Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which movie could be a threat for the movie next year?

leonbrony17

The only thing coming out on the same day is Kingsman 2 and Blade Runner 2049, so I think MLP will do good. But it all depends on how it's advertised, because if it's not advertised a lot people won't see it and it will be a box office fail like Jem

Edited by Glencoco

The only thing coming out on the same day is Kingsman 2 and Blade Runner 2049, so I think MLP will do good. But it all depends on how it's advertised, because if it's not advertised a lot people won't see it and it will be a box office fail like Jem

Kingsman 2 comes out the week prior to the MLP Film's release in the UK, so I can catch both in a two week spell. Should be fun either way! :D

As far as I know, Jem failed because it was a bad movie :huh:. Well, with all the big shots involved, I think the movie quality is checked, now they need to make a good ad campaign 

Actually even though a movie is bad it doesn't mean it can still succeed at the box office, I mean look at the smurfs for example that movie was a horrendous piece of garbage that made 500 million dollars enough for a sequel which was just as worse and that one made 300 million, reason why is because they advertised the heck out of this film every where you see there where smurfs same for the movie minions, it's bad but so much advertising and put the characters everywhere and you got a box office success

This is the competition and damn does it look good.

The original is one of my favorite sci-fi movies and i am glad it's not just another remake.

• Brohoof 3

Jem failed because it sucked. I really can't think of anything big coming out next year except Wonder Woman.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Nothing, because there aren't any kids movies coming out around the time this is. If it kept it's original release date of November 6 then it would be a different story.

Wait wait wait! The movie's dropping on my birthday?!

A crappy 80s remake doesn't really qualify as "competition".

Also, it looks like it comes out a full month before the MLP movie, if the Pony movie is coming out in November.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in October, I have been mislead.... My mistake. But yeah, two different target audiences and demographics. I don't think they'll overlap much in terms of drawing people in, so it'll end up being two different crowds coming for two different experiences.

Edited by GlaciesFrost

A crappy 80s remake doesn't really qualify as "competition".

And you already know that it will be crappy? Besides, even if it is crappy, Nostalgia sells these days, considering Blade Runner has a big cult following.

Also, it's not a remake. It's a sequel. Did you watch the trailer?

And you already know that it will be crappy? Besides, even if it is crappy, Nostalgia sells these days, considering Blade Runner has a big cult following.

Also, it's not a remake. It's a sequel. Did you watch the trailer?

And that worked out so well for Robocop and Ghostbusters...

And that worked out so well for Robocop and Ghostbusters...

It worked well for Star Wars.

Besides, Ghostbusters was hated for completly other reasons, so don't try to compare Blade Runner with Ghostbusters.

And this Blade Runner is directed by Denis Villeneunive, who i will guarantee you, will soon become a household name in the movie world, considering the large potential he has. Not to mention that Ridley Scott himself will also be a producer.

It worked well for Star Wars.

Besides, Ghostbusters was hated for completly other reasons, so don't try to compare Blade Runner with Ghostbusters.

And this Blade Runner is directed by Denis Villeneunive, who i will guarantee you, will soon become a household name in the movie world, considering the large potential he has. Not to mention that Ridley Scott himself will also be a producer.

Blade Runner doesn't generate near the attention that Star Wars does. Looking on YouTube the trailer for 2049 doesn't have many views.

Also while I loved Arrival and Scario that doesn't mean Dennis will make a good film based off an unneeded idea.

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial

Also while I loved Arrival and Scario that doesn't mean Dennis will make a good film based off an unneeded idea.

Well, why do you make the same argument about the writer for the My little Pony Movie then?

While i liked Mulan and Toy Story 2, that dosen't mean Rita Hsiao will write a good movie out of it.

Also, the term "unneeded ideas" is incredibly subjective. Alot of people thought they didn't needed another MLP series, but here we are.

Well, why do you make the same argument about the writer for the My little Pony Movie then?

While i liked Mulan and Toy Story 2, that dosen't mean Rita Hsiao will write a good movie out of it.

Also, the term "unneeded ideas" is incredibly subjective. Alot of people thought they didn't needed another MLP series, but here we are.

Because there isn't the expectations of an 80s cult film holding it back.

Because there isn't the expectations of an 80s cult film holding it back.

What you are basically saying is, that it has nothing going for it. Blade Runner has a cult following for over 35 years and is one of the most praised sci-fi movies of all time. My Little Pony is merely an after thought compared to that.

What you are basically saying is, that it has nothing going for it. Blade Runner has a cult following for over 35 years and is one of the most praised sci-fi movies of all time. My Little Pony is merely an after thought compared to that.

Really? Because the original wasn't that great at the box office and I didn't even know it had a fanbase until recently.

Also you say that MLP is an afterthought but you're forgetting about Hasbro's willingness to market the sh*t out of it like they did for Transformers.

Really? Because the original wasn't that great at the box office and I didn't even know it had a fanbase until recently.

Also you say that MLP is an afterthought but you're forgetting about Hasbro's willingness to market the sh*t out of it like they did for Transformers.

Actually it did fairly respectable considering all things. It was up against not one, but two major films at the time. The first, Star Trek II, although opened up a few weeks earlier still had a lot of people going in to see it... the second was the number one movie of the year... a movie about a brown turd that is still one of the biggest movies of all time.. maybe you have heard of it... E.T.? That whole month it was conquering the box office with both new and repeat viewings. I think my sister alone saw it like 7 times.

Blade Runner was a relatively unknown film at the time, and did not have the advertising and the push these other films have. It basically got buried under them.

I want MLP to do well, but Blade Runner is going to curb stomp it at the box office next year... sorry. MLP will be relying on the fans of the franchise, parents just looking for a film to take their kids to and the stragglers who have already seen the other films at box office and are curious enough to give it a try. Blade Runner has both it's own fan base + every adult going to the theater for a movie to check out (the adult casual crowd). Your average Joe is NOT going to walk in to the MLP movie, no matter how good it is. It still has the kiddie stereotype to it being based on a toyline and as such a very large portion of the movie going audience is going to assume it is just that.. a movie for little kids.

I would love for MLP to be the big winner that week.. but I don't see it happening. Blade Runner will be a big budget sci-fi flick which lately do very well for the casual adult audience, on top of that it will be a sequel to a film people have been requesting a sequel to for years. Finally Harrison Ford will be in it, and for a lot of people, his name alone could get them to spend 2 hours in a theater watching him sit on the toilet while reading his grocery list aloud.

That being said, I would love to be wrong. Since I think it would be great for an MLP film to rule the box office for a week or two. But realistically... I don't see it happening.

• Brohoof 2

Who cares how it did back then? Blade Runner has a 35 years legacy, has 3 different movies versions, (theatrical 1982, Directors cut 1992, final cut 2007) inspired an entire generation of cyberpunk fanatics and is an incredible analysis on religion and philosophy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Themes_in_Blade_RunnerRead this.

Also, does hasbro wanna promote the movie, or rather the toys?