Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do you not like Starlight Glimmer or why do you like her?

Tilgoreth

How you feel about Starlight Glimmer  

49 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like Starlight Glimmer?

• Yes I love my little Glim Glam!!!
    • No I hate her, she is pony Hitler!!!
    • No she is a cheap Sunset Shimmer ripoff!!!
    • I only liked her after season six finale or after No Second Prances/season six premiere.

Oh we stopped using the power Ranger emblems a while ago. No doubt Twilight would have come up with a daring plan and trixie would have some how redeemed herself if you took out starlight. 

Thorax role was vital I won't argue that. Starlight seemed so lost for most of it, not so much tragically but almost comically making it up as she went along. :)

But remember they put a lot of pressure on her to take charge, and lead, so you have to keep that in mind as well, she was nervous because she was involuntarily made a leader, and still she found her way.

There's no poll option to cover my complicated feelings about her, but I generally like her. She was a strong villain, she's reliably endearing in two-parters, and I respect her complexity. I think her reformation is fairly powerful, especially in abstract, and her character arc fills a widening hole in recent seasons where the mane six's development used to be (although they're getting better.) Her development is an intriguingly ambitious move for the show, and her social anxiety is pretty sympathetic and relatable.

It's just... the writers know they have to work hard to make the whole "learning basic decency" thing work, right? She doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes without help, and she doesn't have many distinguishing qualities otherwise. It's distracting, and for whatever reason her character arc doesn't flow properly, leaving it kinda jumpy and unsatisfying despite it seeming really good on paper and mostly working in the moment. I don't hate it like everyone else seems to, but sometimes I wonder of the writers bit off more than they could chew with her, given that her most stable appearances are also her most satisfying and fully realized. I hope for more like that in season 7.

• Brohoof 2

Sooo, just watched S06E21 and that episode is not helping to make me like Starlight. I totally agree with Dash "Don't cast spells on your friends"...well, at least not that kind of spells. If they agree to it you can do it, like that wing-spell Twilight used on Rarity or the cloud-walking spells.

I really hope the final of seaosn 6 will do a better job^^

and yes, I know that I'm slow^^ I usually watch new episodes the day they air but now I was lazy D: Well, at least I still have 5 "new" episodes to watch :D

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, MysticWolficorn said:

she got reformed way too easilly. 

This. 

But also they kinda patched it a bit better as episodes went on. At the time of the reveal of what happened to her I was like "that's ridiculous..." at the same time I have never had such a connection with someone but I have had some reactions to certain things that spanned for years and then came the realization. Those 180 changes are real and can happen but I agree that it was not well explained or developed to be justified. There should have been more of a motive. 

Aside from that, I love Starlight because she's chaotic and the one that's learning, she's the Twilight I was expecting to see from Twilight but more recless. Twi 2.0. but more level headed and ruthless when it comes to reality checks.

Edited by Ittoni

I like her because:

- The concept of her equality village was really interesting

- Her colors are really pretty

- Her emotional ties to magic are a neat part of her character

- Her friendship with Trixie makes for one of the best MLP friendships on the show