gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

(edited)

For anyone's convenience:

A bunch of new things in here. 250 screenshots to be exact.

Edited by FeIix
  • Brohoof 1

Of course not. Heaven forbid if they keep a character that requires some skill to play, and can wreck an entire battlefield if done right. Because, most people know how to play her...

At least Falco is gone...he's been bullshit since Melee.

Oh trust me, my argument has nothing to do with not being good with it(I'm actually fairly quite food with Jigglypuff.

As for Falco, no one has said he was cut yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was

Jigglypuff is one of the original 12 and has been in every entry thus far. I'll be shocked if Jigglypuff doesn't return.

Sakurai originally considered cutting Ness from Brawl and replacing him with Lucas, but Sakurai eventually changed his mind. Honestly, just because they're part of the original 12 doesn't necessarily excuse you from getting cut. It was a surprise to hear that he considered removing Ness considering he's really well liked among Smash fans(that and that Smash Bros is part of the reason Earthbound and the Mother series in general got more popular), on the other hand, people have been expecting Jigglypuff to be removed since Brawl, it was only included in the first two games because it was fairly popular in the TV show, but nowadays it's pretty irrelevant and not many people care about it anymore(which is in stark contrast to Lucario and Charizard, both of which are still considered some of the most popular Pokemon)

If they bring back Jigglypuff, then fine, but I'm not holding my breath

it's still rather baffling to me that Greninja is going to be a fighter in this game- I mean if you ask me, it's such a crazy choice. Then again, I'm not sure which Gen 6 Pokémon would be a better representitive since Greninja is rather special in some ways(hopefully they'll make some use of its Protean ability, for example), so it's cool I guess. I'm certainly looking forward to playing as him though. :)

screen-2.jpg

screen-9.jpg

Also, ZS Samus' rocket boots are kinda silly, just sayin'. :P

1Jpglpf.jpg

The game really looks super great though, both versions. Brawl was great looking already, but here they've really expanded well on the style by making it much cleaner(Wii U version) or more cartoony/expressive(3DS version). Love it. :)

• Brohoof 2

The best part about SSB4 is that we finally have a release date for both games!

The 3DS should be released sometime in summer.

While the Wii U sometime before the end of the year.

I'm excited to finally see these games in action!

When I saw the first silhouette'd shots of Greninja in the Direct, I was honestly expecting it to be Mega Mewtwo Y.  But hey, a new Pokémon works too.

Not crazy about Zero Suit Samus's new design.  The crazy stiletto rocket heels are particularly unusual (though a considerable improvement over the abominable platform heels she had in Other M).

Overall, the game's shaping up nicely.  Although, giving temporary bans to players who "relentless target a single opponent" or "self-destruct multiple times" is just...dumb.  I hope that only applies for the "For Fun" online mode.

A little disappointed we don't have specific release dates but at least we have a window now.  Plus I already planned to own both version and with them releasing separately, I don't need to drop that much money all at once.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Being super late, as usual, I just watched the smash direct; and I have to say, I'm pretty excited. And OMG: a smash bros. version of City Trial!? That's freaking amazing!  :o

Ahem... oh, and the characters look pretty nice. Not sure how I fell about Zero Suit Samus in rocket stilettos but, I do like that she's separate from regular Samus. Oh and Charizard's kinda cool too. Oh and the masterballs are pretty interesting, who doesn't love seeing a legendary pokemon wreck everyone after all?

I also like that they've embraced the more competitive side of the community with their final destination versions of stages and "for glory" mode and what not. 

But seriously, City Trial! That's too awesome. I wonder why that won't be on the Wii U version...  :huh:

Anyways, I must say, that I... I actually just might pick up a Wii U (way, way, waaaaaay down the line) just for this game. It looks pretty great on the Wii U. 

Oh, and Ike is in the game too. I don't know if anyone has mentioned that yet... 

• 3 weeks later...

See that look that Twilight Sparkle has in the banner of the forum right now?

That is the exact face I made seeing Palutena having been revealed. I know this is Sakurai's series, but I'd still rather him at least try to not blatantly pander to his current franchises.

I was okay with the extra Kirby characters in Brawl, because Kirby was a sizable enough franchise to deserve them (it certainly needed at least one more character), but Kid Icarus? It was revived after a couple of decades of complete obscurity, and for all we know - only for one game. There's no way that series needed another playable character.

*sigh* But everybody will eat it up, because 'moar female characterz'. As a girl, and even as a feminist, I can not advocate the addition of female characters just because they're female. Besides, who's clamoring for 'moar female characterz' the most (from my experience)? Adult/young adult males who are sexually attracted to them. >.>

I wish I could get over the addition of Palutena, but her along with the Mii pretty much cement certain roster leaks that are lame.

See that look that Twilight Sparkle has in the banner of the forum right now?

That is the exact face I made seeing Palutena having been revealed. I know this is Sakurai's series, but I'd still rather him at least try to not blatantly pander to his current franchises.

I was okay with the extra Kirby characters in Brawl, because Kirby was a sizable enough franchise to deserve them (it certainly needed at least one more character), but Kid Icarus? It was revived after a couple of decades of complete obscurity, and for all we know - only for one game. There's no way that series needed another playable character.

*sigh* But everybody will eat it up, because 'moar female characterz'. As a girl, and even as a feminist, I can not advocate the addition of female characters just because they're female. Besides, who's clamoring for 'moar female characterz' the most (from my experience)? Adult/young adult males who are sexually attracted to them. >.>

I wish I could get over the addition of Palutena, but her along with the Mii pretty much cement certain roster leaks that are lame.

I know it's not as extreme, but did we really need both Ness and Lucas in Brawl?  The Mother series isn't exactly big or recent.  Why do we have Ice Climbers?  Little Mac?  "Size" of a franchise isn't the best or only way to decide how many representatives (if any) a franchise gets.  How about whether or not the character could make an interesting addition to the cast?  Palutena could be really cool, so why exclude her because her resident franchise is too small or unknown?  I never played it myself, but from what I hear, Uprising was pretty well-received and continuing the reboot might not be a bad idea. (I agree it's kind of pandering to his franchise but I don't really have a personal problem with that)

Palutena almost certainly isn't being added for such an arbitrary reason as "she's female."  And if Samus, Peach, and Zelda were the only unambiguously female characters out of a cast of 35 characters on the selection screen (as was the case in Brawl I think, ofc Samus and Zelda are two in one on the selection screen), don't you think it's reasonable to want some gender diversity?  An overwhelmingly male cast is something I don't think you'd advocate.  Female characters added for any reason, even a legitimate one, would be eaten up because 'moar female characterz.'  (Is there some sort of a problem with guys being sexually attracted to females?  Serious question here, not trying to mansplain or w/e.  Being attractive doesn't delegitimize a char at all?  I see what you mean if a scantily-clad female char made especially for Smash were introduced, but this isn't that at all)

___

How about that E3 invitational though?  Final Smashes in action looked pretty hype.  I didn't really like the Yellow Devil in more chaotic four-player medium-items matches, but I thought it was fine in less crazy matches.  Looking forward to seeing a training montage of Reggie before he eventually plays against Hungrybox on the 3DS version.

I don't see anything wrong with Palutena, she was a really popular character in the game and looks like a competent fighter.I have no problem with adding more female charcters as long as they make sense(fairly popular, important characters in the games they're in)

Also just throwing this out there, Pac Man and Mr G&W are coming too

http://www.destructoid.com/pac-man-confirmed-for-super-smash-bros--276404.phtml

I so called Pac-man from way, way long ago. 

I actually didn't watch the tournament yet, guess I'll have to do that later. Really interested to see what the game looks like in action.

(edited)

Pac-Man was a given from the start considering that

a: BandaiNamco was confirmed to be developing this game.

b: A previous screenshot confirmed various classic Namco franchises

c: Pac-Man is much more recognized by the general public as opposed to other Namco franchises.

Also, playable Miis means I'm in the next Smash Bros.  MWA HA HA HA HA!

Edited by SaburoDaimando

Does anyone else like the idea of the Amiibo figures? I think it's pretty awesome that they did that, since back when I was playing SSB Melee as a kid I would have loved the figures from the opening cutscenes. It may be a good decade later, but I still want them! :P The individuality and customisation of stats is interesting, and makes it far better than franchises such as Skylanders and Disney Infinity!

I don't really care for Pac-man. Although it makes sense, since Namco Bandai is assisting in developing this, I felt this might have harmed the atmosphere of Smash in some way. I thought Sonic and Mega Man were nice additions, but Pac-man... I dunno, I'm probably just taking this too seriously.

I really like the Mii Fighters. It's a shame they won't be playable online, but I can see some sense in this; it would take away most of the purpose of playing as the actual fighters.

So far my thoughts on all the new characters thus far:

Villager- I'm not an Animal Crossing kinda guy, but his moveset interests me and I may use him often.

Wii Fit Trainer- I'm with the majority, not the biggest fan. But as they say, don't judge a book by its cover.

Mega Man- The only Mega Man games I've actually ever played and beat were part of the Star Force series. But Geo was incorporated into the FS so I'm happy.

Rosalina and Luma- I love her moveset, and her character. So I'm very happy about this.

Little Mac- I used to play a little Punch Out, but his moveset isn't as interesting as I'd like it to be.

Greninja- I LOVE Pokemon. Enough said. :P

Paluteba- Kid Icarus: Uprising is possibly my favorite Nintendo game (besides Smash) at the moment. I also think they handled her well.

Mii Fighters- I'm indifferent.

Pac-Man- Not a fan of the character, but I am a fan of how they incorporated other classical video games in his moveset.

I honestly cringed when I found out mii fighters were a thing. I hate Miis so much. If I never see a mii ever again, it would be too soon. /venting

On the subject of Palutena: yeah, I don't really care for her. Partly because I don't really care for Kid Icarus and partly because I have absolutely no idea what was going on in that trailer showcasing her. She calls out the name of all the attacks and I'm still kind of lost.

I, on the other hand, am super happy to see Miis as a playable character.  Nobody could ever be a cooler character than myself.

The only thing that concerns me is that I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of people playing as Goku Miis now.  And then Salty Bets replaces M.U.G.E.N. with Smash for its stream.

But I also don't really care about Palutena.  Pac-Man is cool though.  Now all 4 of classic gaming's biggest mascots are in one game.

While I probably shouldn't hope too hard, my heart still cried for Wolf O'Donnell to be included. He was easily my favorite character from Brawl and to see him not in it would make me sad. :(

However, I will still get the game regardless. The fact that Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-man are all on it just screams CLASSIC, IMO. Now, if only they could get Rayman and Bomberman, then we're set!

The only newcomer I'm actually really excited for is Villager. Villager is the also the only newcomer out of any revealed that I even wanted to begin with.

The pretty much now confirmed leak brings one more character I wanted into the mix, but not any of the ones I REALLY wanted. =(

I still have the game, but my internet fails on my Wii.  I am trying to asses the problem and fix it as soon as I can.

I'm best with ROB.   B)

Hate to break it to you, but there isn't a problem with your internet or your Wii; online play for Wii and DS titles was discontinued last month.