Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Questions about Alicorns

Mysterycat

Hi, I was thinking a bit about Alicorns and I have a few questions.

1. "The Crystalling" confirmed that no Alicorn was born in Equestria before, so that means Celestia and Luna are either not born Alicorns or they're not from Equestria. So how did they become Alicorns and/or where are they from? They didn't rule the land before it was Equestria when Clover the Clever was around (which I think was about three millennia ago) so were they in another land or were they just not born yet? Who are their parents?
  2. Why do Celestia and Luna have wavy hair but Cadence, Twilight and Flurry Heart don't? Also, why do Celestia, Luna and Cadence have square faces and are much taller and thinner than most ponies, however, Twilight has the same build and Flurry Heart is just like a regular baby but with huge wings? I noticed that Twilight's wings are bigger than Rainbow Dash's so do all Alicorns have bigger wings than pegasi?
  3. Can Alicorns walk on clouds like the Pegasi do?
  4. When all the Pegasi were making a tornado in "Hurricane Fluttershy", did the Alicorns join in too? What about baby Pegasi who could fly like Pound Cake? Did Scootaloo join?
  5. Can Alicorns get the feather flu?
  6. Who was the Alicorn princess who drank the "love poison"?
  • Brohoof 1

1. We dont know how they became alicorns

2. They can move the sun and moon respectivly and that makes their hair wavy and are over a thousand years old plus alicorn wings are bigger than pegasi wings

3. Probably

4. No. and No it would be too dangerous for young filles and colts. Plus scootaloo cant fly as of the time this was posted

5.Probably

6. I dont remember probably cadance because shes the princess of love

• Brohoof 1

1. They are not from Equestria, if we are talking about Equestria as a country founded by the three tribes. See The Journal of the Two Sisters: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_the_Two_Sisters
2. It probably has something to do with age and accumulated powers, but I don't think it's ever been confirmed in the show.
3. Most likely - alicorns combine the powers of all 3 pony kinds, cloud-walking must be one of them.
4. No.
5. Maybe.
6. Her name wasn't mentioned in the episode.

• Brohoof 1

41 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:

1. "The Crystalling" confirmed that no Alicorn was born in Equestria before, so that means Celestia and Luna are either not born Alicorns or they're not from Equestria. So how did they become Alicorns and/or where are they from? They didn't rule the land before it was Equestria when Clover the Clever was around (which I think was about three millennia ago) so were they in another land or were they just not born yet? Who are their parents?

Go watch the brony notion video. I like his head canon of it.

42 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:
  1. Why do Celestia and Luna have wavy hair but Cadence, Twilight and Flurry Heart don't? Also, why do Celestia, Luna and Cadence have square faces and are much taller and thinner than most ponies, however, Twilight has the same build and Flurry Heart is just like a regular baby but with huge wings? I noticed that Twilight's wings are bigger than Rainbow Dash's so do all Alicorns have bigger wings than pegasi?

Twilight is artifical

43 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:
  1. Can Alicorns walk on clouds like the Pegasi do?

I think so. Their part Pegasus

44 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:
  1. When all the Pegasi were making a tornado in "Hurricane Fluttershy", did the Alicorns join in too? What about baby Pegasi who could fly like Pound Cake? Did Scootaloo join?

No. Alicorns are not pegasi. And it would be to dangerous.

46 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:
  1. Can Alicorns get the feather flu?

Maybe. They hsve feathers, so I would say yes.

47 minutes ago, Mysterycat said:
  1. Who was the Alicorn princess who drank the "love poison"?

Amore?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Oleks said:

1. They are not from Equestria, if we are talking about Equestria as a country founded by the three tribes. See The Journal of the Two Sisters: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/The_Journal_of_the_Two_Sisters
2. It probably has something to do with age and accumulated powers, but I don't think it's ever been confirmed in the show.
3. Most likely - alicorns combine the powers of all 3 pony kinds, cloud-walking must be one of them.
4. No.
5. Maybe.
6. Her name wasn't mentioned in the episode.

2. Come to think of it, Sombra has the wavy mane/tail, too (of course, he's some kind of Aku-like shadow god, so there's that).

3. Essentially the Red Mages (Final Fantasy) of Ponykind.

Edited by A.V.

3 hours ago, Mysterycat said:
  • "The Crystalling" confirmed that no Alicorn was born in Equestria before, so that means Celestia and Luna are either not born Alicorns or they're not from Equestria. So how did they become Alicorns and/or where are they from? They didn't rule the land before it was Equestria when Clover the Clever was around (which I think was about three millennia ago) so were they in another land or were they just not born yet? Who are their parents?
  •  

Amy Keating Rogers was asked by Hasbro to write a little backstory that covers this called the Journal of the Two Sisters. She received some guidance from Faust before hoping to reconcile a few inconsistencies from the unification of the Three Pony Tribes into Equestria and how that tied into the the Royal Sisters . The JotTS does fix some issues. The Royal sisters were part of a larger Alicorn Tribe. They were asked to rule during this time frame. 

• Why do Celestia and Luna have wavy hair but Cadence, Twilight and Flurry Heart don't? Also, why do Celestia, Luna and Cadence have square faces and are much taller and thinner than most ponies, however, Twilight has the same build and Flurry Heart is just like a regular baby but with huge wings? I noticed that Twilight's wings are bigger than Rainbow Dash's so do all Alicorns have bigger wings than pegasi?
  •  

It could be just different body types that exist with Alicorns like to do with other races. For example, some of the unicorns also have a different body type from the typical unicorn. Compare Sassy Saddles and Fleur de Lis to Rarity and Starlight. Sassy is more angular. As of now I am assuming that some of the Alicorns are like this too. Another thought is that born vs ascended may have to do with body type.Twilight did get taller when she was transformed. Yet another (hinted in the comics) is that age and magical strength has to do with this as well. Notable examples are Luna's younger appearance, and the Celestia's evolving mane. 

• Can Alicorns walk on clouds like the Pegasi do?
  •  

Yes, as seen in Sonic Rainboom (S1E16)

Princess_Celestia_and_her_guards_S1E16.p

• When all the Pegasi were making a tornado in "Hurricane Fluttershy", did the Alicorns join in too? What about baby Pegasi who could fly like Pound Cake? Did Scootaloo join?
  •  

Unpacking this one. 

They have not been shown as joining in, though it is possible they could if they desired. Note that having Alicorn wings does not automatically make one a fast flyer (Cadance was out of practice due to her duties), but they could contribute. I doubt that babies would be allowed to participate due to possible injury and lack of proper flight training and technique. Scootaloo was not shown to be flying in that episode. Scootaloo can barely fly and seems to be capable of quick bursts of hover based movements or very short near ground movements. Plus her flying in that episode would have had a limiting impact on the moral behind Fluttershy's contribution. 

• Can Alicorns get the feather flu?
  •  

We know Alicorns are not immune from illness, so it is possible, but unconfirmed in show or comic. 

1. Who was the Alicorn princess who drank the "love poison"?

We don't know. 

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Jeric said:

Amy Keating Rogers was asked by Hasbro to write a little backstory that covers this called the Journal of the Two Sisters. She received some guidance from Faust before hoping to reconcile a few inconsistencies from the unification of the Three Pony Tribes into Equestria and how that tied into the the Royal Sisters . The JotTS does fix some issues. The Royal sisters were part of a larger Alicorn Tribe. They were asked to rule during this time frame. 

It could be just different body types that exist with Alicorns like to do with other races. For example, some of the unicorns also have a different body type from the typical unicorn. Compare Sassy Saddles and Fleur de Lis to Rarity and Starlight. Sassy is more angular. As of now I am assuming that some of the Alicorns are like this too. Another thought is that born vs ascended may have to do with body type.Twilight did get taller when she was transformed. Yet another (hinted in the comics) is that age and magical strength has to do with this as well. Notable examples are Luna's younger appearance, and the Celestia's evolving mane. 

Yes, as seen in Sonic Rainboom (S1E16)

Princess_Celestia_and_her_guards_S1E16.p

Unpacking this one. 

They have not been shown as joining in, though it is possible they could if they desired. Note that having Alicorn wings does not automatically make one a fast flyer (Cadance was out of practice due to her duties), but they could contribute. I doubt that babies would be allowed to participate due to possible injury and lack of proper flight training and technique. Scootaloo was not shown to be flying in that episode. Scootaloo can barely fly and seems to be capable of quick bursts of hover based movements or very short near ground movements. Plus her flying in that episode would have had a limiting impact on the moral behind Fluttershy's contribution. 

We know Alicorns are not immune from illness, so it is possible, but unconfirmed in show or comic. 

We don't know. 

How do we know that Alicorns are not immune from illness? Was there an episode where one got sick?

Well, others have covered most of what I was planning to say.. It's my Head Canon that Sombra was the love poisoned Prince from that incident.  I think this contradicts the comics but IMO they aren't totally canon

On 4/15/2017 at 3:57 PM, Mysterycat said:

2. Why do Celestia and Luna have wavy hair but Cadence, Twilight and Flurry Heart don't? Also, why do Celestia, Luna and Cadence have square faces and are much taller and thinner than most ponies, however, Twilight has the same build and Flurry Heart is just like a regular baby but with huge wings? I noticed that Twilight's wings are bigger than Rainbow Dash's so do all Alicorns have bigger wings than pegasi?
  3. Can Alicorns walk on clouds like the Pegasi do?
  4. When all the Pegasi were making a tornado in "Hurricane Fluttershy", did the Alicorns join in too? What about baby Pegasi who could fly like Pound Cake? Did Scootaloo join?
  5. Can Alicorns get the feather flu?
  6. Who was the Alicorn princess who drank the "love poison"?

#1: I think this is a matter of semantics. In so much as Luna/Celestia didn't come from Eqestria.

#2: I have thought about it. So a few points to be made.

A: Cadence does not have wavy power hair.

B: Cadence is in fact the same overall size and shape as Flu de lease. (To the point that they are in fact.. pallet swaps)

- This is not that odd. Sense Cadence just seams to be large for a pony. In the same way that Big Mac and Shining Armor are REALLY big or a stallion. (The same size as Cadence in face, at least in height)

-The wings are also interesting, because not only are they larger. They are also built different. Pegasis wings are "Sparrow Wings" - As suppose to Alicorn wings with have a two parted arc, or "Gull wing" shape. This makes perfect sense, sparrows are small birds. Gull wings are found in basically every large flying bird. All the Alicorns have slight variations on each others wings. (Luna's are more articulated like a bats, but still feathered, Celestia has HUGE feather length)

4: Well it should be noted. That in hurricane fluttershy only ponies from Ponyville where trying to make it. Thus none of the Alicorns would have showed up anyways. (I don't think twilight was a alicorn at that point right?"

5: Maybe? I mean if they can catch normal pony sicknesses at all I would say yes.

6: We don't know.. but maybe Cadence?