Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are You A 90's Kid? What Does It Mean To Be One?

FemaleIntrovert1995

17 minutes ago, BlueStreak98 said:

I think in order to be a "90s kid" you have to actually be old enough to remember things that happened in the decade prior to 1999.

This is the way I see it too. It's not so much about when you were born but what you have experienced. I was born in 1992 and consider myself both a 90s and a 00s kid (I prefer the former label, though). I have a lot of nostalgic memories from both decades. The music that makes me feel nostalgic is mostly from the late 90s, but I can remember the cartoons from the early 00s better. It's mostly subjective. Of course, some might argue that I'm not really a 90s kid, as I can't remember the first half of that decade, but I wasn't a kid in the second half of the 00s anymore, so I think it evens out.

Those articles and memes about what you have to remember to be part of a specific generation are pretty pointless, though. It depends so much on where you came from – many of the things mentioned in those articles might not have been as popular in a different area.

• Brohoof 3

1992. So yeah, I'm a 90's kid. I'll take that over being a millennial any day. 

It was a more care free time. Political correctness wasn't a thing. The stability of the world wasn't threatened by SJWs. America wasn't as over the top family values and nationalistic. No one was concerned with the world ending. 

It was an exciting time for technology. The rise of the affordable cell phone. The portable gaming device. The rise of gaming culture in general and a tremendous spike in video game quality and diversity. The portable computer was becoming not only possible, but affordable. Internet access was on the rise in route to connecting the world. 

Entertainment was of arguably higher quality. Shows were darker and grittier but not depressing and overly realistic. Serious and mature themes were starting to get tackled with tact, most notably with cartoons. Absent was the censorship, the PC attitudes. Risks were being taken and the envelope was being pushed.  Stories were complex. Characters were memorable. And the appeal spanned across all age groups. This was also the time anime was staking it's claim in the west and millions were shown just what the world of animation was truly capable of. The golden age of Disney. The peak of super hero cartoons. The rise of Toonami. The breakout of Nickelodeon. And Cartoon Network becoming an entertainment juggernaut. 

Music was arguably better. It could even be seen as the last great decade for music. Grunge may have watered down the formula a bit, but some good music did come out of it. Alt. Rock and Punk were back in the mix. Heavy metal still remained strong, ditching the glam formula and either going down the route of angst driven, rap influenced nu-metal, or cranking the mid tempo intensity of post- thrash or following the European trend of melodic death metal. It was also the final decade of R&B, hip hop and rap remaining a diverse, underground genre, before breaking out into the mainstream, arguably becoming the mainstream. 

Movies were fun and grandiose. Special effects were more practical. Risks were allowed to be taken. The theater experience was still something special. 

The 90's seemed to be a decade of proper balance. Lots of things still seemed new and innovative. It was fun to become part of the trend. People weren't jaded and cynical. They were optimistic. Risks could be taken. There was more freedom to express oneself.  The decade that would follow just felt dark, tumultuous, confining and stagnant.  Yes, arguably the quality of life has gotten better, and many things are easier. Progress in many fields has been made. But the fun, energy, novelty and optimism are gone. 

In many peoples eyes, being a 90's kid seems like a privilege. The last to experience better days gone by. 

• Brohoof 2

I was born in 82. But, sadly I remember more of what happened in the 90’s early 2000’s I don’t know what that makes me to be perfectly honest.

i remember not being allowed to watch Ren and Stimpy or Rocko’s modern life. (As a teen even, apperantally they both were too violent and disgusting for my parents taste.) I only had Nickelodeon as a kid despite being able to watch the Disney channel from time to time when they gave you a free trial to get you to buy it

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly

I hardly remember anything from the 90s (I was born in 91). Probably because I had a bad attention span as result from a supposed mental disability, but turns out it was actually hearing problems. I was treated for that when I was about 5 years old, and I had a bit of trouble developing as result..... not to mention I DO have some form of autism. I suspect Aspengers, but I have yet to be professionally diagnosed. What little I remember was that, my family was at the lower end of middle class, so we where limited in many cases I now take for granted, like traveling, A LOT, and restaurants (and I mean SERIOUS restaurants, not fast food). I do remember watching some classic cartoons like the classic TMNT, Ghotsbusters and the like, but remember too little due to the aforementioned problems, and the plot and dialogues where certainly not on my list of priorities. I did loved Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (and Kimberly being a crush like every good ol' 90s kid included :smug:), sought to play videogames any second in the weekend (because I wasn't allowed to play in weekdays), special love for Mario. Started with a NES (mom had it before I was born), my first game ending was Super Mario World (my middle maternal aunt gave her SNES to me), later N64. As for TV shows, I loved watching Tom and Jerry on Fridays and Saturdays, my first grade was waking up at 5 am because school was about an hour away (reason why Tom and Jerry was for those days). My favorite channel was Carton Network, with Cow n' Chicken being my first show, I think :huh: (later followed by Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab). First animes where Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, and Dragon Ball. I also visited my paternal grandmother yearly in Bolivia, which I didn't minded much back then, and my eldest maternal aunt had a beach house in the middle of nowhere, which was the shit. My first big change of status quo was in 1997, where we moved to Fort Benning, Georgia, because dad was taking classes in the academy. I've struggled processing the change,and never adapted at all, but my gaming and tv show watching expanded at that time (N64, DBZ, Pokemon....). Then my maternal grandpa died, first big depression episode..... and we moved to another city and spent my remaining childhood there, from the remaining 90s to early-mid 2000s 

Can't say what crazy stuff 90s pop culture was, because I didn't pay attention to it :lol: , in fact, when people joke about the 90s like they used to do with the 80s, I become surprised the 90s had that stuff as well :D 

Edited by Steve Piranha

I was born in 1996 but I do remember a tiny bit of the 90s but I remember the 2000s more. In fact, it was the late 90s when I started to like NASCAR. My favorite drivers back when I was 3 years old were Dale Earnhardt and Bobby Labonte (My 3 year old self liked the green #18 Interstate Batteries car for some reason). 

I also started to like weather back in that age too when I would watch the lightning strike across the South Florida sky from a window.

• Brohoof 1

Not really. I was a pretty sheltered child (home-schooled and Autistic), so I didn't really experience much of 90's culture.

Despite being born 1993, I'm definitely more of a 2000's kid.

Honestly, I prefer the popular culture (music, fashion, etc.) of the 80's far more than that of 90's, 2000's, or 2010's.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

I was born in '90, so that makes me both a 90's baby and a 90's kid. I spent my childhood in the mid-late 90's and the early 2000's; I have fond memories of that time, growing up with shows from Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Disney, as well as some anime. We didn't have those channels in Canada at the time, so we got those shows on Canadian channels YTV, Teletoon, and Family, because of the CRTC requiring a quota of "Canadian content" for children's TV channels. I was pretty unhappy about that, to be honest, but still, I got to enjoy some of the best cartoons ever! Also, I didn't get into gaming until the late 90's with the PlayStation, so I missed out on some classics like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, TLOZ:OOT, and Super Smash Bros., but I did play Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Final Fantasy VIII (didn't get into it).

My sister was born in '88, so that makes her an 80's baby and a 90's kid.

I am a 90s and it's not about only being born in the 90s but getting into the shows, songs, fads and other things that made the 90s possible. Pokemon came out in the late 90s and I've been hooked on it ever since I saw the first movie. In addition, kid shows were amazing back then since they really focused on nailing certain skills and not just making it seem like kids don't know anything. 

On 11/11/2017 at 8:28 PM, Denim&Venom said:

No one was concerned with the world ending.

I don't know what 90s you're referring to. The tail end of the 90s was full to the brim of that Y2K nonsense.

This romanticizing of the 90s is so silly, I can't even. I grew up in that decade, and enjoyed the early to mid 00s so much more.

6 minutes ago, Envy said:

I don't know what 90s you're referring to. The tail end of the 90s was full to the brim of that Y2K nonsense.

This romanticizing of the 90s is so silly, I can't even. I grew up in that decade, and enjoyed the early to mid 00s so much more.

Well yeah, it was nonsense. But more in a fantastical disaster movie type of end of the world.  Once 9/11 hit, everyone got more convinced that the world was gonna end in their life time. That brings down the mood quite a bit. 

And no, it wasn't all doom and gloom. But there were more than a few clear points where things changed. 

Well I was born in 89 so I could qualify as a 90's kid, but most of my childhood is full of 80's stuff. My parents recorded lots of music on VCR (TV show openings, music clips...) and my autistic older sister constantly repeated things about her own favorite media.

A pity I don't recall much media that's actually from that period, aside from some Loony Toons, Nickelodeon, and Disney classics.

Gaming was practically nonexistent in my life back then, which is funny because it's basically my main entertainment nowadays. We did have a game console, I think an Atari, but I just played a couple shitty games at one point, then the "magic" wore off and I forgot all about it. I discovered PCs pretty late, though I enjoyed the floppy discs before they went out of commission. People talked a lot about Counter Strike, but I rarely played games myself; Super Mario World on a floppy my uncle gave me, F-22 flight simulator from a classmate, the minigames in educational stuff...

Pokémon came to Turkey afterwards, and... that's all I can recall off the top of my head, for now.

Edited by Feather Spiral

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Technically born in the 90s but grew up in the 2000s. I kind of grumble about being a filthy zoomer

(edited)
13 hours ago, AveryGamerDude said:

I personally consider 90s kids to be anyone who was born in the 90s, and I do personally consider myself to be one.

I thought "90s kids" was supposed to refer to people who grew up in the 90s. So technically if you were born in the early 90s you would still fit that criteria, but someone born in the late 90s not so much, as they never really experienced the 90s.

You see, if we go by the definition of anyone born in the 90s being 90s kids, then that means that I'm an 80s kid, even though I was born just days before 1989. I have no recollection of the 80s at all.

Not that any of this matters, though. lol. As I've already posted in this topic, I am solidly someone who grew up in the 90s, but my best memories are from the early to mid 00s. So even though I'm technically a 90s kid, I don't tend to even identify with other people who use that label.

Edited by Envy

To me, being a 90's teenager was important for video games, computer and CRT monitors. Especially the highest quality stuff that the 90's had to offer. I was part of seeing the mp3 craze being born. Seeing how good technology was replaced by software and sometimes garbage.

But the 90's was also colored grey compared to my early early childhood in the 80's. A lot of depression, and everything was painted either white or grey to keep things bright.

• Brohoof 4