Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Specials DVD + Synopses

PinkiePie97

11 minutes ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

They do that over everything over there, /mlp/ is infested with shitposters to the point where it's impossible to tell if any opinion seemingly positive or negative is a real one at this point, everyone is just trying to get a rise out of someone at this point.

It's strange if you look at their post episode polls the average /mlp/ user is apparently WAAAYYYYY more positive than it would seem from reading /mlp/

Can i Just add I really don't get why the fandom was so easily able to fall in love with Sunset after ONE good movie.... while the next 2 were meh with Sunset herself getting blander by the movie.. but seemingly no amount of good appearances can make Starlight less controversal, it makes no goddamn sense.Like Jesus how does Sunset maintain her popularity almost entirely off Rainbow Rocks seemingly forever? 

I thought she was very good in Legend of everfree. While I disliked her in FG, I found her sliding into the mentor/leader role in LOE to work well, especially as a more hands off type leader.

3 minutes ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I thought she was very good in Legend of everfree. While I disliked her in FG, I found her sliding into the mentor/leader role in LOE to work well, especially as a more hands off type leader.

I thought she was at her most boring in LEgends of Everfree, pure S4 Twilight, just a perfect friendship master mentor who's better at freindship in every way than everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

I thought she was at her most boring in LEgends of Everfree, pure S4 Twilight, just a perfect friendship master mentor who's better at freindship in every way than everyone else. 

That's how I feel about her too. While I like Starlight in S7 more than that, I honestly don't feel like she has all that much more personality, which makes me a bit less enthusiastic about her increasing prevalence. Mild snark and bad decision making don't really comprise a fun, unique character to me, and I worry about her increasing confidence because that's exactly what went wrong with Sunset and Twilight, even if she's still more flawed than either of those two. 

2 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

That's how I feel about her too. While I like Starlight in S7 more than that, I honestly don't feel like she has all that much more personality, which makes me a bit less enthusiastic about her increasing prevalence. Mild snark and bad decision making don't really comprise a fun, unique character to me, and I worry about her increasing confidence because that's exactly what went wrong with Sunset and Twilight, even if she's still more flawed than either of those two. 

I actually think S7 Starlight is pretty damn good so far, she's still pretty flawed and makes stupid choices but it's not ALWAYS the focus, which is fine. I like seeing Starlight in the context of the Rock Solid Friendship too, she'd also get boring if EVERY major appearance of hers was "Starlight fucks up and has to unfuck it". Plus Discord already fills THAT role since frankly he's REALLY hard to have in other roles since he's so mind bendingly broken.

Plus she's literally going to fuck up massively in like 5 episodes to the point people are ALREADY butthurt about it, so yeah.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

I actually think S7 Starlight is pretty damn good so far, she's still pretty flawed and makes stupid choices but it's not ALWAYS the focus, which is fine. I like seeing Starlight in the context of the Rock Solid Friendship too, she'd also get boring if EVERY major appearance of hers was "Starlight fucks up and has to unfuck it". Plus Discord already fills THAT role since frankly he's REALLY hard to have in other roles since he's so mind bendingly broken.

Plus she's literally going to fuck up massively in like 5 episodes to the point people are ALREADY butthurt about it, so yeah.

I think I'd prefer a third option. I found her rather boring in "All Bottled Up" entirely because I'm getting bored with her bad decision making, and while "Rock Solid Friendship" is an okay antodote, I just didn't find her presence lively or distinctive enough there. Not sure I'd be as bothered by it if it weren't universally praised, just sort of want something more from her. 

I just can't think of what Starlight would bring which is unique to the series beyond her fuck ups. Last season it was constant self-doubt and anxiety, which is also what used to set Sunset apart, and without anxiety or fuck ups she sort of just feels like a watered down Twilight with a dull outcast complex. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

6 hours ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

Well since the first special seems to be Rarity's, I hope they actually give Sunny Flare even the slightest bit of characterization this time since she is SUPPOSED to be her shadowbolt counter part but she only had one line in Friendship Games. 

The first one, I'm not that excited, apart of the Shadowbolt's return, which I hope they get some more characterization, specially Lemon Zets (who was a one-scene wonder), and Sunny Flare for......... JUST BEING THE SECOND TIME WE HEARD LIGHTING DUST, AND PEOPLE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICED

The second one is mildly more interesting, as we'll get some Daring Do

Third one seems to get where shit gets great. I'm not excited for the villain, as she'll probably have little characterization due to how short is the special. But hell, THIS...

starlight_glimmer_eg_by_racoonkun-db0y7k

THIS HOTTIE IS PONY STARLIGHT :squee:

• Brohoof 2

Even if the 3rd special isn't what you want to see (ex: you wanted Sunset meeting up with Celestia and Not have Starlight appear at all), you can always read or write some fan fiction that fulfills your wishes.

As I always say, "I'm more curious than furious about how the showrunners will tell the story".

Plus, the DVD comes out about a week after my birthday!

13 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Probably meant to be the "Nice person that's secretly a villain" type character like gloriosa was. Most likely obsessed with Daring do memorabilia, and swipes the stuff and tries to pin it on dash, thinking she's an easy patsy (and dash probably IS because she's a meathead)

And yeah, most probably everyone but sunset and starlight will get put into limbo so it can be STARLIGHT SAVES THE DAY like the IDW discord arc was.

Give her a chance, we'll get together, have a few laughs. The magical wenches and princesses out there are getting better and better and we're stuck with another Twannabe session starring a random gal with a MacGuffin. This brilliant innovation shall bring all the kids back to pony.

17 hours ago, Marimo said:

I think at this point it's not really on Sunset's to-do list, at least as far as the writers are concerned. Like I don't think that would be a driving point of a story, more like if for some odd reason Celestia just happened to be around they might share a line or two to acknowledge that they're good now, and then just carry on like normal.

Meeting your beloved student who's been missing for almost a decade wouldn't be resolved in a short exchange of words. That's easily worth an entire episode on its own.

I'm just gonna chalk it up to the writers not wanting to inadvertently copy the thousands of fanfics that already have the two reconcile.

Which is one drawback of having a large fandom - it limits what the show writers can do and we wind up with episodes like Cart Before the Ponies and Princess Spike

(edited)
20 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

I'm just gonna chalk it up to the writers not wanting to inadvertently copy the thousands of fanfics that already have the two reconcile.

But they don't read fanfics. Fanfics shouldn't actually stop them from being able to do that. Even if someone claims that their fanfic is similiar, they have the ability to deny they ever stole that idea.

Edited by Marimo

All I'll say is that while the SunsetXStarlight special is the one that has me most interesting, I am especially intrigued by the second one. We'll finally get to see Daring Do and while the plot sound a little like "Rarity Investigates," I still have  feeling it won't entirely be a rehash. :)

sunset_helper__5_by_uotapo-d73izt8.jpg

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Marimo said:

But they don't read fanfics. Fanfics shouldn't actually stop them from being able to do that. Even if someone claims that their fanfic is similiar, they have the ability to deny they ever stole that idea.

It's still a legal headache they don't want to go through - they KNOW without reading anything that people would want the two to reconcile, so instead of going with that, they (very stupidly, IMO) kept Sunset in the mirror world even though there was nothing keeping her there anymore

Gotta milk spin-offs for all they're worth, after all

21 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

It's still a legal headache they don't want to go through - they KNOW without reading anything that people would want the two to reconcile, so instead of going with that, they (very stupidly, IMO) kept Sunset in the mirror world even though there was nothing keeping her there anymore

I think you're being kind of presumptuous in assuming that is why they aren't going with Sunset meeting up with Celestia again, because fans are interested in that and they think fanfics have been made of that idea, as opposed to maybe they just didn't think it was that important enough to make that a focus.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Marimo said:

I think you're being kind of presumptuous in assuming that is why they aren't going with Sunset meeting up with Celestia again, because fans are interested in that and they think fanfics have been made of that idea, as opposed to maybe they just didn't think it was that important enough to make that a focus.

The more fools they, then. Oh well.

I'm glad we'll be seeing the Shadowbolts again, possibly even Dean Cadence as well. Not to mention finally seeing Sunset as a unicorn again when she heads back to Equestria and meets Starlight Glimmer for the first time.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 2:06 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

That's the one I'm the most interested in, too. 

I'm also hoping we'll see a reconciliation between Sunset Shimmer & Princess Celestia at some point during the special.

That might be difficult since the special is only twenty-two minutes in length and there is only so much that can be included without making it appear as being crammed in and completely disjointed. Had this one been its own movie then I could see a reconciliation but the time limit might mean it had to be removed unless they somehow managed to sneak it in without compromising everything else. I want to see Sunset reconcile with Celestia as much as the next EQG and Sunset fan, but it needs to be given the appropriate dedication towards it rather than a poor effort.

• Brohoof 1

Interesting...here's hoping Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise won't be completely invalidated, though at least one scene in it has been completely debunked.  Like everyone else though, I'm most intrigued by that last short.  Have Hasbro sold out or will we actually get a decent story out of it?  The synopsis sounds promising enough though.  

6 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Interesting...here's hoping Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise won't be completely invalidated, though at least one scene in it has been completely debunked.  Like everyone else though, I'm most intrigued by that last short.  Have Hasbro sold out or will we actually get a decent story out of it?  The synopsis sounds promising enough though.  

What scene was debunked?

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

What scene was debunked?

There's a part where Sunset tells Sci-Twi that Flash likes her for her, and not for her resemblance to pony Twilight.  Of course, that was debunked pretty much immediately at the start of Legend of Everfree, and even the book version contains that retcon.  Well, it's not actually a retcon in the film canon but it is in the book canon.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 0:33 AM, AlbaTross said:

There's a part where Sunset tells Sci-Twi that Flash likes her for her, and not for her resemblance to pony Twilight.  Of course, that was debunked pretty much immediately at the start of Legend of Everfree, and even the book version contains that retcon.  Well, it's not actually a retcon in the film canon but it is in the book canon.

The books--the ones not adapted from the movies--usually have no impact on the movies as you can watch them without reading "Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine" and "Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise" so this debunked scene wouldn't have damaged the credibility of Legend of Everfree. As for the books adapted from the movies... Those tend to fix some mistakes while changing and omitting others so it's up to individuals to determine what to follow and consider canon.

2 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The books--the ones not adapted from the movies--usually have no impact on the movies as you can watch them without reading "Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine" and "Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise" so this debunked scene wouldn't have damaged the credibility of Legend of Everfree. As for the books adapted from the movies... Those tend to fix some mistakes while changing and omitting others so it's up to individuals to determine what to follow and consider canon.

I never meant to imply there was any bearing on the movie's credibility.  It's the book's credibility that's tossed out.  Well, at least that one scene anyways.  I did kind of enjoy the book though so I hope the rest of it isn't thrown out the window.  In this case though I wouldn't have minded if the book moved a little bit away from an A canon-B canon mentality to maybe having the books be a slightly different, albeit still almost identical canon.  It was more distracting for me that the Legend of Everfree book didn't acknowledge the previous book than the film not acknowledging it.  Maybe there could have been a way to slightly modify that scene to suit the book series while still relatively faithfully following the storyline of the movie.

As for the direct adaptations...I think they're on a downward slope, but I'm a sucker so I keep buying them.  My favourite "correction" has to be changing DJPon3's car from a literal transformer to just a regular car that can somehow fit two very large speakers in its trunk, in addition to 8 girls, a dog and a ton of instruments.  I tried considering the possibility that she took multiple trips but it sure doesn't read like that.  My big beef with The Legend of Everfree adaptation is that surprisingly enough, not enough changes were made, especially with the songs that were all kept in.  I can only think of one, maybe two that should have stayed songs while the rest should have been replaced with dialogue, inner monologues, etc.  Songs work in a movie, but less so in a book.  Ironically enough, my least favourite of the movies (the first one) has the best adaptation IMHO.

19 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

I never meant to imply there was any bearing on the movie's credibility.  It's the book's credibility that's tossed out.  Well, at least that one scene anyways.  I did kind of enjoy the book though so I hope the rest of it isn't thrown out the window.  In this case though I wouldn't have minded if the book moved a little bit away from an A canon-B canon mentality to maybe having the books be a slightly different, albeit still almost identical canon.  It was more distracting for me that the Legend of Everfree book didn't acknowledge the previous book than the film not acknowledging it.  Maybe there could have been a way to slightly modify that scene to suit the book series while still relatively faithfully following the storyline of the movie.

As for the direct adaptations...I think they're on a downward slope, but I'm a sucker so I keep buying them.  My favourite "correction" has to be changing DJPon3's car from a literal transformer to just a regular car that can somehow fit two very large speakers in its trunk, in addition to 8 girls, a dog and a ton of instruments.  I tried considering the possibility that she took multiple trips but it sure doesn't read like that.  My big beef with The Legend of Everfree adaptation is that surprisingly enough, not enough changes were made, especially with the songs that were all kept in.  I can only think of one, maybe two that should have stayed songs while the rest should have been replaced with dialogue, inner monologues, etc.  Songs work in a movie, but less so in a book.  Ironically enough, my least favourite of the movies (the first one) has the best adaptation IMHO.

I remember hearing about that "correction". It does make that scene more believable in that she had a regular car, but you can't deny that having a car that can transform into a DJ's music center would be an awesome thing to have. I heard the Legend of Everfree adaptation kept most things intact--I did look it up on the wiki later to confirm--so one has to wonder that perhaps they thought there wasn't much that needed to be changed.

On 2017-05-11 at 1:00 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

I remember hearing about that "correction". It does make that scene more believable in that she had a regular car, but you can't deny that having a car that can transform into a DJ's music center would be an awesome thing to have. I heard the Legend of Everfree adaptation kept most things intact--I did look it up on the wiki later to confirm--so one has to wonder that perhaps they thought there wasn't much that needed to be changed.

The LoE adaptation certainly does keep most things intact.  The problem is they probably should have found some alternatives to the music sequences, and to make matters worse, Perditta Finn clearly didn't have the final version of some of the songs, and because I'm not musically inclined I couldn't always imagine the melody.  Keep in mind, this adaptation has more songs in it than the Rainbow Rocks book, which was literally about a musical showcase.  I think the song the Rainbooms play at the end should have stayed in, and I could deal with the bus song from the beginning being in there, but the rest not so much as there are far more effective ways to have a scene in a book.  Songs are often used in movies and episodes as a means to make exposition and monologues more entertaining anyways.

2 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

The LoE adaptation certainly does keep most things intact.  The problem is they probably should have found some alternatives to the music sequences, and to make matters worse, Perditta Finn clearly didn't have the final version of some of the songs, and because I'm not musically inclined I couldn't always imagine the melody.  Keep in mind, this adaptation has more songs in it than the Rainbow Rocks book, which was literally about a musical showcase.  I think the song the Rainbooms play at the end should have stayed in, and I could deal with the bus song from the beginning being in there, but the rest not so much as there are far more effective ways to have a scene in a book.  Songs are often used in movies and episodes as a means to make exposition and monologues more entertaining anyways.

The Friendship Games adaptation took out all of the songs except for the CHS Pep Rally Song but some of the lines were changed. Perdita Finn I think intentionally changes the lyrics of the songs though I don't know why since they weren't really a problem to begin with.