attitude can put her to self-sacrificing states as she showed against the cockatrice and when her pets/friends are in danger. She would have the most experience in caring just that her discipline severely lacks.

6. Pinkie Pie: She would be the most fun parent around and since she is all about parties she would be able to treat her children and bring a lot of cheer into their childhood. She would give her children a lot of attention like Fluttershy but she wouldn't be the one they would run to when they have a boo boo and she just couldn't be taken very seriously or with responsibility. She still have some points that keeps her the second worst parent, her cooking is not that bad either. 

5. Rainbow Dash: Probably the worst of the mane six for taking care of children. The most side of her taking care of others was with Scootaloo and Tank. She seems to be a bit naive in understanding Tank's seasonal hibernation but with Scootaloo she seems to have it going steady though there was some hiccups. Since Rainbow Dash doesn't take care of Scootaloo occasionally though so all I could say is Rainbow Dash isn't a really good mother. 

Worst

Edited by cider float

1. Applejack - Like many have already said, she's gotten a very family-centric upbringing, and she's already a very parental figure to Applebloom.

2. Fluttershy - She's very caring and nurturing, but I suspect she might be guilty of being too soft at times.

3 - 4. I can't really decide if Twilight or Pinkie should go first, so I have to place them both here. Both have shown themselves to be responsible and caring when the occasion calls for it, but they both tend to get wrapped up in their own interests.

5. Rarity - While she visibly cares for Sweetie Belle deeply and is sometimes seen to take a parental role for her, she is very career-oriented and at times has shown pretty skewed priorities.

6. Rainbow Dash - While I don't doubt RD's good intentions, I can't see her having the kinda patience that is required of taking care of a child 24/7. She might be a better sports coach or big sister figure.

Mind you, all of these only apply to the characters AT PRESENT. They might all be very different a few years down the line after they've had the chance to mature and fulfill their own goals.

• Brohoof 1

Most are going with AJ as number 1 which does make sense but I am going a bit differently:

1. Twilight - We have already seen her be incredibly calm and motherly with TWO baby ponies at once, so there is that. Twilight these days also seems quite organized and doesn't stress out as easily so I really feel like she could handle most issues. Unless it is an overpowered super baby like Flurry Heart.

2. Applejack - Most reasons everyone has stated hold very true to AJ. Her upbringring, her pretty much raising Apple Bloom on her own and so on.

3. Fluttershy - A Kind and caring pony that can handle even the most ferocious of beasts, she could handle kids well. Just hope she musters up enough assertiveness to do discipline when needed.

4. Rarity - I actually think Rarity would make a pretty solid mother, the only things that could get in the way are her business which is large now and perhaps how she would deal with the more icky parts of parenthood. :P

5. Rainbow Dash - With her current incarnation, I think RD has enough maturity overall to get the job done, but she doesn't have a lot of other qualities that convinces me, so she is low on the list.

6. Pinkie Pie - Haven't exactly seen too much improvement in this area for Pinkie since her disaster with the Baby Cakes. Pinkie to me could possibly make a good foalsitter at this point but not perhaps a fulltime mother.

• Brohoof 1

1. Applejack

2. Pinkie Pie

3. Twilight

4. Fluttershy

5. Rarity

6. Rainbow Dash

Applejack and Pinkie Pie are the most experienced with children, Twilight is the most responsible and organized and is sort of a maternal figure to Spike. Fluttershy has experience with animals, which doesn't translate perfectly into child-rearing. Rarity is a bit egotistical and wouldn't like all the dirty things that come along with raising a child (messes, dirty diapers), and Rainbow Dash is still a little too impulsive and immature to be a good mother.

In my opinion, AJ would be the only good parent: 

AJ for obvious reasons, as her honesty, her patience, her hard-working mentality and how she basically is already a mother of Applebloom.

Fluttershy would be too kind, and this could go horribly wrong and give her child everything it asks for, making it think it can do whatever it wants... and if not, it would also get as nervous and shy as fluttershy, which would be pretty bad.

The reason for Twilight as bad parent in my opinion would be her role as a princess. She would just have too much on her mind and would have nearly no time for her child. She also would have to give up her books to have at least some time for her kid.

Rarity would just be way too busy with all of her work, and the shops he has opened already. Her job consists of designing and keeping her shops running, which takes way too much time

Yeah, Pinkie Pie would probably just make too many parties and give her child too many candies instead of raising it and then add her weird family.

Rainbow Dash doesn't have the patience and the skills for being a good parent in my opinion. We also saw the disaster with Tank...

Baby cakes. End of that episode. She was very level headed then.

Ooookay, now I'm really confused.

Twilight never interacted with the Cake twins in Baby Cakes. She stopped by briefly, subtly insulted Pinkie, and Pinkie subsequently threw her out. After that, she didn't appear in the episode again. 

I still rate Twilight highly because of the terrific job she's done in bringing Spike up. But she's certainly never cared for two baby ponies at once, at least not in the show. 

• Brohoof 1

1. Fluttershy

2. Applejack

3. Twilight

4. Pinkie Pie

5. Rarity

6. Rainbow Dash

Fluttershy might have some initial trouble because Applejack beats her out in terms of experience in basically being Applebloom's substitute parent but after the initial hurtle she would be a great mom to our HER . . . children.  :lie:   :okiedokieloki:

1. Applejack- caring, loving, endearing, provides, strong, protective, willful, and confident. Pretty much what makes her the most qualified as running the farm+family is an ever endearing task.

2. Fluttershy- sweet, tender, kind-hearted, nurturing and alert. A very great caretaker with animals give her an upper hoof with babies.

3. Pinkie Pie- fun, energetic, happy and playful. Playful mother at best whom also can go great lengths to make sure everything goes smooth.

4. Twilight- resourceful, smart, attentive, knowledgeable and responsible. She can read a whole book about motherhood and apply it in real time but it's where her heart is that matters.

5. Rarity- organized, contempt, understanding and independent. Patience is key and I believe that Rarity can accommodate her schedule in her career.

6. Rainbow Dash- eager, focused and determined. She can guide and help her young to be the best that they can be.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Applejack, she's already a (kind of) a parent, she raised Applebloom and did a good job.

Fluttershy, she has a nurturing nature and after her recent development she's also able to give tough love. She'd even probably be better than AJ, who knows?

Rainbow Dash, she's become kind of a maternal figure to Scootaloo, and she'd also be playful with her kids. She might get impatient a little fast though.

Twilight, she'd be mostly good but she'd get carried away trying to be the perfect parent, so she'd have to learn to relax and trust her instincts. Her experience with Starlight could be helping.

Rarity, she doesn't seem like the kind of pony who wants a family, but some of her experience with her little sister might help her a little.

Pinkie Pie, she has no experience with being a mentor or paternal figure, and she would get stressed pretty quickly. She'd have the hardest time being a mother.

I say a 6-way tie at ZERO. The show most certainly won't want to make an episode where any of the ponies have their own children.

Other than, of course, Pinkie Pie's foalsitting habits, which could be a little advantage.

1. Fluttershy. She's taken care of so many animals in her life, and she's just so kind and willing to stand up for creatures so small, so if I were born to one of the mane six, I'd prefer to be born to Fluttershy.

2. Applejack. Remember, we've NEVER seen her parents, so it's pretty clear Applebloom looks up to her as a mother figure.

3. Rainbow Dash. Over the seasons, she's learned a lot from her sisterlike friendship with Scootaloo, so trial and error could get her there. I can understand why people put her so low, but if she keeps evolving as a character, she might be higher on lists sometime.

4. Rarity. Rarity has Sweetie Belle looking up to her most of the time, but I think she's still too crazy for looking beautiful to be able to handle such task as taking care of a baby.

5. Twilight Sparkle. I know she's so organized and needs to find herself a prince, but we haven't seen her interact with younger ponies enough.

6. Pinkie Pie. I know she's babysitter for Pound and Pumpkin, but her first night taking on the job was pretty awful. Plus she is still pretty crazy.

Edited by Baby Flyer

1. Applejack.

2. Rarity.

3.Twilight.

4. Fluttershy.

5. Rainbow Dash.

6. Pinkie Pie.

Hey!  You stole my rankings!  ;)  Actually, I was kinda waffling between RD and PP for last place.  Both have experience with children, albeit in limited ways.

Edited by Mortar

• 3 months later...

I think rarity would make the best mother since she kinda already is one kind of motherly figure for sweetie Belle since she takes often care of her even when she doesn't really have to.

As far as other ponies go i dont really see them as same level as Rarity