Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which show could be an oppunent for mlp's quality today?

leonbrony17

I would say that Steven Universe does a pretty good job at similar things that MLP FIM does and than some.

Both cartoons are a mixture of slice of life, with fantasy elements, that focus on character relationships and development, and use catchy songs and musical numbers to help this out sometimes.

Steven Universe benefits from being rated TVPG instead of TVY7, which allows it to topical deeper subjects that FIM is allowed to cover.

Not only that but another huge point in its favor is that SU is a creator driven show with a beginning, middle, and end in mind.

That involves a much more controlled and consistent vision of what the show is like, and generally involves many of the same people staying for the duration of the series that helps with this, unlike FIM which has writers being brought in and dropped all the time nowadays, and how there isn't really an end goal in mind for it, which may lead to the show losing steam.

As far as TV shows that are still running and not in danger of being cancelled, Steven Universe is the only one that comes to mind.  I don't watch Star vs, but I guess that would also count.  I also would have mentioned Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder, though as I mentioned in the first sentence, they're disqualified as they aren't running anymore.

When I think of good modern cartoons, in my head I think of a "Holy Trinity", which consists of MLP, Gravity Falls, and Steven Universe. Those seem to be the most well known.  Though I haven't watched Steven Universe, Gravity Falls is honestly in my opinion better written and produced then MLP, though something about MLP still makes me like it more.

Star vs the Forces of Evil seems to be gaining popularity, so it may join the trinity in the future, but as of now I personally don't think it's as good as MLP, though it's still pretty darn good.

As far as TV shows that are still running and not in danger of being cancelled, Steven Universe is the only one that comes to mind.  I don't watch Star vs, but I guess that would also count.  I also would have mentioned Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder, though as I mentioned in the first sentence, they're disqualified as they aren't running anymore.

The thing that holds back a lot of these shows is that the art style on them is just butt-ugly. I heard so much about gravity falls, went and looked at the trailer picture on amazon prime... and I thought, seriously?? I don't know if this is intentional or not (I wouldn't think it was but a lot of shows seem to have this problem for it to be a coincidence), but cartoons' art style just looks awful.

MLP is the only mainstream American cartoon I have seen that is actually beautiful. Call me closed-minded, but I don't want to watch gravity falls if it's as ugly as that trailer picture on amazon prime. It's just not worth it, when I can watch shows with ponies, and anime, and all sorts of other things that are not ugly. It's no wonder American kids grow up, see anime, and it's like a breath of fresh air.

Even steven universe has a terrible art style. I have heard it gets better, not sure because I haven't watched that many episodes. But I really don't think MLP has anything to worry about in regards to competition from American cartoons at the moment, when they seem to compete with each other about who can have the ugliest art style on their cartoon. Sorry if I am offending anyone who likes these shows, but even if you like them, I think you like them in spite of ​the art style. Everyone is different, and one or two people are going to honestly like the art style, but for most people, I think they would agree...

Tldr; No, My Little Pony has nothing to worry about. And I daresay the bronies that grow up to be animators will fix the problem with American Cartoons

Edited by trademark2