Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mlp Product Vectors

Foxy Socks

Yup, always noticed this as well. They seem to be done in an inferior style and then those are ready to be copied and pasted all over whatever product they make. That is a shame because there are literally thousands of vectors on the internet that they could freely use. *shrugs* Marketing makes no sense.

• Brohoof 1

I usually call this phenomenon "merch-face", as to which these low quality vectors are plastered everywhere into toys, books and other general MLP accessories. I just assumed that the vectors came from the original sketches from 2010 and the product designers just stick to these since then. Usually, Princess Celestia is the worst case of "merch-face" with very un-canon like vectoring and Princess Luna still isn't portrayed as "grown-up mare" yet since her reformation. Throughout it all though, most are pretty terrible and bad and yet there's no updated CMC vector showcasing their recent Season 5 cutie marks.

It's a little off putting to find these particular pieces of marketing and advertising done on a large scale but on the good side, I've been starting to see some really good vectors surfacing now. For example, the vectors in this particular 2017 MLP calendar looks up-to-par with the canon style, plus the black outlines looks fresh and different. I wouldn't mind this look if they somehow incorporate it to most of their marketing design sometime starting this year.

post-37469-0-63614000-1483266629_thumb.jpg

post-37469-0-81962400-1483266637_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty clean and I noticed some new poses in there too. The old, inaccurate and overly used vectors should be replaced to resemble something of quality, especially if the Movie where to be released later.

• Brohoof 2

Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed it most on the season 4 box set:

post-34886-0-70968200-1483270639_thumb.png

It's... odd; and not just because they're sparkling like bad vampires. They look like they've had a bit of eyeliner added, and along with the slightly off eyes and odd poses it does look rather off. 

They have always looked oddly clunky and 'sharp' (as in the curves on the hooves for example are sometimes much sharper than in the show) to me. The biggest thing that makes the image in the first post look really off is Fluttershy's eyes in my opinion. It's the way the iris occupies the whole eye, yikes.

And obviously that Pinkie and Rainbow seem to lack bodies.  :o

I find that most stock vectors used on MLP products usually look off. They look drawn a bit differently, like their eyes and muzzles, and general proportions look off.

Has anyone else noticed this?

A lot of the stock vectors are from very early stuff. That's why they look off and less refined. It seems they have been updating the vectors they use somewhat as new products come out.

The picture you posted is a vectorization of one of Lauren's early sketches of the Mane 6.

post-24370-0-81564800-1483300407.jpg

These early sketches of hers were also vectorized and the Pinkie, Twilight, and Applejack one show up all over the place even still today too.

post-24370-0-63206400-1483300467_thumb.jpg

The merchandise department is WAY behind. They've been using old generation MLP molds for the most part and just slapping the new cutie marks and manestyles on them. It's sad but it makes sense from a BUSINESS standpoint. :scots:  They've been doing that and the stuff's been selling. That's been one of my biggest peeves. The toys just look mutated since the heads are so off looking. It seems that they are just finally updating the regular toy's molds ALMOST 7 YEARS LATER. :dry:

Here's one of the newest things I've seen (on EQD) that is made properly. Rarity's head is BASED ON A SPHERE like is should be.

post-24370-0-13736500-1483300865_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cirrus.