Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Overwatch's 'Symmetra' confirmed as Autistic

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

20823568_overwatch_symmetragameplayprevi

In a rather interesting turn of events, Jeff Kaplan, the lead game director for the game Overwatch, has confirmed that one of the game's heroes, specifically Symmetra, is on the Autism Spectrum. Originally hinted heavily at in a comic revolving around her, a fan wrote Jeff to ask about it personally for confirmation. He indeed confirmed this, stating that she is  a favorite among the development team and that she can do things other characters could never do.

Here is the letter itself:

post-8308-0-62535000-1489269894_thumb.jpg

This is a very interesting idea. Symmetra is not the character I would have guessed for this, not sure who would have been a good guess, but I did not expect her. What are your thoughts on this?

Being a person that is also autistic, I actually really like how they went about this. While some other characters in the game have to beat you over the head with their defining personality trait, like D.va for example, this particular thing seems to be handled in a far more subtle way, which I very much respect. Instead of making her character be revolved around one big thing, this adds depth and diversity to her even more. Instead of hindering her story, it can expand it. Plus, it actually gives me a sense of joy knowing I can relate to the character in this way, even if I am definitely not some super genius. I am more quirky and weird if anything. :|

• Brohoof 6

This is actually the first I've heard of this and I'm actually really glad to hear it. I have Autism myself and I know that people with mental conditions aren't often featured in games unless they're some kind of stereotypical psychopath. And the great part is without hearing about it I would've never guessed Symmetra is autistic, their subtle representation of this fact is great. Just because someone has a mental handicap does not mean they act radically different to other people or are high on that spectrum. As someone who has been dealing with issues revolving around these mental problems (I even recently posted in the life advice section seeking help about this subject so I find it extremely ironic I stumbled on this post.) It's good to see games and media treating this kind of thing with respect and if it went more public it might help benefit society somehow. It's a long stretch but hey, someone might learn something.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 4

Well, it is nothing new that Blizzard added wide variety of characters in Overwatch and at this point almost everyone got his representative in game. For me it... didn't matter much. Like, I am glad all the people have someone to look upon and say the character is "just like them!". It is one great thing to see, especially when there are many role models in the game. Like, let's take for example Zaria. we got here a woman that isn't considered "cute", but instead is very tough and heroic. That's something not often seen among characters in games I played. There's Mei, who.. I don't even know if is chubby or not, but still it is a change from overly "slim" characters. Now there's Symmetra with confirmed autism, that even if have different morals than I have still acts with good intentions. Or Ana of Egyptian origin, a positive character, a hero that is of a nation currently rather... disliked among many in real life. 

And all this are just examples. Overall I approve of Blizzard's steps about Overwatch lore and from what I see most do. Some of course complain, but... You can't satisfy everyone :P

With this being said...

Nerf Symmetra

lel

I basically agree with Vulon I think its a publicity thing, just like when they censored(reduced or smoothed idk lol) Tracer's butt due to literally one complaint. A complaint they could've easily had their staff or someone else intentionally submit. Then it ended up on gaming news headlines, everyone heard about it.

Now OverWatch has more female gamers than alot of other games I hear. Idk if its related, but I also heard tumblr had more females, and that tumblr is kinda into identity politics stuffs. So it seems to be related, but its not definitive proof.

So, with such a large demographic, its in their best interests to do as much pandering as possible.

Also partially related 

Apparently its the sumowatch app or something he did the wrong one but, same idea really.

I think that people can be prone to confirmation bias, so enabling it, like the identity politics stuff, causes more people to get into the product. But also, if people are proud of themselves, they speak more(free advertising, like friendship lol), if disappointed in the game not ranking them up yet they complain about it more (free advertising). And studies have shown anger is more relevant to speaking up about something. 

And don't want to be rude but sjws are motivated by anger. (heck skeptics can be too)

Also the psychology does say that aspies and autistic have a higher chance of getting angry. 

Its just identity politics for profit.

Also, it inspired loyalty through relatability through just declaring she is autistic, but does she really have traits of autism from a psychological perspective? I have no idea. They could've just made it up recently, then make a video later to confirm it, idk. 

It could be they had it in mind since inception due to marketing staff giving them the Tracer butt idea since inception, so it also could be intentional and she could be autistic, or it was just so successful they decided to branch out more for more money.

But theres also the chance I am using confirmation bias some. *going too meta now time to stop lol*

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 1

We have Tracer confirmed to have a girlfriend, and now Symmetra is on the Autism Spectrum. I'm not sure if Blizzard needs to be going down this rabbit hole.

Not to sound like a jerk, but the hell does this mean?

Why can't people have characters confirmed as a minority or having a disability without people thinking it's some sort of "SJW fanservice"?

A black woman: *gives birth to a child missing a leg*

You guys: Nice SJW fanservice... smh

I wish my mental illnesses/disabilities could safely be represented through fictional characters without this kind of response from people like you.

Why can't people have characters confirmed as a minority or having a disability without people thinking it's some sort of "SJW fanservice"?

I wish my mental illnesses/disabilities could safely be represented through fictional characters without this kind of response from people like you.

It feels like Blizzard is trying tread a line they need to be very careful with.

Oh and by the way:

I have Aperger's, and I don't necessarily "need" a character to represent me.

You don't speak for the rest of the people with Aspergers, I'm sorry to say

I wish for us to be treated as normal, and Blizzard casually putting in an Autistic character is doing just that, thank you very much.

• Brohoof 2

sig-4830465.20823568_overwatch_symmetrag

In a rather interesting turn of events, Jeff Kaplan, the lead game director for the game Overwatch, has confirmed that one of the game's heroes, specifically Symmetra, is on the Autism Spectrum. Originally hinted heavily at in a comic revolving around her, a fan wrote Jeff to ask about it personally for confirmation. He indeed confirmed this, stating that she is  a favorite among the development team and that she can do things other characters could never do.

Here is the letter itself:

This is a very interesting idea. Symmetra is not the character I would have guessed for this, not sure who would have been a good guess, but I did not expect her. What are your thoughts on this?

Being a person that is also autistic, I actually really like how they went about this. While some other characters in the game have to beat you over the head with their defining personality trait, like D.va for example, this particular thing seems to be handled in a far more subtle way, which I very much respect. Instead of making her character be revolved around one big thing, this adds depth and diversity to her even more. Instead of hindering her story, it can expand it. Plus, it actually gives me a sense of joy knowing I can relate to the character in this way, even if I am definitely not some super genius. I am more quirky and weird if anything. :|

Dynamo Pad told me the other day, and at first I was unsure if it was true, but then remembering how Tracer is a lesbian, it made sense. Also your Autistic, Kyoshi? I honestly couldn't tell :)

• Brohoof 1

You don't speak for the rest of the people with Aspergers, I'm sorry to say

I wish for us to be treated as normal, and Blizzard casually putting in an Autistic character is doing just that, thank you very much.

If you have to make such a big deal about it, then it never will happen.

If you have to make such a big deal about it, then it never will happen.

i've been sitting here trying to decode what this means and how it relates to literally anything i've said and i can't do it

you win

It feels like Blizzard is trying tread a line they need to be very careful with.

Oh and by the way:

Maybe you don't, but some people do, that's why Blizzard doing this is a good thing.

• Brohoof 2

I would think it's pretty nice to see Blizzard try to represent other people in their champions, as long as they don't tread into actual "special snowflake" territory. Symmetra's autism shouldn't be the prime defining trait in her personality.

• Brohoof 1

Also your Autistic, Kyoshi? I honestly couldn't tell :)

It is one of those things that cannot be easily detected on the internet, far from it actually. The internet is a magical veil like that, even if parts of my quirky personality and my anxiety shows up from time to time. Talking with me in person though, that is a different story. It would seem quite obvious after just one face-to-face conversation with me I bet.

• Brohoof 2

It is one of those things that cannot be easily detected on the internet, far from it actually. The internet is a magical veil like that, even if parts of my quirky personality and my anxiety shows up from time to time. Talking with me in person though, that is a different story. It would seem quite obvious after just one face-to-face conversation with me I bet.

True enough, though a lot of people who knew me irl wasn't able to tell. It took an old friend's mum to tell that I have Aspergers, because her son who was my friend has it, just..a fair bit worse than I do.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

With me believing pretty strongly I have Asperger's, this is a great thing (I heard it about a week and a half ago as well, but didn't see this thread). Blizzard has gone pretty well out of their way to have a fairly representative cast. Having a confirmed lesbian, an autistic girl, and now recently a South African robot (she got her first pro match today).

Edited by Nerdy Luigi